Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-Lovely

About the life of Cole Porter, starring Kevin Kline and Ashly Judd. Kline's performance was solid, Judd's was impeccable (and I'm not just gushing over her because I happen to love looking at her **). She hit many subtle emotional notes throughout and not an ounce of overacting. Believable, relaxed, chemistry between Kline and Judd. Good writing included wonderful economy of language with clever repartees between Kline and Judd that were very natural, not canned.

But this was an insider's movie where much of Porter's life story is staged or performed like the musicals he helped write, the story telling style or the story itself would not appeal to the average moviegoer. IMDB.com says:
    "In the film, Porter is looking back on his life as if it was one of his spectacular stage shows, with the people and events of his life becoming the actors and action onstage.....including his deeply complicated relationship with his wife and muse, Linda Lee Porter."

Some healthy cynical and self-critical interjections from the older-wiser Porter, and humorous helplessness over how his life story will actually be produced, did a nice job of keeping the story from slipping into some patsy-ass idealized biography.

Someone unfamiliar with Porter (like me) but still interested in song, theatre, or performing arts, could enjoy it. Oh, and not for the homophobic; I guess Porter was a switch-hitter.

** ....gosh, couldn't I just, uh, 'fix' the brakes on her husband's racecar and introduce myself at the wake.
    Last edited by Tipjar; 05-15-2005, 10:40 AM.

Re: De-Lovely

I saw Night and Day (Cary Grant's Cole Porter movie) last week. Haven't seen De Lovely but it has to be better than that. even dclary could write a better Cole Porter movie than Night and Day

Comment

Re: De-Lovely

"De-Lovely" actually references how bad "Night and Day" was.
      You're a mighty master of minutia. Your enemies fear you.

Comment

Working...
      X