No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Shelter

Anybody seen it?

Watched it last night and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Liked the ending but wanted more. Not so sure it capitalized on its concept down the stretch...

Re: Take Shelter

I've not heard of it ATB. What's it about?
    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Sorry, should've posted the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5U4TtYpKIc

Comment

It's on my wanna-see list. I heard good things from the one guy I know who saw it and it is up for a Spirit award. Other than that, IDK.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
          Watched it last night and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Liked the ending but wanted more. Not so sure it capitalized on its concept down the stretch...
          I'm also ambivalent. It was a truly gripping story, but the ending was... I don't know...

I can't think of a better ending, or even a different ending, but it was mildly dissatisfying.

********** SPOILER ALERT ***********

Among other things, nothing was resolved. The guy obviously has an organic malfunction in his brain -- straight up paranoid schizophrenia, just like his mother -- so the future of this family is nothing but suffering (he will be heavily medicated and/or institutionalized), and that's kind of a downer...

But I'll still recommend it, because the ride up until the end was extremely interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post

Among other things, nothing was resolved. The guy obviously has an organic malfunction in his brain -- straight up paranoid schizophrenia, just like his mother -- so the future of this family is nothing but suffering (he will be heavily medicated and/or institutionalized), and that's kind of a downer...
            SPOILERS CONTINUED:

I don't know if we can say he was actually schizo or crazy. I mean... his visions came to fruition, so were they paranoid hallucinations or visions of the future?

What disappointed me about the ending was that the entire film lead up to the final moment, the final question: Is he crazy or is he right?

As an audience member, I want him to be right. I wanna see what these visions were really warning him about. I don't want him to just end up wrong and realize he's crazy. That's not very cinematic.

So when the storm finally comes at the beach, I'm expecting some final fulfilling sequence.

But we don't get it.

It's a shot of the storm and a shot of his wife realizing he's not crazy after all.

But here's the big question: If they're at a beach, then all his work on that tornado shelter was for nothing, right? I mean, they can't really drive for hours back home before the storm hits or whatever.

It just didn't fit with the rest of the film.

I was expecting people to come begging the protag to let them inside his shelter because they realized he was right all along.

I dunno. The ending was just so disappointing. I wanted more. I wanted to see the storm looming in the distance and watch it close-in. See it wreak havoc and see what all of the protag's work was really for... and then see them rise from the ashes all because of him... because he wasn't afraid to believe in himself.

But we didn't get that. We just got credits...

I felt like I took a gut-wrenching, nerve-racking ride up a clanking rollercoaster. You're looking over the edge and you can tell you're gonna have a helluva ride to the bottom so you're willing to wait.

And then you get to the top and...

Nothing. No exhilarating freefall to the end. Just... blah.

SPOILERS OVER

Comment

But I'll still recommend it, because the ride up until the end was extremely interesting.

****************Spoiler*******************

I think the end was meant to show wasnt schitzo, but was receiving messages from a higher power.

The misdirection was that he thought he had to be schitzo becase of his mom.

When he goes to see the counselor he said he took the signs of schitzo test in the book and scored a 5, while scores of 20 plus denote schitzo.

then if you look at his dreams, the terrible storm did come at the end, he did end up fighting his buddy, his wife did fight him/block his path about what he was doing.

Im not sure what dog breaking his arm signified, but building the pen got him into building the shelter which cost him his job which threatened to tear up his family life.

so while not straight up glimpses into the future, they were signs of what was to come.

also at the very end, it looked like the rain drop that hits next to his wife was red i.e blood and the nod she gives means, i see it now, you werent/arent crazy.

which would me some sort of Armageddon was rolling in.

thats what i thought could be happening anyway as opposed to is he/isnt he.

p.s. sure shannon went into his creep mode, but it was great to see him as a reg guy for most of it. laughable that brad pitt got a nod for playing brad pitt over this perf.

Comment

Looks interesting.

I'll watch it for Jessica Chastain.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Mark View Post
                  also at the very end, it looked like the rain drop that hits next to his wife was red i.e blood and the nod she gives means, i see it now, you werent/arent crazy.
                  I think at some point the protag says the rain feels like motor oil. And it looks somewhat yellow-brownish so that would fit.

And at the end, the raindrop looks just like it did in the protag's visions.

I dunno if it's actually supposed to be motor oil or what, but I don't think it was blood.

Comment

SPOILERS CONTINUED:

I don't know if we can say he was actually schizo or crazy. I mean... his visions came to fruition, so were they paranoid hallucinations or visions of the future?

What disappointed me about the ending was that the entire film lead up to the final moment, the final question: Is he crazy or is he right?
                    Thing is, I'm not sure if the final sequence at the beach was really happening -- it could have just been another of his dreams. At any rate, there was no resolution, and I found it unsatisfying, but I can't say with confidence that I wouldn't have found a definitive resolution equally unsatisfying.

Comment

Striver,

I personally feel like the ending was real and that was the fulfillment of the "promise of the premise" or whatever.

But I do agree that the ending just didn't payoff the setup the way it should've/could've.

I felt like the whole movie was a slow build. It was almost Hitchcockian with the below-the-surface tension. It was a promise to the viewer that it would all be worth it, that it would all payoff.

So there should've been something spectacular waiting for us at the end. Not sure why those involved didn't think the same.

Comment

Striver,

I personally feel like the ending was real and that was the fulfillment of the "promise of the premise" or whatever.

But I do agree that the ending just didn't payoff the setup the way it should've/could've.

I felt like the whole movie was a slow build. It was almost Hitchcockian with the below-the-surface tension. It was a promise to the viewer that it would all be worth it, that it would all payoff.

So there should've been something spectacular waiting for us at the end. Not sure why those involved didn't think the same.
                        spoiler............................

come on guys, this was clearly just an origin movie to set up a tentpole disaster/end of the world summer blockbuster about shannon and his family
                        getting from SC back to safety of the shelter in ohio.

take shelter is to mad max as take shelter take 2 is the road warrior.

Comment

A lot of really good character stuff in there, but the ending undercut all of it.
                          Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

On my "wanna see" list.

Comment

This film was pretty good. Well acted, especially.

****SPOILERS******

The ending being left intentionally ambiguous annoyed me at first, but I suppose it's an appropriate parable (allegory?..... what the hell's the difference?) for our times.

Are we being paranoid about the current horrors of the world or are we justifiably scared?

Or maybe, as might be the case with Michael Shannon's character, it's both.

Comment

Working...
                              X