No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: screenplay agency

Motherof8
    I'm not a member of IMDB, what do they say?
    I can't pull it up. It tells me to sign up.
    Thanks
    ACTOR

Comment

Actor,

It's free to sign up. All you have to do is give them a password and email address -- they'll send you a confirmation first.

It's quite extensive -- Let me know if you can't get in, I'll try to post some information then.

Comment

from the imdb shot talk board.

This is a direct reprint from Victoria Strauss, who runs the Writer Beware page www.writerbeware.org which alerts writers of all kinds to scams, cons, and other schemes which separate writer from money.
        The Screenplay Agency is one of several new "agencies" under the umbrella of The Literary Agency Group Inc. The Literary Agency Group Inc. appears to be a spinoff of the infamous Stylus Literary Agency (until recently known as the ST Literary Agency), owned and operated by Robert Fletcher. Writer Beware has received scores of complaints about Stylus Literary/ST Literary, which has charged fees, promoted its own paid editing services, and submitted in a haphazard fashion to inappropriate publishers (when it submitted at all). It used a boiler room-style operation, with clients receiving substantially identical e-mails and responses.

Right now, the Literary Agency Group Inc. umbrella appears to embrace the following:

* Stylus Literary Agency (formerly ST Literary Agency)
        * The Children's Literary Agency
        * The Christian Literary Agency
        * The New York Literary Agency
        * Poets Literary Agency
        * The Screenplay Agency

More, no doubt, to come.

Writer Beware has documented that these agencies all operate in much the same way, using the same boiler-room-style approach as the original Stylus, with nearly identical intake materials and contracts. Right now, the main focus of the operation appears to be persuading writers to buy paid critique services (at a cost of between $50 and around $90) and editing services (anywhere from $99 to over $2,000) from a service that's described as a "sister" company but in fact appears to be under common ownership with the agencies (this is a conflict of interest: if an agency can make money by recommending critiques or editing, how can the writer trust that the recommendation is in his/her best interest?). There may also be other paid adjunct services, and it's possible that there are vanity publishers somewhere in the mix.

Neither Stylus Literary Agency/ST Literary Agency nor any of its spinoffs have any commercial book or script sales, as far as we're aware--despite their claims to the contrary.
        ST was the rename for Sydra, I believe. Sydra has some background.

some more
        __________________________________________________ ______
        It uses a boiler room-style operation, with clients receiving substantially identical e-mails and responses.
        __________________________________________________ _______

(this means people who are responding to your queries are not necessarily people that know screenplays and they can pack up and move on easily to another rental building.)

There is more in their thread that you should read. Somebody personally visited the address and determined no one was there representing this company. Try to get signed up.

Mo8

Comment

motherof8
          thank you so much for all the info. And taking your time to help me and others that was almost a victom to their "huge" sceme.
          thanks
          ACTOR

Comment

Actor, I'm a mom... It's hard to post items in questions such as this especially when they falsely give so many people such hope.

Press on everyone.

Kind Regards,
            Mo8

Comment

it sure doesn't hurt to have two moms looking out for us. LOL.
              thanks motherof8
              actor

Comment

They say they have optioned 5 scripts, when I ask them for the details of the options there reply was "No, that is private information" What a joke.

Thanks to the members of this site, I was spared as a victim to this scam.

Thanks to all who contributed,
                gmw

Comment

Working...
                X