Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was, at one time in my life, a taxi driver. I was a moody, maladjusted loner. But I never tried to take out the President.

Why not?

Because I lacked the discipline and initiative it would have taken to shave my head, do a bunch of pull ups, and construct a handy gun-concealing device inside the sleeve of my coat. Discipline and initiative I would have learned in the US armed services.

Comment

ad

wow. okay. he was in the military. there is no other possibly

z

Comment

No, there are other possiblities.

But, that doesn't make them correct.

He served. He was a vet. It's a part of the story. A major part. That's it, right there. To say that he was "playing" or not a vet is just missing the movie. I just typed in "was travis bickle a vet?" in google, and you know what?

EVERY hit I got describes him as being A WAR VET. Disgruntled, loner, whatever... but A WAR VET.

So there.:lol

Comment

John Hinckley, Jr. was too young to serve in vietnam. Doubtful that he would have anyway, since he came from a prominent, wealthy family.

He was, however, a socially maladjusted and introverted loner.

Bonus trivia:

Travis Bickle's shoulder patch reads "King Kong Company 1968-70", suggesting that he served two tours.

However, there is no record of any King Kong Company in the Army, so this may be entirely fictional.

Comment

are you saying that you only sympathize with psychotics who served (or say they served) in the armed forces?
            Wow. You're building up quite the straw man. I never said anything about a psychotic vet. You brought up psychotics as being sympathetic. I stated why a vet, who has REASON to be angry with the world (and a reason that can be understood by the man on the street, not a reason that can be understood only by advanced psychologists - the latter is fine if they make up the movie-going public), is more sympathetic, IMO. At least certainly with me.
            you don't sympathize with bundy and dahmer? they were horribly tortured people.
            No.
            what about aileen wuornos. charlize theron created a wonderful portrayal of this killer in 'monster'.
            I submit that not all psychotics are created equal. And yes, Wournos was sympathetic, again because the film showed explicitly (in Taxi Driver it was more implicit, and he clearly was less sympathetic) WHY she may have become who she was. Simply possessing the label "psychotic" does not alone engender empathy. Presenting to me the circumstances from which the psychosis springs may very well, on the other hand. Thus, to start a fresh story with "Travis Bickle is psychotic, now watch him lay waste" is cutting to the chase, but is not EARNING the viewer's empathy. That is all.
            you don't sympathize because they weren't vets? or is it because they don't say they are vets? or you don't sympathize because they were killers. strange criteria (and a bit hypocritical it seems)
            Again with the straw man. Write back when you can manage to make some sense.
            and, i'm not sure what being a vet has to do with illustrating man's duality.
            Neither do I. So why you're saying it is a mystery to me.

I AM FINISHED WITH THIS SUBJECT. THE LAST WORD IS UP FOR GRABS.

Comment

This thread is blowing my mind. And not in a good way.

Comment

Well stated! By the fell'er that provoked it all!:rollin

Comment

kitnerboy

dude. that's some damnhellass research. however, i myself served two tours in king kong company. i don't remember any bickle, though

z

Comment

Working...
                  X