X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Script Shadow in the NY Times!

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
    Brutal, but true.
    Eh, not that brutal. Chief's been proclaiming Eads' innocence in the face of all the contrary evidence for quite some time now. Not much sense in mincing words at this point.
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
      Eh, not that brutal. Chief's been proclaiming Eads' innocence in the face of all the contrary evidence for quite some time now. Not much sense in mincing words at this point.
      I know he does some douchy things but people here seem to be a bit obsessed (go check the other forums and see how many times he's been mentioned).

I've stated clearly that the $1000 notes is off, reviewing first drafts is off, attaching himself to projects is off.

But his AF feature alone is good enough for me.

If I distance myself from Carson, it will be because I decided so and not because I want to join the 'cool club' (agents, managers and some writers that hate him).

Will it change if I get to be a pro-writer? Of course.

But I'm not. Not yet.

It's a bit like amateur (aspiring) models going into a frenzy because there's a blog that posts pics of dresses of professional (known) models before it comes out.

Reading through these threads it seems like the amateurs (that haven't sold) writers seem to care more about this than the established pro writers.

Where I come from we'd say: Stop begging it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
        I said they, not we.

If they did I'm sure we would have the Hate Squad and their minions on DDP complaining about it.

Yes, I said hate. There's no way that people would spend so much time, repeating arguments they've used over a gazillion times if they were just against his practices.

I know hate when I see it.
        I also know an apologist when I see one.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
          That's been your experience as a professional writer, Chief?
          It's been a few months since you rated Howie's Simpsons-esqu cannibal flick. I think it's time for you to read Chief's script, then publicly post your critique.
          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Maybe the moment we got people going at each other is the right time to drop the thread?

Comment

Good call Dr. Vergerus.

As for the rest, I'll see you next week in the new Scriptshadow thread.

Comment

I know he does some douchy things but people here seem to be a bit obsessed (go check the other forums and see how many times he's been mentioned).

I don't think I've ever posted about Scriptshadow (maybe once?), but just for the record- I think he's pretty scummy.

First off though, if there's anyone out there dumb enough to hand this guy money for consulting, well, that's pretty much a victimless crime. You can't protect stupid people from themselves.

His lack of writing acumen and creative judgement is embarrassingly self-evident in his daily posts.

But the simple fact is that he's a nobody who became someone by illegally posting other people's work to drive traffic to his site, and to that end he succeeded wildly, but it was that traffic alone that gave him a perceived credibility that he doesn't actually deserve.

It's obvious from his PR push for the book and the relaunched site that he's engaged in a cash-grab before all his burned bridges collapse.

I would be embarrassed to have anything I wrote appear on that site.

Comment

Originally posted by goosetown View Post
                  Until you get paid, it's not a job - it's an activity. Or a hobby. Or an interest. Or a passion. Or whatever you want to call it.
                  Am I in the club if I've been paid a notional dollar for a short script? How about if I've been paid five hundred dollars for one? I could ask where the line is, but it's a pointless question because we all know that WGA membership is where it is.

If the pros wish to formally exclude amateurs from script sharing they should have it written into the WGA rules. A bylaw stating that unless it is specifically prohibited then WGA members allow industry professionals and other WGA members to read each other's work.

An irony of this debate is that when it comes to script sharing the pros are on rockier ground than the amateurs. Writing is only a "hobby- to amateurs and we have not profited from it. By contrast Pros are routinely taking unauthorized looks at their direct competitors' products in a restricted market in which they go against each other for financial rewards.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                    Maybe the moment we got people going at each other is the right time to drop the thread?
                    Yes. Very much so. Let's please wrap this thread up fast. There has been more than enough discussion on this topic.
                    Will
                    Done Deal Pro
                    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                      It's been a few months since you rated Howie's Simpsons-esqu cannibal flick. I think it's time for you to read Chief's script, then publicly post your critique.
                      I'm standing by that script and a few other people have responded well to it.

My writing being "Simpsons-esqu" will now get pride of place in all my future queries for all my scripts. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie428 View Post
                        Am I in the club if I've been paid a notional dollar for a short script? How about if I've been paid five hundred dollars for one? I could ask where the line is, but it's a pointless question because we all know that WGA membership is where it is.

If the pros wish to formally exclude amateurs from script sharing they should have it written into the WGA rules. A bylaw stating that unless it is specifically prohibited then WGA members allow industry professionals and other WGA members to read each other's work.

An irony of this debate is that when it comes to script sharing the pros are on rockier ground than the amateurs. Writing is only a "hobby- to amateurs and we have not profited from it. By contrast Pros are routinely taking unauthorized looks at their direct competitors' products in a restricted market in which they go against each other for financial rewards.
                        I think you're missing many of the larger points that some of us have been making.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie428 View Post
                          I'm standing by that script and a few other people have responded well to it.

My writing being "Simpsons-esqu" will now get pride of place in all my future queries for all my scripts. Thanks.
                          For some reason, whenever I think about your script, I keep seeing images from Treehouse of Horror V. Specifically, the scene where the free-range children are roaming inside the pen.

Personally, I prefer schoolkid meat to "Grade F" meat.
                          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

No, they don't face greater restrictions.
                            Plenty of pros have identified the harm SS does to working and non-working writers. With facts.

Closing your eyes doesn't make something disappear.

Comment

This is a good point to close things off here. It's all been covered in depth.
                              sigpic

Website
                              Tweets
                              Book

Comment

Working...
                              X