Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
CrissCross
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 323
Default What Would You Do?

Sent a treatment to a major cable network exec. He liked it and asked for pilot script. Writing partner and I went back and forth with story line and agreed on one. I wrote first 5 pages to get us going. He didn't think it was up to snuff. He has a lot more experience than me so I was ok with that. Been waiting and e mailing him for his version... it's been a month. Says he's been busy with other projects. I want to get this thing in before the exec forgets about it. Oh... and we have a written agreement so it's kinda hard to skate. What would you do ?

Last edited by CrissCross : 03-11-2012 at 07:17 PM.
CrissCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
BattleDolphinZero
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,062
Default Re: What Would You Do ?

You know the answer.

RIDE!!
BattleDolphinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Grandmaster
Member
 
Grandmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,860
Default Re: What Would You Do ?

Hang on, you queried BEFORE you'd completed anything?
__________________
Cufk, Tish, Sips.
Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
CrissCross
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 323
Default Re: What Would You Do ?

Was pitching something else at the time
CrissCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Kandiman
User
 
Kandiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 113
Default Re: What Would You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
Hang on, you queried BEFORE you'd completed anything?
Not as uncommon as it sounds. I sold the two pilots I'm working on by reading a Wikipedia page and pitching the first two things that came into my head. I got asked (by e-mail) if I had ideas, I didn't. I read the page, I did. I pitched them, they sold.

Now I'm writing the scripts.

Weird stuff like that happens all the time in this business.

Anyway OP, my advice? Write the script yourself. If your partner isn't communicating with you and you have a contract to produce something, then you need to produce it. It's your ass on the line as well. WGA will arbitrate the credits later on and if you need someone to bounce things off on the way - the outline, pages, whatever - I'm happy to help out. I'm sure I'm not the only one, either.
__________________
Trainee Writer Blog
Kandiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
JeffLowell
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,023
Default Re: What Would You Do ?

It doesn't sound like there's a contract with the network, it sounds like the partners have a contract with each other.

OP, do you really want to get into a long term writing relationship with this guy? He said he doesn't like your pages and he refuses to do any work on the project. What's the best case scenario here?
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
gridlock'd
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 650
Default Re: What Would You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandiman View Post
Not as uncommon as it sounds. I sold the two pilots I'm working on by reading a Wikipedia page and pitching the first two things that came into my head. I got asked (by e-mail) if I had ideas, I didn't. I read the page, I did. I pitched them, they sold.

Now I'm writing the scripts.

Weird stuff like that happens all the time in this business.

Anyway OP, my advice? Write the script yourself. If your partner isn't communicating with you and you have a contract to produce something, then you need to produce it. It's your ass on the line as well. WGA will arbitrate the credits later on and if you need someone to bounce things off on the way - the outline, pages, whatever - I'm happy to help out. I'm sure I'm not the only one, either.
I'm sorry, could you explain the wikipedia thing? Sounds like you didn't even have an idea ...and you sold it.

Also; interesting blog. In what way do you have "loose permission" to write the Grand Theft Auto movie? Have you met the creators?
(I know they're from London, right?)

Just curious.
__________________
"I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
- C. Montgomery Burns
gridlock'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Kandiman
User
 
Kandiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 113
Default Re: What Would You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridlock'd View Post
I'm sorry, could you explain the wikipedia thing? Sounds like you didn't even have an idea ...and you sold it.

Also; interesting blog. In what way do you have "loose permission" to write the Grand Theft Auto movie? Have you met the creators?
(I know they're from London, right?)

Just curious.
The prodco/network (it's an online thing) are based in the Philippines but aiming at a US market and wanted things they could shoot locally. So I hit Wikipedia to learn about Filipino culture (because I knew nothing about it other than it's an island paradise in Asia) and it inspired a couple of ideas that could work.

As for GTA... weird story; I e-mailed Rockstar (who are based all over the place - head office is in Leeds, I believe) to ask if there was any interest in making a movie or if they might grant permission for me to write one for consideration. The answer I got was that they've had several similar requests and the scripts that come in are usually either terrible or don't fit the source material. But they said (I'm paraphrasing) 'write the script. If we like it, we'll back it. If we don't we're always looking for writers for the games.'

So it's a lovely grey area, really. I have the company's permission to explore it (in writing, I have the e-mail printed in a file and saved to a memory stick, just in case) but no firm commitment for anything more. As I understand it, I can pitch a finished product, but only to them - or to them in the first instance.

And having a door on the latch at the biggest video game studio in the world doesn't keep me awake at night. I just can't get the damn script working yet!

Glad you liked the blog, though.
__________________
Trainee Writer Blog
Kandiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
Grandmaster
Member
 
Grandmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,860
Default Re: What Would You Do ?

WTF? People pitch what's just an idea?
I suppose that's the difference between getting in the door and firing e-mails from 2,000 miles away.

Um, obviously then, I don't possess the experience to give any real advice, however, if I was in the position where it meant knuckling down or waiting around with my thumb up my arse, I'd do the writing!

And at risk or ruining a great partnership, as pointed out above, your "partner" sounds like a hinderance and should get the V salute.
__________________
Cufk, Tish, Sips.
Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
Kandiman
User
 
Kandiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 113
Default Re: What Would You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
WTF? People pitch what's just an idea?
I suppose that's the difference between getting in the door and firing e-mails from 2,000 miles away.

Um, obviously then, I don't possess the experience to give any real advice, however, if I was in the position where it meant knuckling down or waiting around with my thumb up my arse, I'd do the writing!

And at risk or ruining a great partnership, as pointed out above, your "partner" sounds like a hinderance and should get the V salute.
People pitch all sorts of things. More than a few successful shows came from ideas that people pulled out of their arses when they panicked in a room. I've a vague recollection that Moonlighting may have been one of them.

But yes, the golden rule to being a writer is Always Be Writing. And the partner needs to go.
__________________
Trainee Writer Blog
Kandiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker