Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got interest from a director!

I'm looking for some advice here as this is all new to me. I've followed a director (short films/commericials) for a while online. He's repped at one of the biggest management firms. He mentioned he'll want to work on his first feature soon. So I approached him with a script, and he loved it! He's sending it to his manager to see what his reaction is. He and I have corresponded by email for some time now. If we move forward, he'd want to take a scene from the script, and turn it into a short, in order to garner producer/financial interest. My question is, how do I approach the topic of... I guess... Cost? Would he be optioning my script? Buying the rights? How do I bring up this topic of getting paid, rather than being tagged along with hopes he'll make it, and I never see a dime. I hate to seem like I'm all about money though, because I'm not. I just don't want to be tagged along without any kind of gain.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice!

Re: Got interest from a director!

Originally posted by nightcrawler View Post
    I'm looking for some advice here as this is all new to me. I've followed a director (short films/commericials) for a while online. He's repped at one of the biggest management firms. He mentioned he'll want to work on his first feature soon. So I approached him with a script, and he loved it! He's sending it to his manager to see what his reaction is. He and I have corresponded by email for some time now. If we move forward, he'd want to take a scene from the script, and turn it into a short, in order to garner producer/financial interest. My question is, how do I approach the topic of... I guess... Cost? Would he be optioning my script? Buying the rights? How do I bring up this topic of getting paid, rather than being tagged along with hopes he'll make it, and I never see a dime. I hate to seem like I'm all about money though, because I'm not. I just don't want to be tagged along without any kind of gain.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice!
    Since you don't have an agent, you should get a lawyer to make sure everything's nice and legal so you won't get ****ed when signing any contractual agreement.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

So when I get the email that his manager liked it, and wants him to pursue it, I should call a lawyer to talk to his manager? Sounds like the safest thing to do, but because I want to keep my cash flow low right now, I was hoping to wait and see if he and I can talk something out. But you're right... I shall call a lawyer as soon as I get hopeful news.

Comment

Here's another take...

Why let them lock it up?

You have a new director that's attempting to shoot a scene from the script in order to get the film financed - why not wait until he garners interest from a financier before letting them lock it up - you'd probably stand to make more money if you played it that way and you still control the script. I'm guessing they're only gonna offer you an option for a small amount of money (given the fact that the director is new, etc) or they may suggest doing the above as well as a sort of good faith thing.

In these types of situations I'm a big proponent of maintaining control of your script for the time being (until somebody MAKES you cede control by making a solid offer to purchase it).
        "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Hey Joe, thanks for your reply. I thought about playing it that way as well, but am confused as to what is the best approach, which is why I posted this. The director is real cool, and I'm actually a fan of his work. I think he'll do very well in features. He did mention that there are some things he'll want to change, but that we can talk it out later.

I guess the one question to this is... will they for sure offer up an option, or will I have to bring it up? And if I do have to bring it up, how shall I word it without sounding like a prick (by email). I'm assuming they would offer an option though, because he's repped at a very well known management/production co. I'm filled with joy right now, so sorry for all these questions I should know the answer to.

Comment

I guess the one question to this is... will they for sure offer up an option, or will I have to bring it up?
            Time will tell but if I had to money on one or the other I'd say they probably won't offer an option up and will say that they'll package the script and get you paid when the script sells. Again, this would be my preference if I were you because you still hold the rights to the material should something go sideways with the director or his reps. However talented he is, it's going to be difficult to build a viable package around a first time feature director. That's just the cold, hard truth.

And if I do have to bring it up, how shall I word it without sounding like a prick (by email).
            Be direct. Speak your mind. Be respectful. Don't be a ***** and definitely don't worry about sounding like a prick. It's a legit question.

I'm assuming they would offer an option though, because he's repped at a very well known management/production co.
            You know what they say about assuming, right?

I'm filled with joy right now, so sorry for all these questions I should know the answer to.
            It's a long hard road, dude. I've been down a similar road to this a bunch of times and nothing ever panned out (and I'd go down it again) so keep the champagne on ice until the script sells. Good luck.
            "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Thanks! Your comments have been really helpful. Yes, I'm joyful, but I know the reality. It's not that easy. I really do hope this pans out though. Again, thanks for your advice.

Comment

whatever you do, make sure the rights stay with you unless you're being paid off with something you're happy with. new director + new writer -- seems like someone will try to bump one of those players off the chessboard if this turns out to get heat and a studio decides to produce it and put some real name talent in front of the camera. who knows. be safe.
                One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Will do, Juno. Thanks!

Comment

So let's say if I were to develop the script further with the director in order to package it, and the whole thing falls through... Depending on how much notes/ideas he has come through in the new draft, would I be able to take that script we worked on elsewhere, without him attached as story by, or anything like that?

I've always had this question in my mind, as I see in the trades all the time how the director leaves a project. I always wondered how much input the writer/producers keep that came from the director, you know?

Hope someone can explain this to me. This is all without an option agreement.

Comment

Working...
                    X