Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,284
Default Neighbor... producer/director intros

Idk where this thread belongs, but...

So, my neighbor is like "Come over, have a drink. Let's chat." Older gay guy. Fukk it, I do. I love talking to people. I just do.

He asks me where I'm at with stuff. I tell him. He says "Listen, I'm gonna make some calls for you, right now." BOOM! He calls, what, 4 legit people. One of them VERY high up "I want you to read a script for me." Phone is on speakerphone: "Okay, send..."

4 sends in one day from chatting with my neighbor. Can't say who, but one of the people he called recently made an overall deal for 9 figures (Probably gives it away). If you can guess, don't say, cuz maybe not them.

But, he's like lemme scroll through my phone "Oh yeah, them... do you have something that works for ____?"

Here's my answer to every question. "Yes!"
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,300
Default Re: Neighbor... producer/director intros

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Idk where this thread belongs, but...

So, my neighbor is like "Come over, have a drink. Let's chat." Older gay guy. Fukk it, I do. I love talking to people. I just do.

He asks me where I'm at with stuff. I tell him. He says "Listen, I'm gonna make some calls for you, right now." BOOM! He calls, what, 4 legit people. One of them VERY high up "I want you to read a script for me." Phone is on speakerphone: "Okay, send..."

4 sends in one day from chatting with my neighbor. Can't say who, but one of the people he called recently made an overall deal for 9 figures (Probably gives it away). If you can guess, don't say, cuz maybe not them.

But, he's like lemme scroll through my phone "Oh yeah, them... do you have something that works for ____?"

Here's my answer to every question. "Yes!"
well done, and good luck.
__________________
My opinions are just that... opinions.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #3
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,284
Default Re: Neighbor... producer/director intros

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
well done, and good luck.
Thanks! I always assume nothing will come of these things. But, the point is: I'm repped, still, I'm out hustling my own game. I've made, no offense to my rep, 8 submissions of my own on this one and he's made 5.

I just don't believe we writers should sit back and WAIT for our reps to do everything. Mingle. With real folks. Who knows what could happen?? Make your own submissions as well. Team effort!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Neighbor... producer/director intros

I agree. But reps do get angry at this **** sometimes! My old ones did. I think the exact quote was "most of our clients just do as they're told" when we were trying to help move our projects... and I'm thinking... well you aren't doing **** so am I just going to sit here and wait for you?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,284
Default Re: Neighbor... producer/director intros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I agree. But reps do get angry at this **** sometimes! My old ones did. I think the exact quote was "most of our clients just do as they're told" when we were trying to help move our projects... and I'm thinking... well you aren't doing **** so am I just going to sit here and wait for you?
Ha! True. But, I feel like "hey... whatevez, if *I* happen to sell this you still get 10%." I feel like, if I'm going to the wrong people, fair enough, I'll sit back. Tell me if I am and I'll stop reaching out. But if I'm going to legit people that you (rep) may not have a relationship with, what's the harm in that? It's one more shop we didn't have on the list, especially if it's a direct inquiry.

I think we gotta (collectively) put our egos away when trying to make deals and just go for whatever MIGHT work.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Neighbor... producer/director intros

Again, on your side. I just been yelled at for helping my own career, which is so weird. Not always. It should be, look I found this guy, Please send the script over. Usually they want the script from the rep over directly from me.

Still, just these little things that are insane for a business where I hear more stories how the writer or director or actor had to make the break themselves... I don't hear a lot of stories of reps fighting for their clients...
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,284
Default Re: Neighbor... producer/director intros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Again, on your side. I just been yelled at for helping my own career, which is so weird. Not always. It should be, look I found this guy, Please send the script over. Usually they want the script from the rep over directly from me.

Still, just these little things that are insane for a business where I hear more stories how the writer or director or actor had to make the break themselves... I don't hear a lot of stories of reps fighting for their clients...

Agreed. It's a friggin weird world (Hollywood). And I agree that they don't often want the script direct from us... I reached out to a producer friend recently and I said at the end of the email "I can send or happy to have my rep send." Ghosted. Seriously? Wow, I've known you for 10 years.

I don't believe a lot of reps "FIGHT!" for their clients, although I did, hardcore. My ex will never admit this, but the truth is she wanted to take the shitty deal in order to make "everyone happy." I was like fukk that, we ain't taking that deal, I don't care who's pissed, we're fighting for the client to get a REAL offer. That was a difference between 300k and, what, like 6-7 million said and done? Very risky move, but it worked. I believe it let the town know we knew what it was worth and were willing to walk (RUN!) from any bad offers. It put people on notice that we were dead serious about a real price. Finally someone (FOX) quit playing games and stepped up with a real offer. Thanks FOX!


I will say though, when making a huge deal like that the most difficult part is knowing who to say no to and why, and being ok with the fact that some people will be pissed they got cut out, kinda. Then restructuring the deal to "make everyone happy."
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker