Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black List vs Spec Scout

Thought I'd start this thread for people to share their experiences with these two services to see how they measure up.

I've tried both, but it's still too early for my to seriously compare. But maybe some of you have more to share?

Here's my early experience so far:

I submitted my script THE TIME MACHINE to The Black List two weeks ago and paid for 3 reviews. Got one back so far and it was an 8/10. Got 54 impressions and 24 downloads as a result. One manager contacted me and wanted to read some more of my stuff. Still waiting for my other 2 reviews. So far I'm very happy with the service.

And I just got my Spec Scout report back today. I made it onto their Top Unrepped List with two considers and a recommend and a composite score of 72.8 (with 60 being the average score for pro specs).

Not really sure what to expect when my script goes live on their site. SS doesn't have nearly as much buzz as the BL. Plus their scores look less impressive, so I think that might be a factor. The "top list" cutoff on BL is 8/10, but only 68/100 for SS.

On the plus side, far less scripts have made the cutoff on SS. There's only 10 scripts listed on their Top Unrepped List, so any script that makes the grade will stand out more. Whereas up to 20 scripts make the cutoff each week on the BL. And the total number must be in the hundreds.

Another thing I like about SS is that they don't have scripts uploaded on the site, so anyone who wants to read it has to contact the writer. This way you know who's reading your script. But this also means less people will probably request it.

The SS report, however, is really long and detailed. And although that's great for the writer, I don't know if it's a good thing for pros who are browsing for scripts. I can't really see them reading through the whole thing. It's pages long! With the BL the comments are short and to the point, and it's very easy to read through multiple reviews without getting eye strain.

But really, I think the most important factor is how many pros use the service. It's pretty clear there's a lot of pros on the BL. Several of them even post on DD. But I have no idea what the situation is for SS.

Does anyone have any experience with getting script requests from their SS placement?

Are any of the pros on this board members of SS?

Have any pros requested a script through SS?

Have any pros even heard of Spec Scout?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Black List vs Spec Scout

Great numbers all around, Gary. Congrats.

I'm a little surprised you got that many downloads off an 8 rating. Is that typical? Not that an 8 isn't praise-worthy!

Regardless, glad to see your work is generating interest.
    Doug Johnson
    www.dojowrite.com

Comment

Originally posted by dojo View Post
      I'm a little surprised you got that many downloads off an 8 rating. Is that typical? Not that an 8 isn't praise-worthy!
      It's not as if the script is named "8" and the logline reads "This script scored an 8." The downloads mean it must sound like a great idea and the 8 just means it's well-executed and more likely than a 5 to be worth the time of the pro on the other end. If it's not a great idea then the 8 is pretty useless. Too many people overlooking this aspect IMO.
      "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
      Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

I'd actually be really curious to know how many downloads an 8 review gets on the average. And obviously, similar stats for a 9 and 10.

But I agree with Wait, I think the concept is an important factor. Especially now that the novelty value of high scores has worn off somewhat.

I believe someone noted on the other thread that one recommend newsletter had 20 scripts. In that sort of situation, I think the concept would be a major factor in how many downloads you get.

But here's what really interests me:

I paid for 3 reviews and still have 2 more coming. So if I get a second 8, how many more downloads will I get?

More? Less? About the same? Just a few?

I have no idea what to expect. I think it all depends on how many pros are actively following the BL. And whether it's the same pros each week who are doing the downloading.

Hopefully, we'll find out the answer soon.

Comment

Congratz on the 8 and 72.8 Gary!

As a sci-fi writer myself -- and a slav/Torontonian -- I'd love to read THE TIME MACHINE.
          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

What? There's two sci fi writing slavs in Toronto?!

Dammit!!!

I thought I was unique.

Oh well, at least I still have my webbed feet and superfluous nipple.

And if anyone wants to read my script, then just shoot me an email:

[email protected]

Comment

Of course. I'm sure Gary has a killer logline. I'm not overlooking that. (I assumed it.)

But I wasn't aware that scores were not sent out in the weekly emails along with the title/loglines etc. so thanks for the clarification, Wait!

And thanks for sharing the details of your experience here, Gary.
              Doug Johnson
              www.dojowrite.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
                I'd actually be really curious to know how many downloads an 8 review gets on the average.
                To date, I've received 31 downloads for my 8-rated script on BL.

Just to play devil's advocate, I'm not certain purchasing three reads right away is an optimal use of funds. Once you hit 8 or above, enjoy the heat, return those calls and e-mails, and only purchase another read should things turn cold. Just my two cents from personal experience.

Congrats on the great numbers across the board.

Comment

If I remember correctly, I believe someone said that the 8s and 9s were all lumped together in the newsletter, but that the 10s were featured seperately. Is that right?

And for the record, here's the logline I have up on BL:

While demonstrating a new form of energy to his niece and nephew, a quirky absent-minded professor accidentally sends his entire house 65 million years back in time.

He then embarks on a perilous journey, jumping through various time periods, in a search for clues that will help him plot a course back to the present, in a time machine he can't fully control, with a pair of kids who can't quite get along.

Comment

Originally posted by captainhaystack View Post
                    To date, I've received 31 downloads for my 8-rated script on BL.

Just to play devil's advocate, I'm not certain purchasing three reads right away is an optimal use of funds. Once you hit 8 or above, enjoy the heat, return those calls and e-mails, and only purchase another read should things turn cold. Just my two cents from personal experience.

Congrats on the great numbers across the board.
                    Nice! You must have a killer log! Did the 31 happen quickly over the course of a few days, or slowly accumulate over a longer period?

And it looks like I'm unintentionally following your advice.

I got my first review back in only 3 days, and was featured in the newsletter on the same day. Most of my downloads came in before my first week was up. Now I'm at the two week mark and my downloads have pretty much stopped. I got one yesterday, but I suspect that's one of my two remaining readers.

So now is the perfect time to get another review.

Comment

I believe someone said that the 8s and 9s were all lumped together in the newsletter, but that the 10s were featured seperately. Is that right?
                      That sounds right. I'd be curious what constitutes a 10. Has there been one yet...?

Your logline is...expensive. So long as it skews more toward Jurassic Park and Oz territory (rather than Time Machine), the concept should garner considerable interest. Good luck!

Comment

Nice! You must have a killer log! Did the 31 happen quickly over the course of a few days, or slowly accumulate over a longer period?
                        It's pretty sharp, and cuts across several genres. If you're curious, here's how the LL looks on the BL: https://blcklst.com/members/script/4462

As for the accumulation of downloads, it was unorthodox (and possibly a result of being a Top Five download of the First Month). Received nearly 12 downloads before I ever got back a single paid read. Received an anonymous 9 rating from an industry insider. My first two paid reads came back within a week of each other. One was a 6 and the other an 8. The average of the three ratings made me eligible for the Top Uploads, where I stayed for nearly two weeks. It's during that time I received an additional 12 downloads or so.

A few months ago the script made the Finals of American Zoetrope, during which time I noticed a few additional downloads trickling in (probably just coincidental timing though). In the end the BL isn't so much about download totals but making contact with reps, agents, and making deals.

I was happy to field a few queries (nice to be receiving them rather than sending them) and reach a partnership with a rep moving forward.

I got my first review back in only 3 days, and was featured in the newsletter on the same day. Most of my downloads came in before my first week was up. Now I'm at the two week mark and my downloads have pretty much stopped.
                        Have you been contacted by reps, either in terms of this particular script's potential, or to seek additional specs you have to submit? That was the crux of my advice: give it at least a few weeks to generate buzz. Though the downloads may have stopped for the moment, that doesn't necessarily mean any of those downloads have resulted in reads. Often assistants or reps download the script and don't get to it for a week or two or three. Even if you do score another 8 or 9 with the next paid read, many of the same genre-appropriate readers will see the same title and think, I just downloaded that title last week. I suppose it could stir a bit of urgency to read it sooner, but consider the converse (and this has happened to many who stack paid reads on the same timetable): you get a 6 back.

Personally, after receiving an 8 (and inquiries), I wouldn't pay for another read unless it's a significantly new draft aimed at rekindling a cold trail...

...but, it's a new digital frontier and none of us are all-knowing experts, so may all your hard work and hustle pay off!

Comment

That sounds right. I'd be curious what constitutes a 10. Has there been one yet...?

Your logline is...expensive. So long as it skews more toward Jurassic Park and Oz territory (rather than Time Machine), the concept should garner considerable interest. Good luck!
                          I seem to recall someone on the super long thread saying they got a 10. Or maybe a 10 showed up on the early stats reports. Or both. Not sure. So don't quote me on that.

And my script is definitely more JP. Adult scientist plus two kids on an eye-popping adventure. Only in addition to dinosaurs I also have cavemen, Civil War soldiers and a futuristic underground city controlled by an evil AI.

An it's definitely expensive. My SpecScout report listed the budget as ULTRA HIGH.

Comment

It's pretty sharp, and cuts across several genres. If you're curious, here's how the LL looks on the BL: https://blcklst.com/members/script/4462
                            Nice log! Surprised you didn't indicate the time period though. I had no idea it happens in the 1700s until I clicked on the reader review.

And congrats on advancing so far in so many contests! And best of luck with the rep! That's really great to hear the BL is helping writers get ahead.

As for myself, so far I've only been contacted by a single person. It was a manager. And they wanted to know if I was repped and whether they could read something else of mine.

I also mentioned my BL review in query letters. So far I've received 21 script requests. But I haven't heard back from anyone yet.

I'm actually hoping to get another high BL score so I can use that as an excuse to touch base with those 21 people. That might encourage them to actually read my script. Or to at least tell their assistant to hurry up and read it. I'll be doing that with my Spec Scout placement regardless, but more people are familiar with BL and I think success there definitely carries more weight.

Considering I just finished the script two weeks ago, I'm pretty happy with the way things are going.

And may all your hustle pays off as well!

Comment

Nice log! Surprised you didn't indicate the time period though. I had no idea it happens in the 1700s until I clicked on the reader review.
                              That was a calculated risk. Many readers see "period piece" and immediately click NEXT! I didn't feel that it was a conceptual cheat as the movie parallels nearly every aspect of our current war on terror, and the cultural issues that orbit it.

Considering I just finished the script two weeks ago, I'm pretty happy with the way things are going.
                              Definitely. All on a first draft? Impressive.

That might encourage them to actually read my script. Or to at least tell their assistant to hurry up and read it.
                              More likely the latter. The BL is more about putting you in contact with reps who will want to work with you on the script (maximizing it's potential; addressing marketability concerns) and know what else you're working on. Especially when you're shopping a concept with such an extremely high budget.

In all likelihood, a high-risk blockbuster concept from an "amateur" (we all have that label until we sell something) is more of a writing sample than a viable sale. That's not to say you won't sell it for a truckload, I just wouldn't anticipate it. Not trying to be negative or overly cynical, it's just the reality of the Hollywood realm: unless you're dealing with established source material (adapted from TV, book, comics) or something that is assured big franchise potential (Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Jurassic Park) then the money simply won't be there.

so far I've only been contacted by a single person. It was a manager. And they wanted to know if I was repped and whether they could read something else of mine.
                              Do you have something else to shop? At least a logline or two that could skew towards a more manageable budget (contained thrillers are always hot) to develop with a rep?

You definitely have an attention-grabbing concept (I gotta know how civil war soldiers react to dinosaurs), and I wish you luck using the BL springboard to dive into the Hollywood pool. Hope your next review comes back a 9 or 10 and you land an ass-kicking deal!

Comment

Working...
                              X