Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
emily blake

Default Re: How Long Does It Take To Get Your Script Read?

Sounds like you're repped by Lionel Hutz.

Your attorney is giving you horrible advice.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
growingpains
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgary View Post
Your attorney should submit it for you.

I wish. Like most attorneys, there's not enough money to be made from script submissions so he chooses not to do it.

Going back to my original question, how long does a script take to get read if an agent or production company plans to do so?
growingpains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #13
nic.h

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingpains View Post
Going back to my original question, how long does a script take to get read if an agent or production company plans to do so?
There's really no answer to this question. It can be hours or months, depending on so many factors that it's barely worth discussing. There is a general consensus that if you don't hear within the first weeks, there's a good chance you're not going to hear. There are also plenty of examples where contracts have been signed months after submission.

Which takes us back to the first thing I said.

Website
Tweets
Book
nic.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #14
jcgary

Quote:
What is the trick to getting your scripts read at CAA anyway? Do you have to put a code on the outside of the package
R6gbHt59AnAvv72

(case sensitive)
jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
SpecMan13
Regular

Thanks for the code, I was having a hell of a time getting past that doorman. (P.S. He really hates apple fritters)
SpecMan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
Aspirant

Quote:
I wish. Like most attorneys, there's not enough money to be made from script submissions so he chooses not to do it.
I'm an attorney, though not an entertainment attorney. You described this guy as your lawyer, which implies that you've actually retained him for something and have some kind of an ongoing relationship with him. If this is true, then it seems to me he ought to be willing to submit your script to CAA as a professional courtesy, or charge you a very modest fee for doing so. It would only take, what -- 5 or 10 minutes of his time? His refusal to help you out, especially after the advice he apparently gave you, doesn't make any sense to me.

Also, in your original post, you said that you were mailing and emailing your script to "various companies and agents," which suggests that you're sending it, unsolicited, to places beyond just CAA. As others have stated, this is a bad practice. No one will read an unsolicited script, for potential liability reasons, among others. Your attorney could have told you that. You should go the query route; I don't think you're going to have any success doing it this way.
Aspirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
growingpains
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirant View Post
I'm an attorney, though not an entertainment attorney. You described this guy as your lawyer, which implies that you've actually retained him for something and have some kind of an ongoing relationship with him. If this is true, then it seems to me he ought to be willing to submit your script to CAA as a professional courtesy, or charge you a very modest fee for doing so. It would only take, what -- 5 or 10 minutes of his time? His refusal to help you out, especially after the advice he apparently gave you, doesn't make any sense to me.

Also, in your original post, you said that you were mailing and emailing your script to "various companies and agents," which suggests that you're sending it, unsolicited, to places beyond just CAA. As others have stated, this is a bad practice. No one will read an unsolicited script, for potential liability reasons, among others. Your attorney could have told you that. You should go the query route; I don't think you're going to have any success doing it this way.

All my attorney did for me was scare off a potential buyer for my script by trying to get me too much money. In the end I ended up paying him about $2000 for nothing, and needless to say, I'm not too happy about it. You would think he would be willing to submit it for me, but no he won't. If you check around, most entertainment attorneys are the same way, and it baffles me.
growingpains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:46 AM   #18
jcgary

Quote:
If you check around, most entertainment attorneys are the same way, and it baffles me.
It would baffle me too if it were true.

It's not.

Look for someone else. Whomever you're dealing with doesn't know what he's doing and is actively impeding your career and also charging you way too much money. In ten years of working I have never ever paid an entertainment attorney up front -- it's always been as a percentage of my wages.
jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:32 AM   #19
one seven spectrum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycuZqJzSocE
one seven spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
Juno Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgary View Post
It would baffle me too if it were true.

It's not.

Look for someone else. Whomever you're dealing with doesn't know what he's doing and is actively impeding your career and also charging you way too much money. In ten years of working I have never ever paid an entertainment attorney up front -- it's always been as a percentage of my wages.
+1

I female director I know has an entertainment attorney who actively looks for investors for her film in addition to submitting her material for free. She has worked out with her lawyer that they will get a piece of the pie if anything goes through. Unfortunately I think her material most likely isn't too good because she's met with at least a dozen investors looking to invest in films....even a couple who recently won the mega-million lotto and just wanted to invest in a movie "because it seems like a cool thing to do". Maybe if your lawyer thinks your stuff is marketable that may help as well.

The Fiction Story Room
Juno Styles is offline   Reply With Quote