No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolemite Is My Name

Thought it was overall enjoyable.

Had a rocky start that was very "generic 2010s biopic" but finally finds its footing about halfway through. I wouldn't say it ever elevates to masterpiece territory, but it stays enjoyable from there til the end. And sure enough it is a good return to form for Murphy.

Re: Dolemite Is My Name

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
    Thought it was overall enjoyable.

Had a rocky start that was very "generic 2010s biopic" but finally finds its footing about halfway through. I wouldn't say it ever elevates to masterpiece territory, but it stays enjoyable from there til the end. And sure enough it is a good return to form for Murphy.
    Will see it just because of Eddie Murphy (script must have had that “actor-bait” thing William Goldman wrote about). Also, it is NOT panned by the critics: Washington Post; Wall Street Journal: New York Post; Variety.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I wouldn't quite call this a quintessential situation of where the script was actor's bait. Obviously, that happens and needs to happen for most movies to get a greenlight; but Eddie originally met with/called in (writers) Scott & Larry 16 something years ago with the idea of doing it. So from the beginning he was on board as producer & driving force as much as anything. He knew Rudy Ray, loved his movies and had even talked to the man about doing a bio of his life.

Yes, the script had to be good enough for Eddie to officially commit and surely others too, but in his case he was already sold on the idea since it was his to begin with vs a script written on spec and the guys having to worry whether someone would even show interest. They got paid to write it by Netflix and they wrote it specifically for Eddie. No guarantees; but much more in their favor than normally would be for most projects.

Here is an interview with them: https://collider.com/dolemite-is-my-...ski-interview/
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Wow, didn't know all that. I guess that oughta make us scared if it took Eddie Murphy 16 years to get a movie made!

It did pale in comparison to Ed Wood (imo), sadly. But good nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
          I wouldn't quite call this a quintessential situation of where the script was actor's bait. Obviously, that happens and needs to happen for most movies to get a greenlight; but Eddie originally met with/called in (writers) Scott & Larry 16 something years ago with the idea of doing it. So from the beginning he was on board as producer & driving force as much as anything. He knew Rudy Ray, loved his movies and had even talked to the man about doing a bio of his life.

Yes, the script had to be good enough for Eddie to officially commit and surely others too, but in his case he was already sold on the idea since it was his to begin with vs a script written on spec and the guys having to worry whether someone would even show interest. They got paid to write it by Netflix and they wrote it specifically for Eddie. No guarantees; but much more in their favor than normally would be for most projects.

Here is an interview with them: https://collider.com/dolemite-is-my-...ski-interview/
          Good to know. 180º away from my supposition. Thank you for the link, too.

Yesterday, I watched Dolemite and I thought it was great. From cues and clues throughout the film, it was easy to see that Murphy’s heart was in Dolemite from start to finish.

Taking a long time to get to the screen seems to be the Hollywood norm where future gems and jewels of cinema are concerned. John Huston had a similar journey in order to make one of his “passion project” films with The Man Who Would Be King.
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 10-31-2019, 06:12 AM.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
          X