Not in the WGA - Do I still fire my agent?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not in the WGA - Do I still fire my agent?

Hello, I need help. I am a non-WGA writer who is repped by a big-4 agency in the TV Lit department. I am not yet in the WGA because I am newer to this world, currently being submitted for staffing season right now. My big-4 agent has sent my work to showrunners and networks and I have meetings lined up for shows in the coming weeks.

BUT - Friday night WGA writers were told to fire agents at agencies who did not sign on to the new Agency Code of Conduct/ Working Rule 23.

As a non-WGA writer who will join the WGA once I sign on to my first staffing position, should I tell my agent to stop submitting me for things? Will I look like a scab if this big-4 person submits me even though I am not in the guild? Advice from WGA people would be fabulous!

And, if you are in my boat (non-WGA writer repped by a non-complying agency, trying to get that first staffing gig), feel free to DM me to commiserate.

Re: Not in the WGA - Do I still fire my agent?

I'm not WGA but here is a message I received on this subject from a writer who's a union captain and who had just attended a WGA meeting on this very issue:

"One board member explicitly said to stay with your agent if you're not in the Guild. A lot of this is because they are completely understanding of how difficult it can be to land an agent and they want to support young writers getting their break, finding a job.

Part of the benefit of sticking with your agent is to build your relationship with that person. Agents move all the time and the Guild's beef isn't with the individual agents but the agencies themselves. Also, it's quite possible that in the coming weeks / months, lit agents will be on the move from non-compliant agencies to compliant ones. We'll see.

So, my two cents - stick with your rep but make it clear that you support the WGA in this matter.
    "

My personal two cents: You aren't currently in the union and you don't owe them anything until you are. As you already know it's really really really hard to land an agent, especially a good one at a top agency. So try not to burn any bridges until you have to.

Comment

i asked a WGA writer that i follow and her response was this:
      Hi Lisa. I looked at the faq we got and it doesn’t address this as far as I can tell. Here’s what I would say: if u keep ur agent, I believe u can’t be admitted into the wga or work for any wga signatories.

That said I dont know that a guild you’re not a member of can require you to do anything so it’s more a question of what u want to do.
      it would be aweful if you couldn't get into the WGA or get hired with a signatory, because aren't all the major studios and networks signatories? you should probably check with the WGA maybe?

i think your agent can still rep you for projects that have already been initiated, or are in play, but you cannot (if WGA member) take on any NEW projects after the date of execution.

so if your agent has submitted you for work, you can continue... but as a WGA member nothing new.

here's the WGA link of FAQs: https://www.wga.org/members/membersh...ementation-faq

edited: this is from the guild's site...
      I’m not a Guild member but I just got my first offer on a WGA-covered project. Or I’m a member in a category other than Current (e.g. Post-Current, Associate, or Associate Caucus). Do I need to leave my non-franchised agency?

Working Rules do not apply to non-members. In the present campaign, the Board of Directors has elected to apply Working Rule 23 only to Current members. See the Working Rules here. However, once you join the Guild or become a Current member you will need to terminate representation by any non-franchised agent.
      seem you might be okay. i'd check it out completely, though. and hey, good luck on getting staffed!
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I'm at a non-compliant mid-tier agency and not in the WGA. This doesn't apply to people in our situation, so feel free to keep your agent.

Of course if you get staffed before this is resolved, you will get into the WGA and then you'll have to promptly fire your agents. But that's a bridge you'll have to cross later. For now, you're fine.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
          I'm at a non-compliant mid-tier agency and not in the WGA. This doesn't apply to people in our situation, so feel free to keep your agent.

Of course if you get staffed before this is resolved, you will get into the WGA and then you'll have to promptly fire your agents. But that's a bridge you'll have to cross later. For now, you're fine.
          I'm in the same boat and have been wondering what the expected protocol for us would be. Good to know.

Comment

Thank you for all of your answers! Big help. Going to ride it out for now and keep my agent (who continues to make calls and land me meeting on my behalf), and once I am staffed, I will have to fire said agent. Unless this is resolved before then!

Comment

Originally posted by friesorsalad View Post
              Thank you for all of your answers! Big help. Going to ride it out for now and keep my agent (who continues to make calls and land me meeting on my behalf), and once I am staffed, I will have to fire said agent. Unless this is resolved before then!
              I heard this may not resolve ANY time soon, so I wouldn't sweat it. It could be many months. Everyone buckle in!

Comment

I was worried about this, but it turned out my agent had already signed the WGA code a month ago.

If anyone does get into a weird position and needs anyone, there are smaller agents who have signed and the list of their names is on the WGA website.

Comment

Working...
                X