WATCHMEN -- the reviews are coming in -so far so good...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WATCHMEN -- the reviews are coming in -so far so good...

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
    A little detour here...

You couldn't pay me to watch another Tyler Perry movie; not my bag and I don't think he's all that good of a writer or director. But...

But I'll cop that I admire the man tremendously. I don't see a scam anywhere in this... he lived the hardscrabble life while realizing what we all dream of doing in a true DIY way: writing plays and putting them up himself, building a solidly loyal audience and then using that to make a transition to film.

Bottom line: He makes films and he gets to make them his way. Sneer at the man, but he's livin' the dream.

And in these days where the hardscrabble life is becoming more and more accessable, the Tyler Perry arc to becoming a cinematic player is one that is seriously more valid than shopping scripts to be added to a rinse-lather-repeat tower of unread wasted paper.

True, but to me, he comes off more like a businessman than an entertainer. That's all.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Re: WATCHMEN

The key to WATCHMEN's success isn't people who know and love the comic book, it's people who have never heard of it and see the movie "cold". The fans will make for a great opening weekend, but if the film doesn't satisfy people unfamiliar with the characters and story - word of mouth will kill it.

The first round of "reviews" were a combo of fan sites (Ain't It Cool, etc) and some UK entertainment papers. Now we're starting to get a couple of non-fan critics - and they are not matching the fan sites opinions. The Hollywood Reporter review is from the perspective of the average ticket buyer who hasn't read the book... and gets confused by some elements and turned off by others.

If you make a movie for the fans, you are making that movie for a limited audience.

Tyler Perry - In Patrick Goldstein's column a few days ago he lamented that there were no African American studio chiefs... then realized Perry owns his own studio that *regularly* makes films that open at #1, and has 2 TV shows on the air.

Tyler Perry & Watchmen - Here's the connection... both have a built in audience who will show up on opening weekend. But Perry is making films at low budgets for his niche audience, and working to expand his audience outside that niche through casting and subject matter. WATCHMEN - not low budget, Billy Cudrup is the biggest "name" (compare this to cute little Rudy Huxtable playing a whore), and may be playing to the fans rather than the rest of the world.

Of course, we don't know crap until we've seen the movie.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
        True, but to me, he comes off more like a businessman than an entertainer. That's all.
        Perry wrote his plays, produced the plays himself, produced low budget film versions of his plays out of his own pocket, then produced his first theatrical out of his own pocket... And every one of his films has been an audience pleaser - his target audience is entertained and keeps coming back for more.

Any of us can do the same. Do you love your stories and believe in them enough to produce them out of your pocket?

To me, the earth is flat.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:

Comment

Q: What do you call a fantastic screenwriter with no business sense?
          A: A dishwasher.

A joke, of course. But realistically, a screenwriter needs to have at least some business savvy, even if it boils down to finding that right person to do the business-thinking business for them. And even choosing the subject matter of your next script is (generally) a business decision in itself.

Hell, one of my idols -- the legendary Roger Corman -- is the consummate film businessman.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
            Perry wrote his plays, produced the plays himself, produced low budget film versions of his plays out of his own pocket, then produced his first theatrical out of his own pocket... And every one of his films has been an audience pleaser - his target audience is entertained and keeps coming back for more.

Any of us can do the same. Do you love your stories and believe in them enough to produce them out of your pocket?

To me, the earth is flat.

- Bill

I'm not jealous of the man; let him do what he does. I just feel he's just a flash in the pan in the long run. That's all.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              The key to WATCHMEN's success isn't people who know and love the comic book, it's people who have never heard of it and see the movie "cold". The fans will make for a great opening weekend, but if the film doesn't satisfy people unfamiliar with the characters and story - word of mouth will kill it.

The first round of "reviews" were a combo of fan sites (Ain't It Cool, etc) and some UK entertainment papers. Now we're starting to get a couple of non-fan critics - and they are not matching the fan sites opinions. The Hollywood Reporter review is from the perspective of the average ticket buyer who hasn't read the book... and gets confused by some elements and turned off by others.

If you make a movie for the fans, you are making that movie for a limited audience.

Tyler Perry - In Patrick Goldstein's column a few days ago he lamented that there were no African American studio chiefs... then realized Perry owns his own studio that *regularly* makes films that open at #1, and has 2 TV shows on the air.

Tyler Perry & Watchmen - Here's the connection... both have a built in audience who will show up on opening weekend. But Perry is making films at low budgets for his niche audience, and working to expand his audience outside that niche through casting and subject matter. WATCHMEN - not low budget, Billy Cudrup is the biggest "name" (compare this to cute little Rudy Huxtable playing a whore), and may be playing to the fans rather than the rest of the world.

Of course, we don't know crap until we've seen the movie.

- Bill

But what about the narrative? It's the 1930s through the 1980s, and if you were born during those years, you've no excuse to not be familiar with some of the story's elements, let alone the GN, which sold like hot cakes when the first trailer came out.

Don't forget the INTERNET...

Besides, this isn't the typical comic book/superhero film. This is "The Wild Bunch" for superhero flicks.
              Last edited by Madbandit; 02-28-2009, 08:00 AM.

Comment

This movie will be interesting to watch the box office for sure. When the comic first came out it come out to a mixed reaction with some people hating it immensely. I would expect it to be received the same way for all the new people experiencing Watchmen for the first time on film.

If I had to guess I would say it will do fair at the US box, much better internationally(very much better) and grow in popularity on home video.

Comment

I still love the critic that said (and I'm paraphrasing) 'the comic book is an artform as American as Jazz' while he gave it a negative review.

I wonder if he knows the GN creative team were Brits? Probably not, so his review should be stricken from the record.

I can't wait to see this one, it looks like they got it right.
                  Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

it will open bigger than 300.

Comment

I really, really don't think so... I'm getting Snakes on a Plane effect here. Lots of internet chatter, but I'm thinking that reality won't deliver.

This hasn't the pop culture cred of Spiderman or Superman... this is niche (seriously, most folks don't know what Watchmen is). It'll open fairly big just because it's an event (and because there's no competition opening against it), but it's not gonna be supernatural.
                      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

If Watchmen opens bigger than 300, Ben will leave these boards for two weeks.
                        The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

Ben already owes us a month!

Check the RT Top Critics...

- Bill
                          Free Script Tips:

Comment

OKAY folks, I might leave .....but, but...but

Since this movie is making me sleepless in Toronto.
                            And I feel the magic of cinematic greatness coming this Friday.
                            I think we're in for the next big thing since THE MATRIX.

If WATCHMEN does not surpass 300's record, I will
                            leave DD forum for 300 hours. Yes 300 big hours.

Here is the concensus of "Watchmen" from my survey God -- www.rottentomatoes...
                            "Consensus: Visually powerful,
                            intense and uncompromising, Watchmen is an epic comic-book
                            film whose technical and thematic strengths overwhelm its narrative shortcomings."

I feel like dancing and singing...
                            "Jai ho" Lyrics From Movie Slumdog Millionaire with English translation...

Jai ho(May there be Victory)
                            Jay ho
                            Aaja Aaja Jind Shamiyane Ke Tale
                            Aaja Jariwale Nile Aasman Ke Tale
                            (Come on my Life, under the canopy Come under the blue shinig sky)
                            Jai Ho, Jai Ho – 2
                            Ratti Ratti Sachi Maine Jaan Gavayi Hai
                            (I lost my life day by day)
                            Nach Nach Koylo Pe Raat Bitayi Hai
                            (Spent nights by dancing on burning Coal)

etc..
                            You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
                            Paul Harvey
                            -
                            -
                            -

Comment

But what about the narrative? It's the 1930s through the 1980s, and if you were born during those years, you've no excuse to not be familiar with some of the story's elements,
                              Ah, yes. The much coveted 29-79 demographic

Comment

With all the books and merchandising out already??? And the people who crave this genre waiting through one long winter to go lay their $10.50 down??? For what it's worth, my guess; $70 million... easy!
                                Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Working...
                                X