Anyone switch from large management co to small?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone switch from large management co to small?

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    I'm just asking "hypothetical" how any rep gets in the position for people to come to them unless they first work hard and find clients that hit it big and draw people to them.

Like writers, don't most reps struggle to make it and some just don't? We make it sound so easy on their side.

I'm saying, can I switch sides and have a better life today?

They get fired all the time for not bringing in enough business. The turnover is almost higher than for NFL coaches. A consultant even joked about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
      Or you can be Mickey Fischer and skip all those steps, go straight to mogul.
      Ha! I like the guy. Don't know him personally, but like him.
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I heard on a books on tape audible book where Joe Estzterhas said he used to bring a knife into a meeting. He'd rest it on the table and never make mention of it. He also had that famous battle with Mike Ovitz, back when Ovitz was the most powerful agent in Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
          Ha! I like the guy. Don't know him personally, but like him.

Yeah, he seems like the nicest guy.

Comment

Agreed. Yeah, we might not always get what we want. But, collecting knowledge can't be a bad thing. If you're starting to get good grades and a high SAT, it's not unreasonable to start looking into prestigious colleges. Even if you never get into Harvard, it's always better to plan ahead.

I heard a manager say in an interview that agencies publish a list of opportunities for TV and features. The list for TV was like a phone book and the list for features were like a couple of sheets. TV looks intriguing, but it also looks like a tricky club to break into.
            TV is super tricky. Who do you know? That's super important in TV.

Which is why when all my meetings were canceled I was fukkin pissed. That could have been my shot to staff. I was moving forward with several shows (3-4? in one season, I forget). My sh!t didn't go out for staffing this year.

Comment

I heard on a books on tape audible book where Joe Estzterhas said he used to bring a knife into a meeting. He'd rest it on the table and never make mention of it. He also had that famous battle with Mike Ovitz, back when Ovitz was the most powerful agent in Hollywood.
              Ha! Haven't heard that one. What's the Ovitz story? But, yup, I remember when Ovitz was God. Then the "Young Turks" took over, now they're Gods.

Comment

They get fired all the time for not bringing in enough business. The turnover is almost higher than for NFL coaches. A consultant even joked about that.
                I remember in the early days MOST assistants NOT making agent. Your friends are like "Dude... Idk if I'm gonna make the cut." Everyone's waiting to see.

Best way to make the cut? Anticipate what the agents NEED (so they're like "Yup, they'd make a good agent.") while building your own client list. Don't expect to sleep much.

I'm so old I remember when assistants used to pick up dry cleaning for their agent bosses. Does that still happen? No idea.

BTW - far as stats. I think 1 (ONE!) of my ex's assistants made agent. And now they're a pretty big one. Bet I can't call this agent. Ha! Fukk this town!

Comment

Ha! Haven't heard that one. What's the Ovitz story? But, yup, I remember when Ovitz was God. Then the "Young Turks" took over, now they're Gods.

Ovitz threatened to use his "footsoldiers" to ruin Estzterhas if he thought about leaving CAA. Then, Eszterhas released the threat to the public and embarrassed Ovitz.

I wish I was around for the Spec 90s.

Comment

I remember in the early days MOST assistants NOT making agent. Your friends are like "Dude... Idk if I'm gonna make the cut." Everyone's waiting to see.

Best way to make the cut? Anticipate what the agents NEED (so they're like "Yup, they'd make a good agent.") while building your own client list. Don't expect to sleep much.

I'm so old I remember when assistants used to pick up dry cleaning for their agent bosses. Does that still happen? No idea.

BTW - far as stats. I think 1 (ONE!) of my ex's assistants made agent. And now they're a pretty big one. Bet I can't call this agent. Ha! Fukk this town!

A lot of the creative executives don't actually make a lot of money. Especially at the smaller and even medium production companies. Neither do the junior reps. The CAA mailroom people are like Harvard MBAs and lawyers and if you look at their pay, it barely covers the expense of gas - I don't know how they scrape by.

Comment

Ovitz threatened to use his "footsoldiers" to ruin Estzterhas if he thought about leaving CAA. Then, Eszterhas released the threat to the public and embarrassed Ovitz.

I wish I was around for the Spec 90s.
                      Ha! Total Eszterhas move. Hadn't heard that one.

Yup, I was late too. I was reading all those scripts back then. Never thought of writing my own til way later. The 90s were def the best time to break in IMO.

Back then you could sell an "OKAY" script for a million bucks...

Oh and, it's true that agents used to do blow on their desks back in the 90s. I was young, but I was around for that sh!t before it all went corporate. Good old days...

Comment

Ha! Total Eszterhas move. Hadn't heard that one.

Yup, I was late too. I was reading all those scripts back then. Never thought of writing my own til way later. The 90s were def the best time to break in IMO.

Back then you could sell an "OKAY" script for a million bucks...

Oh and, it's true that agents used to do blow on their desks back in the 90s. I was young, but I was around for that sh!t before it all went corporate. Good old days...

Eszterhas also had that saga with Mel Gibson. At the very least, Eszterhas is an interesting character. He can't seem to get arrested these days though, but back then he was selling napkins for four million dollars.

The Disney Marvel IP model doesn't really favor writers like me. The Spec 90s where they valued originals from even unknowns and people able to come up with ideas were more favorable. There also seemed to be more money thrown around for development, not these one step deals...or no step deals.

Comment

A lot of the creative executives don't actually make a lot of money. Especially at the smaller and even medium production companies. Neither do the junior reps. The CAA mailroom people are like Harvard MBAs and lawyers and if you look at their pay, it barely covers the expense of gas - I don't know how they scrape by.
                          Yup... I was there. When everyone was in the mailroom everyone was fukkin broke as hell. I knew big agents when they were in the mailroom as little kids making almost nothing and skating by. Fast-forward 15 years and they're making 300k -to- 1 mil a year. But, most of them didn't make it. It's brutal trying to make agent. Especially at CAA. You have to "fit in" or you're gone. Making agent is done by committee at CAA. They all have to agree that you have the upscale CAA vibe or you're OUT!

Comment

Yeah, I don't anticipate it happening to you. Writers are generally nice and diplomatic.

My situation was a personal interaction. But, I was willing to go at the dude because I knew he couldn't blacklist me, he just would never work with me. So what! LOL

Generally, rule of thumb is just be cool and this sh!t won't happen to you, usually. But maybe...???
                            Right on. I assume people like that dude will make a lot of enemies anyway. I imagine it'll catch up at some point (unless they're consistently making everyone money. I know that happens too).

Comment

Always keep that in mind, that 99% of people that work in Hollywood are getting screwed and working for less than they deserve -- just like us!

Even the managers we are trying to get our spec to know, the successful ones, some of them may be just as poor as you because they can't get their clients stuff sold...

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                                My friend who is higher up in the biz, told me to call the guy back (he hung up on me too) and apologize. After that we still talked fine the next day like nothing happened. I made the mistake of being "mean" to a junior manager and asking more about his boss and not buttering him up. He's out of the business now, but my friend is like "small town" you don't want this guy bad mouthing you... he could end up anywhere... so he was right. I made a mistake, but yelling like a manic is wrong. But it's part of all life and business right.

Ddoc -- that's my screenwriting life. I have even more depressing stories. And I already told you about the cancer.

So if there is a God, he hates me. Or she does. Or this test just sucks.
                                Hopefully it's a test and you've gone through the worst parts. The payoff could be around the corner. I'm 28 and don't know what lies in my future but I think it's inevitable that there will be some major tragedies (or maybe I'm at the tail end and I don't know it).

This makes me think of that list Gucci made though. I think level 5 was someone who sold a hit movie. I know how ugly the odds are for all of us (for all I know I'm decades or more away) but the nice thing about that is it only takes ONE script to jump to that level.

Comment

Working...
                                X