Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Moon

I'm with you all, it *is* sad when poor movies are made and become popular. I just think it's important to distinguish between bad and female-oriented. It sounds like Twilight is both (I don't know, since I haven't seen the movies and don't plan to; one trailer was enough for me). But some of the comments I've read above seemed to be trashing the movies more for being female-oriented than for being bad.

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
    It gives them ideas. First we're making movies for them, and the next thing you know they'll want to vote.
    "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
    ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
      Sort of. In my opinion this story is a way for women to project themselves into a hollow shell of a character to live vicariously a regular girl with two hot guys fighting over her.
      Which is pretty much the inverse scenario of every Judd Apatow film. But funnier.
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

Originally posted by Lembit View Post
        In the future teenage girls will become taxpayers and they will give birth to babies.
        A good number of them already are.
        sigpic

Website
        Tweets
        Book

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
          These Twilight-hating threads full of males bashing the movies really crack me up. You guys are not the target demographic. The story, so I understand (haven't seen either film), is a basic story of forbidden love, a concept many people of the other gender find sad, romantic, and appealing. You may think the movies are terrible, but they're working for the teen girls they're aimed at.

Two movies were made for a female demographic and that demographic is liking them. Get over it.

Sort of like the way guys project themselves onto action heroes and vicariously kick the bad guys' asses and get the girl, no?

Yes, because no other mediocre movies based on pre-existing material with a huge fan base have ever been made, huh?
          Brilliantly put. How many films does HW make for women/girls? Sweet FA. While Twilight was mediocre at best, the books, excruciating, at least women exist for the moment as a potential audience. Usually we don't get a look in.
          sigpic

Website
          Tweets
          Book

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
            That's great, but they are liking them because the films cater to their fantasies, and not because the films have any artistic merit. They are bad films, which is keeping other demographics at bay, just like how bad action films will attract males simply because it's action and females won't care.

A bad movie is a bad movie, and I hate bad movies. Doesn't matter which demographic is the target audience. There is simply no excuse for a bad film being made. Absolutely none at all. And it sickens me when people love terrible films without realizing that they are terrible.

Oh well. That's Hollywood.
            How many CRAP films have been made for fanboys? The list is so long, I'd run out of megabites to list them.

The major worry here seems to be that for once a big chunk of money went into a film made entirely for the female demographic - the kind of film that a good number of writers here have no desire to write.

You're right. It is an OUTRAGE.
            sigpic

Website
            Tweets
            Book

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq
              There's no reason it couldn't have had better acting, and a better script.
              You've read the book, right?

It's not like they could stray far from the source, so you have to consider what they started with in any assessment of the writing.
              sigpic

Website
              Tweets
              Book

Comment

Originally posted by montevideo View Post
                Most of Edward's lines are: how much love he has for her and how he will die if she's not there -- with his puppy eyes (gag)... this is basically all he does in the film!! it's so cliche that it works for these helpless teens...
                Is it so terrible that this talks directly to many teenaged girls? That what they want, above all else, is to be loved passionately? Is that so terrible? Because, when it comes to Hollywood exploiting romance for dollars, I'm way more offended by the likes of Bride Wars than Twilight.

I mean, it's about love. Your kind of love? No. It's not even mine. But it's still better than two women fighting over a frigging marriage celebrant. Seriously. Now THAT was insulting to all women. And at least they've stopped sweating over the latest Roxy tote for five minutes. I mean that depresses me no end.

Twilight...? It's not great movie making, but it's harmless. And there are suddenly millions of girls around the world coming out of that movie believing that real love exists - despite all evidence to the contrary.

I think it's sweet. (The dynamic, rather than the movie.)
                sigpic

Website
                Tweets
                Book

Comment

So what about the bad acting? Is there any excuse for that?
                  Blame the director for that. Not the story.
                  sigpic

Website
                  Tweets
                  Book

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                    It's actually no different than the courtly love of old, stories of knights committing great feats for the love of an unattainable woman. I guess it goes back to that whole thing where teenage girls want to feel like a princess up on a pedestal. The vampire is the new knight. The high school girl who's got some mystical element to her personality is the new princess.
                    I think they also want to feel safe. And they don't. Which is a really sad comment on the world, not them.
                    sigpic

Website
                    Tweets
                    Book

Comment

Right, let's blame the director, not the models who were randomly given lines to read and pose on front of a camera
                      Are you kidding me? You expect the actor/model (whatever) to audition for a part for a film with a budget the size of Twilight's and say, "No thanks. I'm not good enough"?

Yeah, I blame the director. And the producers. And whoever else cast the damn thing.

I mean, seriously? You blame a model (your own word) because they can't act?
                      sigpic

Website
                      Tweets
                      Book

Comment

Originally posted by Lembit View Post
                        I think that the Twilight Saga represents the views and values of an average teenage girl.
                        I hope not. I saw the first one and it was just a girl drooling over a guy and then waiting to be saved. It's the anti-Buffy.
                        what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Damn. 231 million and counting.

I'm tempted to give my protag some sharp teeth.

Just for the hell of it.
                          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

The whole Twilight phenom is very interesting to me - one big reason it that my HUSBAND has been infected by it. He has read all the books, he dragged me to the movie, etc. He is a born romantic - I think that is how he got hooked by the story. So, I think Nic has a point here - its the romance, the love story, that is hooking people.

Myself, I have an aversion to vampires, having met quite a few in my real life (the energy kind). So, I can't romanticize bloodsuckers, no matter how well the story is done - and I don't think these books or movies are done that well.

Haven't seen the newest movie, have only read a few pages of one of my husband's copies of one of the novels. Also, its very funny to me that the books are written by a lady who (I think) believes in chastity before marriage (I think she is Mormon). So in the scenes in the first movie where, Edward and his human girlfriend are making out, but of course can't "go all the way" because then he might suck her blood, I was trying not to let anyone around me hear my muffled hysterical laughter. Felt like I was viewing some strange bible lesson.
                            sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Is acting really that hard? Christ, look at Tom Cruise- he's insane and can act just fine
                              i think some of the best actors are kinda insane in some kinda way, lol. considering what they have to do for a living while convincing the masses.
                              One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                              X