Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluecat Written Analysis

I submitted to BlueCat one of my screenplays for early written analysis. Both analyses were rather favorable and I resubmitted for the contest. Today I received a written analysis and I couldn't believe the reader was reading the same screenplay! Unfortunately it is 180 degrees opposite in the mind of this reader. Has anyone else had a similar experience with BlueCat?

Re: Bluecat Written Analysis

I only entered once, with a draft of my first script back when I was first starting out. I would say that the paragraph of notes I received were worth the $10 that Bluecat readers are apparently paid for their services.
    Last edited by JoeBanks; 12-14-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I entered the contest early with a Civil War biopic a few years ago and was surprised at the range of my two reading scores. One reader gave me a 54 stating, "I was very much taken by your character who was unlike most we experience on film. You succeeded in stringing together a lifetime of defining moments which together reveal a unique and original character whose real life story truly deserves to be told."

This was the first feedback I got and I found it very encouraging. The other judge gave me a 41. I still managed to make it as a semifinalist, but the scoring difference was a shock. Wishing you all the best in the contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Guinness View Post
        I submitted to BlueCat one of my screenplays for early written analysis. Both analyses were rather favorable and I resubmitted for the contest. Today I received a written analysis and I couldn't believe the reader was reading the same screenplay! Unfortunately it is 180 degrees opposite in the mind of this reader. Has anyone else had a similar experience with BlueCat?
        Hate to break it to you, but BlueCat has a well-known (for many years now) reputation for being hit-or-miss when it comes to the quality of its reader reviews. Just look at previous posts in this forum, or in the forum on MovieBytes.com. What you say doesn't surprise me. Also: they tend to favor dark, quirky scripts, indie fare over commercial fare....
        Last edited by UpandComing; 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM.
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
          Hate to break it to you, but BlueCat has a well-known (for many years now) reputation for being hit-or-miss when it comes to the quality of its reader reviews. Just look at previous posts in this forum, or in the forum on MovieBytes.com. What you say doesn't surprise me. Also: they tend to favor dark, quirky scripts, indie fare over commercial fare....
          That's been my experience too. A complete miss with a woefully bad review, poorly written as well.
          All the best,
          Lee

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
            I was a reader/feedback provider for Bluecat a few years ago, so I'm probably biased, but I think most people who read for Bluecat are aware that they're particpating in a very reputable contest and that they do their work earnestly. Evaluating a screenplay has an objective component, and it's easy to think that if one person gives a script a score of 54, then other scores should be close to that, but many of the objective components are influenced by the subjective impression of those components. Format and structure scores from different readers/judges should be nearly identical, but character, plot, and even marketability are ultimately subjective. Here's a great article (one of a zillion) from Terry Rossio to help soften the blow of disparate scores and responses: http://www.wordplayer.com/columns/wp39.Cover.Me.html

Comment

Originally posted by jcpdoc View Post
              I was a reader/feedback provider for Bluecat a few years ago, so I'm probably biased, but I think most people who read for Bluecat are aware that they're particpating in a very reputable contest and that they do their work earnestly. Evaluating a screenplay has an objective component, and it's easy to think that if one person gives a script a score of 54, then other scores should be close to that, but many of the objective components are influenced by the subjective impression of those components. Format and structure scores from different readers/judges should be nearly identical, but character, plot, and even marketability are ultimately subjective. Here's a great article (one of a zillion) from Terry Rossio to help soften the blow of disparate scores and responses: http://www.wordplayer.com/columns/wp39.Cover.Me.html
              Thanks for sharing from your experience. I do think part of BlueCat's reputation has to do with more than differences based on subjectivity (for example, making inaccurate comments about events in a script). That said, I do give the competition credit for having two people read entries so more than one opinion is taken into account (unlike most contests).
              "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by Guinness View Post
                A few of my resubmission analyses have been tougher than the first ones, but the real question is whether the critical points the reader makes are valid - and in my case, they were. I'd much rather get a short paragraph saying what the reader liked then several saying what didn't work. That helps me make my screenplay better. I 'submitted' five screenplays this year, including two first drafts, simply because Bluecat is the cheapest place I can find to get feedback. I have now receive 15 analyses, of which 14 have helped me improve my screenplays quite substantially. The one that didn't help much - though it did offer one useful suggestion - has been submitted and resubmitted a total of five times over two years, so perhaps I finally got it more or less right!

One of the screenplays I submitted to Bluecat I also sent to a commercial script analyst at a cost of $200. Although this ran to about five pages, much of this was summarising the story - which I already know! It was a helpful critique, and was very well written, but I don't think it offered any more useful points than the two initial analyses I got from Bluecat. And the much more critical resubmission analysis of this screenplay I received from Bluecat, led me to almost to do an almost total re-write and, I think, this has improved it no end.

Over the past three years, I've had about 25 feedback reports from Bluecat, and I don't think there's been one where I've wondered if it was worth the money (even disregarding the contest element). Maybe I've been lucky, or maybe I just need more help with my writing than others. Not sure what people mean about different scores, since I've never been given a score with my feedback. However, I've had the same experience with the Nicholl where a screenplay that made the quarterfinals two years ago didn't even make the top 20 percent last year - and they also read each screenplay twice. Thing is, if your screenplay is neither awful nor brilliant, people are going to take widely different views on it. There's no way around that.
                Last edited by justin; 12-15-2012, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I quarterfinaled in 2011 with my screenplay, Pleasant Valley War. I'm convinced that only 1 of the 2 readers read my script with due care, although they both grasped the central conflict.

For Craig's List readers paid $10 to read and review, you can't expect too much.

Comment

My set of two feedbacks from last year were very helpful in my rewrite of my script. The readers had obviously read the script, and gave their honest critiques of it. If they were only paid $10, kudos to them, for they outperformed their salary.

Comment

First time entrant with BlueCat this year and I can't really fault their system.

There are no other reputable contests (at least that I know of) that offer feedback as part of their entry fee.

Both sets of feedback I received from my initial entry were pretty good. They both tallied quite well with each other and offered similar notes in terms of how I could make improvements.

I resubmitted and received my new notes last week and they more or less were what I had anticipated, even though I was slightly worried that requesting the same reader might just result in them skimming and not re-reading the script in full. But my fears were unfounded. They obviously HAD re-read and gave me notes based on the changes I had made.

I'm pretty happy. For $100, I've received three sets of tremendously helpful notes that have definitely contributed to a much leaner, impactful and meaningful script.
                      http://www.funminecraftservers.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Guinea Pig View Post
                        First time entrant with BlueCat this year and I can't really fault their system.

There are no other reputable contests (at least that I know of) that offer feedback as part of their entry fee.

Both sets of feedback I received from my initial entry were pretty good. They both tallied quite well with each other and offered similar notes in terms of how I could make improvements.

I resubmitted and received my new notes last week and they more or less were what I had anticipated, even though I was slightly worried that requesting the same reader might just result in them skimming and not re-reading the script in full. But my fears were unfounded. They obviously HAD re-read and gave me notes based on the changes I had made.

I'm pretty happy. For $100, I've received three sets of tremendously helpful notes that have definitely contributed to a much leaner, impactful and meaningful script.
                        If you place in the second round phase in Austin Film Fest I believe they give you some basic reader coverage as well.
                        Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

I was in no way complaining about my difference in scores, just expressing surprise. I have found no fault with Bluecat and actually feel both readers read my script in full. From both critiques, I received feedback that was useful and that I've incorporated to create an even better story.

Justin, earlier in the thread you mentioned you did not receive a numerical score, I may have received mine by mistake. Basically, they broke the script down by looking at six key components: Story, Characterization, Dialogue, Description, Clarity, and Originality. There were 10 points maximum available for each category. In one of my evaluations I received all 8s and 9s, the other one mostly 7s. Contests readers are just like any other readers who will review our scripts -- a million and one things will affect how they approach a read, and as writers, we have to accept that and keep writing.

Comment

Yeah, I've entered two years in a row now - the first year one reader had no idea what he/she was talking about. This year both sets of feedback were helpful (though one clearly did not enjoy the script as much!).

Regarding the note of other contests with feedback:

1) Creative World Awards gives great feedback - definitely more detailed than Blue Cat
                            2) ReelAuthors also gives great feedback (but they just raised their prices by A LOT - I know they don't have as big of a rep, but their feedback is great)
                            3) Austin does indeed give feedback to second rounders (top 10% - it was helpful, but by the time I received it, which was MUCH later, I had already revised and addressed all their points)
                            4) FreshVoices - they are legit and so is their feedback, but it's only inlcuded in the price if you enter within the first three months of them going up I think

Others that I don't know whether they are as legit:
                            5) Emerging Screenwriters also gives GREAT feedback, but you have to get in at a certain time
                            6) Same deal with the First Look contest
                            7) I read the Bankable script contest feedback on a buddy's script and the feedback was great (holiday discount), but I am not a fan of the contest.
                            www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                            http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

I entered into the bluecat last year and got some funny coverage that made me shake my head in frustration- -

Reader #1 thought elements A, B, and C we're absolutely hilarious, but elements E, F, and G were horrible, not funny, and ruined the script.

Reader #2 thought E, F, and G were great! But A, B, and C were terrible.

Moral of the story is that comedy is unbelievably subjective.
                              Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Working...
                              X