Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: INCEPTION - Nolan's masterpiece!

Inception's gonna challenge people to write more intelligent mainstream fare (at least that's the wish-fulfillment dream).

Comment

I liked it. Solid B plus for me. There are some things I would have liked to see done differently, on a minor level, I thought that some of the protective subconscious devices were repetitive, i.e., the very literal "safe" or "fortress" imagery around protecting subconscious thoughts and desires. I would have liked to have seen something a bit more abstract in there. I thought the snow fortress scene was too long and also too repetitive, my major comment has to do with the emotional tone and trajectory of the MC, which I found to be just a bit flat and cold. I would have liked to have seen the MC turn it up a bit as he becomes more unstable and more desperate to achieve his ultimate goal. But, like I said, minor. Stunningly shot, very well written,, beautifully constructed, amazing score, and I even liked Leo in it, and I don't like him in anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
        No matter how I look at it, I never found that exposition clunky. I found it necessary. Yes, there was a lot of it...but holy motherf*cking sh*t how it paid off. And to me, it was fascinating learning the rules of this world. I don't know about you, but I could have watched far more exposition than that. I just wanted to immerse myself in the physics of extraction. It was one of the most brilliantly interesting things in the world to me.

As a writer, I appreciate the HELL out of what Nolan must have gone through to figure out that world, because it is flawless. Notice how not one person here has made any argument regarding plotholes. That's because the plot, the logic, is air tight. Nolan f*cking thought of everything and then some, and hot diggity f*cking damn, words can't even describe how much respect I have for him on that front. Just consider the amount of hours it must have taken to outline this thing? To brainstorm? That concept, the thing as a whole, is a writer's wet dream, and I think he executed it brilliantly.

I'd gladly sit through four more hours of the movie if it meant we could explore the world even more. The only reason I'm even remotely disappointed is because I know I'll probably never get to.
        Yeah, just want to give this one an amen, because the fact is, almost no one out there could execute this idea in terms of story in the way that Nolan did. Seriously, almost no one.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
          Took me only 148 minutes to figure out where he went wrong.
          True, it takes a painter years to get to the point where they can execute something like "Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jatte", but it only takes a member of the public a little while to tell him what he DIDN'T do.

Comment

2 days after seeing this film, I'm still thinking about it.

I haven't made up my mind on how it ranks, but it was a very enjoyable viewing and any movie that makes me think as much as this film has is a success in some regard.

I think its fairly obvious what is happening to this film in terms of critical reaction. Much like Dark Knight, it came out with overwhelmingly positive reviews. And much like Dark Knight, a faction of critics who scoff at these kind of movies, had to come down on it - and come down on it hard.

Both extremes are kind of silly. These Nolan movies aren't the greatest thing ever made. Of course. But they're just about the best mainstream cinema has to offer right now, so the backlash on the other end of the spectrum is pretty damn insufferable.

Unless you are making a Pixar film, you can't make a movie that becomes embedded into pup culture these days. It's impossible. By definition, some jackass critic out there is going to prevent a movie that is popular from also being seen as a classic. That's why there are no classic movies anymore. And if Citizen Kane or the Godfather had come out when the internet was around, they wouldn't be classics either.

(And before anyone gets mad, by no means am I trying to compare these movie to the classics.)

Even in this own thread, the movie is being overanalyzed tremendously - and not even in the right way. The film may have convolutions, it may have too much exposition - but it was executed successfully enough where the bulk of the discussion on it should be about the world/story/characters created in it, and not the construction of the film, IMO. That, in and of itself, is rare these days, and makes it a victory.

Basically, what I'm getting at, is any movie that can at least delay the obligatory discussions on problems with scripting, plot holes, or convolutions, by making you think about the film itself, the story, the dream world, the themes, etc. - succeeded, on some level.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
              Yes, this guy has summarised my thoughts on the matter:P

One thing that gets me though is, why the obsession with returning to the top level. In this sort of a film, and indeed in our very reality, isn't it really the case that there is no top level?
              What I took away at the end is that he became unstable enough because of his guilt around his wife and his terrible desire to see his kids again that he would do whatever it took, and ultimately that meant choosing to go to the deepest level, from which he could never return, where he could always be with the people he loved. That was what was so beautiful about the movie.

That and the payoff with the pinwheel in the safe, that was ****ing golden.

Comment

@RyanJ: Eminem and Drake. There's your problem.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

SPOILERS

Questions for those who have proposed or have ideas about some theories......

If Cobb and his wife were both still dreaming at a deep level, where did she go after her 'suicide'?

If she did not really die, why did Nolan not write the story with a 'happier' ending in which Cobb ascertains his true condition and reunites with his wife (in dreamland or waking life)?

At the end, why did he not watch the token to see what it would do? (Yeah, messes up the ending, but isn't that the whole reason for using the token?)

Inquiring minds wanna know.

I hold to my view that the movie was interesting and clever, effective at stimulating discussion akin to meticulous puzzle analysis as in this forum, but lacking in strong emotional resonance. I really didn't care very much what would happen to any of the characters--except Mal, and she was really only a plot device, not an equal flesh and blood character in the story. If I care more about a secondary character than the protag, the movie is not succeeding the way it should (with me at least).

Comment

Originally posted by Donreel View Post
                    SPOILERS

Questions for those who have proposed or have ideas about some theories......

If Cobb and his wife were both still dreaming at a deep level, where did she go after her 'suicide'?

If she did not really die, why did Nolan not write the story with a 'happier' ending in which Cobb ascertains his true condition and reunites with his wife (in dreamland or waking life)?

At the end, why did he not watch the token to see what it would do? (Yeah, messes up the ending, but isn't that the whole reason for using the token?)

Inquiring minds wanna know.

I hold to my view that the movie was interesting and clever, effective at stimulating discussion akin to meticulous puzzle analysis as in this forum, but lacking in strong emotional resonance. I really didn't care very much what would happen to any of the characters--except Mal, and she was really only a plot device, not an equal flesh and blood character in the story. If I care more about a secondary character than the protag, the movie is not succeeding the way it should (with me at least).
                    I think he was stuck in the dream and he didn't care. The kids didn't grow up one bit, they were the same as in his memories/dreams. I just can't remember if they were wearing the same outfits. How long had it been since DiCaprio pulled the Polanski? If it had been just a couple of months, then the kids not growing up make sense, but...
                    Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaHans View Post
                      What's the most recent rap album you've purchased?
                      For me, it's the Judgment Night soundtrack.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                        For me, it's the Judgment Night soundtrack.
                        Love the De La Soul (w/ Teenage Fanclub) joint on there.

One of those soundtracks that got more attention that the flick itself... rightfully so. Though I don't entirely dislike the movie either, just been a long time since I peeped it.

Comment

It's interesting that one of the key criticisms directed at Inception, that it's emotionally cold and too cerebral, is also one of the criticisms people have about 2001.

I think that's a valid criticism -- though Inception is practically Spielbergian compared to 2001.

But that doesn't matter to me. Most (all?) classic films have their share of quirks/flaws/Save the Cat rules violations.

The deus ex machina that delivered the falcon to Sam Spade.
                          The emotional distance of 2001.
                          The brutally unsympathetic main character of Clockwork Orange.
                          The ending that potentially invalidates everything you saw previously in Usual Suspects.
                          The fact that a key premise of The Matrix hinges on ignoring the laws of thermodynamics.
                          Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by sppeterson View Post
                            But that doesn't matter to me. Most (all?) classic films have their share of quirks/flaws/Save the Cat rules violations.

The deus ex machina that delivered the falcon to Sam Spade.
                            The emotional distance of 2001.
                            The brutally unsympathetic main character of Clockwork Orange.
                            The ending that potentially invalidates everything you saw previously in Usual Suspects.
                            The fact that a key premise of The Matrix hinges on ignoring the laws of thermodynamics.
                            There's a very big difference between having an anti-hero in an art-house flick, and being able to write a 7,000 word essay on the innumerable logic flaws in a mainstream Hollywood feature - the type of film that relies on everything making sense so the target audience, the lowest common denominator, can understand.

Don't make excuses. You are not as stupid as Hollywood thinks you are.

2001 is an entirely different beast. Nobody watches a film like that for plot, because it was not made with that intention. It's an art film, not a mainstream Hollywood feature, and we enjoy those types of films for different reasons. Saying that one is flawed because it's not like the other is pretty stupid.

Inception is *not* an art film. It's mainstream, and therefore open to mainstream criticisms.

And I don't know about everyone else, but I don't go into a movie hoping it's littered with problems. So when I notice obvious problems, it upsets me.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                              I think he was stuck in the dream and he didn't care. The kids didn't grow up one bit, they were the same as in his memories/dreams. I just can't remember if they were wearing the same outfits. How long had it been since DiCaprio pulled the Polanski? If it had been just a couple of months, then the kids not growing up make sense, but...
                              IMO, either the mission failed or he chose the dream, or some combination thereof. The kids were in the same clothing in the last shot. It was what he wanted more than anything.

Comment

I'm beginning to suspect that the "ambiguities" are really just holes in the Swiss cheese. Tsk tsk...
                                Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Working...
                                X