Questions to ponder about why you're doing this...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After some digestion

I was thinking back to a conversation I had with some other writers about breaking into the biz. The analogy we ended up using was baseball:

Generally, a player is a specific kind of hitter. He may be a fast guy who leads off the order with a lot of singles and bunts. He may be the heavy hitter in the middle, swining for Hr's and driving in runs. He may be at the end of the order - a gritty hitter who can foul off a lot of balls and tire out the pitcher.

And a hitter can change how he hits - a shortstop who is known for singles might bulk up and start hitting homers -- but generally you don't go from a speedy leadoff hitter to barry Bonds.

You do one thing well and that's what gets you your spot in the batting order in the first place. Consistency. You can change up later, but you need to establish yourself first.

Which is a long-winded way of saying I think I agree with what Tao is saying more than originally thought. I don't like being forced into a box - but the thing is, once I thought about it, it's better to put your best foot forward, no? Especially if you are naturally drawn to a particular genre. The question becomes then -- what if you aren't? What would your advice be Tao to someone who didn't seem to be drawn to one genre or area? I don't feel that way -- I know where my 'wheelhouse' is -- but I am curious as to what you all think.....

Comment

• Re: After some digestion

Tao,

I believe your post on page 5 was an excellent post and this is an excellent thread and inspiring. Very cool!

LD

But like IUjin mentioned - 60-80 pages to go :eek ...

Comment

• Wow.

TonyRob, I think your original post on this thread asked why a new writer would ask "important" questions to stangers on a messageboard. My answer: Because sometimes you get back posts like that one from Tao.

You see how I got your back, bottomlesscup? You see?
        Indeed, sir. Indeed.

Comment

• Re: ready to give up

Tao, you're talking to me. Thanks.

Comment

Tao - -

Well, now that you've defined your terms, re 'Write from your heart,' I agree with you. Thanks for the post, enlightening as usual.

Comment

Tao

If you ever are struggling to write a commencement speech you are invited to give, you might refer back to this very well spoken bit of truth about the truly passionate artist.

It made me think of a piece I saw about Steven Soderbergh on one of the "Directors" shorts....his passion for getting to the next day, the next project, the next vision, getting things the way they needed to be, was really a reminder of what makes an artist who he or she is...

Peace

Comment

Reading Tao´s applauded post actually created a mental scene of a huge messiah, benevolently lecturing, and dishing out the keys.. to the knuckleheads that all of a sudden scamper around like ants after sugar. Regretfully, most will forget, not understand, or subconsiously deny the value of given advice.

Comment

i think tao should thankyou for your post joh, cause that was beautiful.

vig

Comment

I'd like to thank Vig for suggesting Tao thank Johnah.

Comment

good grief siddown you're embarrassing me...

i have had multiple generous mentors in my writing life and I have not been able to follow their excellent advice to the letter by any stretch...

it's satisfying to give payback to them by giving information that some on this board will then pass on to others down the line.

and i'm afraid boog has the messiah thing all scoped out for himself.

Comment

Tao...

Excellent post. Like Writer I've dabbled in several genres and in doing so found what I liked best to write. Action thrillers. I didn't even realize that what I liked best to WATCH was genre specific until I wrote my way through six of the eight scripts I've drafted. Finding this out focused the beam of concentration in a whole new way so that I now drown myself in psychology books, scripts, movies, anything I can find that even remotely may help capture the genre in a new way. Or in an old way with a new twist...

Reading your post hit close to home and reinforced the idea that writing what you enjoy, and what you know (or can immerse yourself in and learn), is the most important aspect of success. Knowledge may be key in a lot of ways but the passion a person has for writing a certain TYPE of movie and making it their genre. Specific to them. Not the other way around... Is the only way I could think of to actually break through the wall and get taken seriously as a writer.

Maybe it was the only way I could take myself seriously too. Either way, thanks for the post. It should be cut, pasted and stuck to the top of this forum. Every forum.

I'm starting to think that a Tao's FAQ section should be added to the site so those who don't get the opportunity to read your wisdom and experiences in the "bizz" could have a chance to read all of your posts.

So they don't forget them. Because I've yet to find one that isn't pure gold, man.

Comment

Working...
                        X