Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factotum

Went to a sold out screening at 8pm on a Monday night in the West Village (since I'm sure whiskey's keeping track).

For those of you unfamiliar, this is Matt Dillon playing Charles Bukowski's alter ego, Harold Chunaski. He's a drunk who wants to be a writer ... so he reminds me of a few of the DD faithful. In fact, this should probably be required viewing for noobs for that very reason.

Seriously though, this was a beautifully shot character study of a barely functional alcoholic on his way to skid row. Dillon is great, as usual, as is Lili Taylor as his usual girlfriend. I really don't even see the purpose of having Marisa Tomei in this, though her transformation is one of the highlights. She's not the usual fresh faced beauty, but a used up drunk slut ... so much so I barely recognized her in her introductory scene. Finally, Fisher Stephens takes a nice turn as a gambling buddy ... I just wish he'd been in the film longer, but Hank had to go blow that job just like all the others.

This is a scathingly dark comedy, but I noticed that even the sophisticated Village audience stopped laughing after a while, because the guy was just too pathetic. I don't think the audience turned on the film or the character, I just think things got too intense to laugh anymore despite the humor. If I had to describe it briefly I'd say it's a funnier version of Leaving Las Vegas.

Definitely not for everyone, but if you like Bukowski, character studies, and/or depressing comedies about self-destructive behavior, this is worth seeing.
    http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Re: Factotum

i am all about depressives and self-destruction. can't wait for this
    If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

Bump.

Check out this film. The last scene voiceover is priceless.

Jeff Shurtleff
      "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Post Office is his best work; in truth, I didn't even enjoy Factotum so wondered why that novel had bee nturned into a film.
        Still, Matt Dillon's a class act so I did mean to check this one out. Thanks for reviving this thread.
        Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

I love Post Office and Women. Didn't dig the Dillon flick too much, though.

Comment

Ohmigod, this sounds amazing... thanks for putting it on my radar.

Immediately off to see if/when it's playing in LA...

Edit: Wow, I'm only four years out of the loop. LOL @ self
            Ever thus to deadbeats.

Comment

Working...
            X