Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's Wrong with this Summer's Movies?

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
    But they're all comedies. Comedies don't need complicated plots or intricate storytelling if they're funny. Imagine trying to write drama with an edge and still appeal to a PG-13 audience. And why would you try to make a drama without an edge? That's a TV movie, not a film.
    1 - Comedies need plot. Period.

2 - What is a "PG-13 audience"? There is no such thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
      1 - Comedies need plot. Period.

2 - What is a "PG-13 audience"? There is no such thing.
      Of course they need a plot. But a plot alone is not enough for a drama to be made. It needs to have an edge. Something harder and edgier.

A story doesn't have to be original in a comedy. It just has to hang together and be freally unny. While it's not easy to be funny, it has that to hang its hat on. Drama doesn't. To stand out from the crowd it has to be brilliant on many, many levels, AND it has to have an edge.

A PG-13 audience is one that won't be allowed to see any of the "great" films I listed above. Unfortunately, it's also the audience that the studios are keenest to find according to many of the posters here.
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

The thing is, thirteen-year-olds are catching the R-rated. They're just buying the PG-13 (hey, A-Team makes some money) and ducking over to the R.

Duh. Totally cocks up the BO, though.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I think this topic has been beaten to death. All you "everrything sucks", "the world's gonna end" mofeezy's are just repeating yourself over, and over again.

It's tiresome, and lame. LOCK this thread please MODS. Something.....
          I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

13yr olds and studios trying to find a way in to the age group... it's kinda funny, because it sounds like the studios are making it harder than it has to be... they're pre-teens, not aliens from another planet.

a film about the legend of zelda might be a good option in my view. or, the sims are popular for this age group... so, put a rebellious 13yr old boy in charge of controlling an unsuspecting family via the sims (real control, not imagined), and show how he learns to grow up and accept being part of his own family...

getting the rights to either is a bit wonky but legalese is another thread somewhere...

anyway, just my thoughts, worth zip.
            life happens
            despite a few cracked pots-
            and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
              A PG-13 audience is one that won't be allowed to see any of the "great" films I listed above.
              So the PG-13 audience is comprised of the younger teens that sneak into R-rated films?

Kids are going to see R-rated films no matter what. It's been going on long before I was born and it will continue to go on long after I'm dead.

Comment

It's probably a combination of many of the things that you guys have already addressed, but I think that bad marketing or better yet, mis-marketing, is a growing problem. For instance I was at a Dodger game and they kept running those neon ads that run along the upper deck, the movie that they were promoting was Sex in the City II, at a Dodger game? I'm sure an ad exec could justify spending that money, but I found it odd... remaking the A-Team and then gearing it towards teenagers who could careless... common sense seems to say market A-Team to 30-45 year old men, but then again that age group probably could careless about THAT particular 80's tv show... Just because an IP is familiar and can gather some juice that does not make it a hit movie... But it is worth the risk to EVERY studio so we will continue to get things like "rubix cube the movie", maybe a writer from this board will be fortunate enough to re-write that juggernaut, say you wouldn't and you are lying. I'm just sayin...

Comment

Working...
                X