No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering contest help

Hi

Its been a couple of years since I entered any screenwriting contests. I did get some semifinal and quaterfinal nods. I am going to rename my script and make some changes.

Can someone remind me which of the top screenwriting contests I should enter? I do remember Page, Tracking B and Scriptpalooza.

Thanks.

Re: Entering contest help

Originally posted by xplace View Post
    Hi

Its been a couple of years since I entered any screenwriting contests. I did get some semifinal and quaterfinal nods. I am going to rename my script and make some changes.

Can someone remind me which of the top screenwriting contests I should enter? I do remember Page, Tracking B and Scriptpalooza.

Thanks.
    The Nicholls Fellowship is the cream of all screenwriting competitions. Their entry period starts some time in January and finishes in May.

PAGE is another good one.

I like Blue Cat as you get two sets of quite good feedback included for your entry fee, but I'm aware that not everyone likes it. But for me, Blue Cat's best attribute is their deadline of November; quite handy if you've set yourself a goal of writing a script during the year.
    http://www.funminecraftservers.com/

Comment

My personal favorites are TrackingB, Nicholl, Austin Film Fest, and Bluecat.
      Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Thanks.

Anyone heard of Gq agents screenwriting contest?
        Last edited by xplace; 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xplace View Post
          Thanks.

Anyone heard of Gq agents screenwriting contest?
          "GQ screenwriting contest... where YOU must look as good as your writing!"
          It's their first year, so who knows? However, the URL in DDPro cannot be resolved by my DNS... Yet another contest "tearing down the industry standard barrier". At least they're knowledgeable enough to know the buzzwords...
          oh, sorry... it's "Gq", not "GQ"... perhaps that tells you more...

Comment

In addition to all the ones listed above:

Creative World Awards (CWA).

I've also gotten good results from StoryPros, either the Awards version early in the year, or the International, later on.

Scriptapalooza and Slamdance are worth entering -- though I haven't entered Slamdance recently, I plan to this year.

All the above contests provide a coverage option, and the coverage is usually good to excellent.

I've also heard good things about Writers on the Storm, but had a mixed result the one time I entered. Your experience could be different....

Comment

My advice - just do a couple this year (that do feedback), I've done BlueCat two times in a year and not been super-impressed with their feedback.

Fresh voices is a little better. ReelAuthors was great but has stopped.... CWA is wonderful but expensive.

ALWAYS do Nicholl - and might as well do Austin too.

Then next year try a couple more - what's the rush? The point is to learn and see where your script stands, so take your time.
              www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
              http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

I like them for the feedback. Just for kicks I entered Bankable Script to see what happens and for their feedback. They don't have "deadlines", they run mini contests with 100 scripts. winner gets 10k. just google bankable script contest.

the feedback from blue cat was very good, but the best coverage I got was from Writers on the storm/coverage inc. I have a family christmas comedy, which is not really a fit for their contest I don't think, but the feedback report was like 12 pages, in depth, broken down to each catagory, ideas, just was really informative and helped us with our rewrite.

good luck!
                • Go and do likewise gents..

Comment

Agree with everyone re: Nicholl.

PAGE is a favorite of mine, but I personally think you have to be a Finalist or beyond to get any kind of sniff from industry peeps.

With the the Nicholl, anything above QF gets you a lot of queries from pretty decent places.

Comment

Nicholl is top dog.

Austin is good.

I don't see anyone mentioning Sundance. Sundance can be a career launcher too.
                    GirlinGray

Comment

Working...
                    X