How Many Scenes Does a Screenplay Usually Have?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Many Scenes Does a Screenplay Usually Have?

A scene is a dramatic unit. So that couple that argues in 3 different location? One scene. The scene where they argue. It's not about location, it's about story.

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
      A scene is a dramatic unit. So that couple that argues in 3 different location? One scene. The scene where they argue. It's not about location, it's about story.

- Bill
      I'll always have difficulty with this.

... because each individual "location" can stand on its own as a dramatic unit without the other two.
      "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
      - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
        I'll always have difficulty with this.

... because each individual "location" can stand on its own as a dramatic unit without the other two.
        In that case - you need 270 sluglines.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by J Linc View Post
          Just curious: has anyone ever figured out the average/median number of scenes a typical script has?

I'm having some trouble trying to figure out just how many scenes I'm going to include in something and I was wondering if anyone has found a general ballpark-average that is decent to shoot for.

I know every script and every writer is different, but I still (perhaps stupidly) wanted to ask, regardless... ?
          Do this:

Take three movies similar to your idea.

Outline them.

Count the scenes.

You want a ballpark figure, that will give you one. You'll also learn a lot of other things, too, while you're at it. I recommend doing the three films relatively close to each other, and watch them twice - once all the way through without stopping, and another with your finger on the pause button, stopping to make notes constantly about what's going on.

Comment

Five movies, damn it, five!
            If you really like it you can have the rights
            It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Exactly 94 scenes. The Tootsie-Roll owl told me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                Do this:

Take three movies similar to your idea.

Outline them.

Count the scenes.

You want a ballpark figure, that will give you one. You'll also learn a lot of other things, too, while you're at it. I recommend doing the three films relatively close to each other, and watch them twice - once all the way through without stopping, and another with your finger on the pause button, stopping to make notes constantly about what's going on.
                +1

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
                  I wish someone would define "scene" for me. (not the production number type)

If a couple argues about sex in the bedroom, then walks through the dining room while arguing about money, and finally winds up in the kitchen and argues about who is supposed to do the cooking ... is that three scenes or one "arguing" scene?
                  Here are two great threads where dozens of people attempt to explain for you what a scene is, complete with examples!

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=49260

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=49754

Comment

More:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=25871

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=13069

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=49492

And one from 2005!

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...read.php?t=988

Comment

Was it George Lucas that said the ideal movie is 60 two minute scenes?
                      "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

What is a scene?
                        "Every scene in a script begins with a scene heading, which lets the reader of the script know where and when the scene takes place." - Final Draft 8, User Guide
                        That quote is NOT offered as any sort of authoritative answer. Rather, just as a reference point. As a matter of linguistics, it seems absurd that not even the word "scene" has a commonly accepted meaning amongst screenwriters.

So a scene heading does not a scene make. Fine. But after that, it seems that a "scene" is not a thing, it is perhaps merely a concept.

At one time, atoms were thought to be the smallest unit of matter. Whoops, seems that was wrong. There are sub-atomic particles and when the first ones were discovered, scientists who cared about such things agreed that these particles should be referenced as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

If screenwriters had been in charge of the nomenclature, I can picture a Council of Screenwriters convening to decide what these three sub-atomic particles should be called and the conclusion would be: "They shall be called 'atoms'." Then thereafter, whenever someone would mention this or that about "an atom", a discussion would ensue as to what "an atom" really is.
                        "Pardon, but do you mean the positively charged 'atom' at the nucleus of the atom, the electrically neutral 'atom' at the nucleus of the atom, or the negatively charged 'atom' that floats about the nucleus of the atom?"
                        Then someone would opine that they were really talking about "molecules" and a flame war would ensue.

Maybe this would sort out easier if a scene-heading scene had its own name. How about "quark"?

Comment

Y'know the only place where conversations like this take place? The only location in the known universe where anyone actually questions the nomenclature of 'scene?'

Here.

Literally, right here, this message board.

Nowhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
                            Y'know the only place where conversations like this take place? The only location in the known universe where anyone actually questions the nomenclature of 'scene?'

Here.

Literally, right here, this message board.

Nowhere else.
                            You need to join more message boards.

Comment

the problem is the screenwriting books. i had a hell of time wrapping my brain around the concept of scene because of the books so maybe my comment will help somebody else...

most of the books say that a change of location means a new scene. what they should say is a change of location means a new slugline. a scene is only done when the scene-goal is accomplished. it's true every scene begins with a heading but not every heading begins a new scene.

as always, i defer to the pros for corrections.
                              life happens
                              despite a few cracked pots-
                              and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                                You need to join more message boards.
                                Nope, I don't think I do.

Comment

Working...
                                X