Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entourage vs. Californication

I'm curious, if there are peeps on this board who are actually in a position to know: which is the more accurate representation of Hollywood, if any?

I realize this is cable and they have no choice but to push the envelope, but is every single woman in HW really ready to f*** the next big shot on a moment's notice? Do agents really get whores and blow for their clients? Do people in a *professional* setting really use that kind of language?

I love both shows, one from the star-rep point of view, the other from the writer-rep point of view.

But I mean, come on, right?

Or... maybe not.

Re: Entourage vs. Californication

I love both shows too, though I'm not sure how accurate they are in depicting Hollywood. But women (or rather h*** because some women actually have values) all over are pretty willing to f*** the next big shot or any guy with a nice car and flashy watch.

Comment

I don't think either of them has much to do with reality.

I realize this is cable and they have no choice but to push the envelope, but is every single woman in HW really ready to f*** the next big shot on a moment's notice?
      Of course not. But it is, I think, a fairly promiscuous city, simply because of the large number of 20-somethings who move here.

I had a friend who was occasionally running around with DiCaprio's crew, and there were a ton of women throwing themselves at DiCaprio. But you have to figure he's one of the most attractive men on the planet, so it's not that surprising.

Attractive, successful people in Hollywood have a lot of options because there are a lot of attractive single people in Los Angeles. I tend to think about it as being sort of like college, except with more money, where successful actors are the popular kids. The most popular kid in school doesn't have a hard time finding women.

But Entourage and Californication are largely male fantasy writ large. I don't even particularly think that they're trying to hide that's what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
        But you have to figure he's one of the most attractive men on the planet, so it's not that surprising.
        Not really But he's incredibly rich and a major movie star.

Re. the two shows, yes they're male fantasies on some level, but the reason they work, IMO, is that they have a strong emotional core that grounds the story. In Entourage it's about friendship, and in Californication it's about Hank's enduring love for his soulmate and daughter. Obviously the sex and the depravity and the glamor of HW help sell the shows, but without that strong emotional core, it would just be trash.

Comment

Entourage is a lot closer to reality then people think. Deals get f*cked up all the time. Execs hold grudges. Foul language is rampant in professional meetings. Now if you're asking about the sex part, sure it's over the top. But LA is a promiscuous city.

The business side of Entourage is very realistic.

I love Californication, but I think that show is more of a fantasy. But it's still one of my favorites shows ever.

There's a lot of business scenarios in Entourage I've seen happen or heard happening. Entourage definitely is cribbing from a lot of true life stories with the major plots in the series dealing with Hollywood.
          Last edited by Deion22; 09-21-2014, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
            Not really But he's incredibly rich and a major movie star.
            To-may-to, to-mah-to.

Attractiveness is not entirely about physical appearance. It's not exclusively about that to men, and we're the ones who are generally considered to prioritize it, so it's certainly not the only thing to women.

When you consider all the things that women generally consider attractive as a total package, I stand by my statement.

Comment

the blind items at Crazy Days and Nights make those shows seem tame

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/

Comment

When you consider all the things that women generally consider attractive as a total package, I stand by my statement.
                Well duh, of course he's a great catch I just meant that I don't think he ever had that major sex symbol status of some of the other mega A listers.

Speaking of which, there's an interview somewhere with Clooney and Pitt talking about how Matt Damon was really lobbying hard to get the Sexiest Man Alive title. It's hilarious.

Comment

Well duh, of course he's a great catch I just meant that I don't think he ever had that major sex symbol status of some of the other mega A listers.
                  I agree with Rantan about DiCaprio. He's a good actor, but I've never thought he was very attractive. He just happened to luck into that uber-romantic role in Titanic that made him a major tween heartthrob star. Same with Robert Pattinson and that other kid in Twilight. And that kid from A Fault in Our Stars. Put any average looking young actor in those kind of teen or YA romantic parts and they instantly become major tween heartthrobs. But adult women usually don't find them that attractive, because they're not really. But if they're good actors, like Leo, they continue to have very successful careers. Just my opinion, obviously.
                  "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                    the blind items at Crazy Days and Nights make those shows seem tame

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/
                    Welcome to the real Hollywood!

I recommend Full Service, by Scotty Bowers. Quite the eye-opener.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_...s_of_the_Stars
                    If you really like it you can have the rights
                    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Uh, DiCaprio is basically known for constantly dating supermodels. Seriously, of all the A-listers, he's the one with the biggest reputation for chasing tail that I can think of. He's the one who is often out on the Sunset strip clubbing.

Even Clooney, at the height of his Clooneyness, was seen as something of a serial monogamist. I agree that DiCaprio doesn't have that kind of "sexiest man alive" cred but as far as guys who are out there living the "Entourage" lifestyle, he's pretty much the #1 example.

Although I'm not exactly sure why we're discussing this.

Comment

Uh, DiCaprio is basically known for constantly dating supermodels. Seriously, of all the A-listers, he's the one with the biggest reputation for chasing tail that I can think of. He's the one who is often out on the Sunset strip clubbing.

Even Clooney, at the height of his Clooneyness, was seen as something of a serial monogamist. I agree that DiCaprio doesn't have that kind of "sexiest man alive" cred but as far as guys who are out there living the "Entourage" lifestyle, he's pretty much the #1 example.

Then, I guess by that standard, Mick Jagger is the most handsome man on the planet.
                        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Like, OMG you guys, Leo's totes like, the bees' knees...
                          Last edited by UpandComing; 09-23-2014, 05:03 PM.
                          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Pretty vapid young things having sex with guys who are loaded... oh... OKAY Major Newsflash.

Comment

I hadn't watched Californication since the second season. Then I heard some interesting things about the most recent season that made me want to take a peek.

There were some scenes set in a TV show writing room that felt like some of the worst television I'd ever seen. I mean, this show is written in a writers' room. How could it be so bizarrely awful in its depiction?

Or maybe writers' rooms are just filled with 8 idiots and 1 person who understands actual story. I'm sure that's accurate for more than a few shows.

Comment

Working...
                              X