Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Nolan is a genius. I'm in awe of this man's talent. How can people hate on this man? This movie blew the Avengers out of the water. But I won't even compare it to a superhero movie. Dark Knight Rises was epic. The fact he was able to capture so much depth in a movie that is supposed to be a "superhero movie" is incredible. The themes were great.

Ann Hathaway blew me away. She did steal the movie. She should be nominated for a supporting Oscar. I gotta reflect on my own craft. Because Nolan was teaching a master course. Him and his brother are incredible dynamic duo.

Comment

What depth? Is it when Batman beats Bane by knocking the little tube things off his face, only for them to get plugged back in a few seconds later and he's good to go?

Of the three, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is the one that's most like just a normal comic book movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
        Nolan is a genius. I'm in awe of this man's talent. How can people hate on this man? This movie blew the Avengers out of the water.
        I thought he was coasting here. The action setpieces weren't bad, just uninspired and the narrative wasn't very well-defined. I mean, just exactly what was the villainous plot supposed to achieve? And the five-month waiting period just seemed like a lazy way of giving breathing room to another plot point. And there was no context given to the results of the plot. I don't need a detailed portrait of what exactly the civilians of Gotham were doing in those five months, but some casual brushstrokes would have been nice.

I'm not saying the movie was bad...just not as good as I hoped it'd be, coming off the last two.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

He wanted to plunge Gotham into total chaos so that he could destroy it with a nuclear bomb.

I'm not quite sure how the first half of that is required for the second half, but there you go.

It is, without question, Christopher Nolan's THE GODFATHER PART III in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLilley View Post
            It is, without question, Christopher Nolan's THE GODFATHER PART III in my opinion.
            I was thinking exactly the same thing.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

What depth? Is it when Batman beats Bane by knocking the little tube things off his face, only for them to get plugged back in a few seconds later and he's good to go?

Of the three, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is the one that's most like just a normal comic book movie.
              SPOILERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS BELOW

I liked the social issues he used for the story. I know it was a rift of occupy Wallstreet. But I liked it. I liked the backstory he gave Bane and Talia. I really liked seeing Bruce broken. And how figuratively and literally he had to climb from the depths of hell, to rise up and save Gotham. I also liked the dynamic between Catwoman and Batman.

Emotionally I connected with Bane at the end of the movie, when they explained his Talia's relationship. No, I'm not saying Bane is a good guy. But I liked how Nolan connected the relationship between Bane in Talia in an emotional way.

I also loved his version of DICK GRAYSON. Yes there was some suspension of disbelief, but when you're juggling so many characters and sub-plots and you succeed, I gotta applaud you. He has superseded in my eyes, the genre of a SUPERHERO movie. I hope this movie and Nolan get nominated for an Oscar. The man deserves it.

This a movie I can envision Michael Mann or someone of that ilk making. I loved even what he did with small characters like Gordon's ex-partner when he lead the charge of the police. I feel people hate on Nolan way too much. I think he's brilliant.

Just my two cents. The man has set the bar high for whoever steps in the director chair for the next batman franchise.

Comment

You mean you weren't in awe of the fight scene where two guys just slugged one another the whole time with one guy being in control of the entirety of the altercation?

If that's not depth and brilliance, what is?!

Comment

Saw this yesterday. I think it's the worst of the three, though still enjoyable. I felt like there were way too many stupid plans/setups to take seriously. Not to mention my suspension of disbelief was compromised at times. Without spoilers, I felt at least a few of the characters were unnecessary and just over complicated the plot. Could have done to be a bit more simple to be honest.

I also hated the conversations between Bane and Batman. It sounds like one guy who has a has a speech impediment talking to another who has a sock stuffed into his mouth. And for that matter, can anyone tell me why Batman insists on disguising his voice when he's speaking with people who know his identity? That just seems so unnecessary and stupid.

The action was good, and Anne Hathaway is super hot. I think Michael Caine gave the best performance of the bunch.

Weakest of the three, still a 7.5 out of 10. I'd give Begins an 8 and Dark Knight a 9. I'd give it a ten, but... I mean.. I try not to hand those marks out lightly.
                  Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
                  Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed this, and thought it was a great ending to a pretty amazing trilogy. It had a very epic feel to it, but that larger scope of story was a bit more convoluted than I expected. Even more so after the very lean and refined TDK where every scene really counts.

Tom Hardy as Bane was a spectacular performance. However the very design of his character as a brute, eliminated any chance of him topping Heath Ledger's performance. I still think Hugh Laurie as the Riddler would have given Ledger a run for his money.

Also, Hans Zimmer really brought it to the next level, I would highly recommend the soundtrack.

I'm excited to see what Nolan will do next, and am looking forward to the Man of Steel trilogy. One comment on Deadline stated The Dark Knight looks like Michael Mann, whereas Man of Steel looks more Terrance Malick. While I don't think teasers are enough, this looks somewhat apt if they truly capture the tone of the film.
                    "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
                      Not to mention my suspension of disbelief was compromised at times.
                      Yeah, it pretty much jumped the refrigerator towards the end.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

http://www.eonline.com/news/332129/t...nd-that-wasn-t

No box office numbers today.

Jeff Shurtleff
                        "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Wonder if we'll see an Anne Hathaway Catwoman movie, probably a prequel, as a bridge to the next reboot? Yes, you have to overcome the godawful Halle Berry movie, but the rave reviews Hathaway's getting for The Dark Knight Rises suggests half that battle's already won.
                          Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by mge457 View Post
                            Even more so after the very lean and refined TDK where every scene really counts.
                            That, right there, is Christopher Nolan's weird superpower. I'd say most if not all of the scenes in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES are integral to the plot. It's just that a third of those scenes are integral and still don't make sense, and another third are integral and are just boring.

Think about how crazy that is. You can't deny that it isn't, at the very least, fascinating.

THE DARK KNIGHT is the exact same way. And they both have weird, forty minute first acts that are basically a prologue to the rest of the movie, which does weird things to the pacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff View Post
                              http://www.eonline.com/news/332129/t...nd-that-wasn-t

No box office numbers today.

Jeff Shurtleff
                              NYT is saying 160m, off anonymous studio sources.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
                                Saw this yesterday. I think it's the worst of the three, though still enjoyable. I felt like there were way too many stupid plans/setups to take seriously. Not to mention my suspension of disbelief was compromised at times. Without spoilers, I felt at least a few of the characters were unnecessary and just over complicated the plot. Could have done to be a bit more simple to be honest.

I also hated the conversations between Bane and Batman. It sounds like one guy who has a has a speech impediment talking to another who has a sock stuffed into his mouth. And for that matter, can anyone tell me why Batman insists on disguising his voice when he's speaking with people who know his identity? That just seems so unnecessary and stupid.

The action was good, and Anne Hathaway is super hot. I think Michael Caine gave the best performance of the bunch.

Weakest of the three, still a 7.5 out of 10. I'd give Begins an 8 and Dark Knight a 9. I'd give it a ten, but... I mean.. I try not to hand those marks out lightly.
                                I actually really liked what Hardy did with Bane's voice. I found it creepily ominous and chilling how he would say such imposing things in a matter of fact way.

I enjoyed the film a lot. I'll have to see it again as to where I'd rank it. (Unsure if I put it just ahead or just behind Begins.)

Comment

Working...
                                X