Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
NikeeGoddess
User

Default The Pitch

okay so... they put this reality show on right after Mad Men which makes sense. it's actually kind of interesting. wouldn't it be cool if they did this pitch thing in the movie-making business. actually, they do but we are not privy to it like this.

amazon studios has two current "pitch" contests for writing assignments. and there are those speed dating pitchfests. but only insiders really get to pitch to major producers.

anyhoo -- i'm just talking out loud.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
mge457
Regular

Default Re: The Pitch

Agreed, that would definitely be interesting. Back in the 90s, Doug Ellin (Entourage) did a short about pitching movie execs:

The Pitch

Also I like this little gem:

Bruckheimer Pitch Meeting
Old 05-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
sc111

Project Greenlight had finalists pitch on camera to land the one slot.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
jboffer

Ha, well, would you REALLY want that show?

I say it because, as someone who works in advertising, all "The Pitch" has done is make our industry look incredibly incompetent, juvenile, and lame. I bet this theoretical show would take the same direction.

That being said, it's fun to watch.
jboffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Left Hand
User

Yeah, "The Pitch" isn't doing the ad business any favors. Especially because the companies choose the wrong one, like, every freaking time.

I also think it'd be a bad idea to do a filmmaker one - it'd probably end up a season long competition, and do you really want to see a few hundred amateur screenwriters get rejected on national television?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
NikeeGoddess
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand View Post
...do you really want to see a few hundred amateur screenwriters get rejected on national television?
yes. maybe they'll stop writing their crap ideas and make more room for the rest of us. <<hee, hee!!!>>
Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboffer View Post
Ha, well, would you REALLY want that show?

I say it because, as someone who works in advertising, all "The Pitch" has done is make our industry look incredibly incompetent, juvenile, and lame. I bet this theoretical show would take the same direction.

That being said, it's fun to watch.
Yes! The format/process they use also puzzles me. When they have the first sitdown (with both agencies in the same room, something I've never seen happen), no one asks the client any questions. They simply head off to develop whatever the client requested.

Clients don't always know what they need -- that's why they hire agencies.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
NikeeGoddess
User

i'm pretty sure they ask questions, but they can't fit everything on the show. they only have 44 minutes of screen time.

i never went into advertising, but i loved Bewitched and wanted to be her. she always saved the advertiser's pitch (for Darrin) with her wacky family and their antics.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
jboffer

Yeah, I've read enough from people involved in the show's process to know the show basically projects an alternate reality. They determine what the narratives are going to be based on the footage available and create that narrative, contradictions be damned. We get a lot less of true creative process and a lot more of these invented story lines. The truly amazing part is how often they're able to create "the villain" every episode with clever editing.

It also doesn't help that the creative executions have been terrible (the one-week timeline does no favors), and the clients do consistently pick the worse campaign.

What the show fails to capture is the process that creates good work. Maybe that's because there hasn't been any good work/agencies, but still, there is a process to advertising that's magical. The brainstorms where people play off each other. Where one person's joke turns into another person's bad idea turns into another person's insight turns into another person's great idea. But if you're an average viewer, you'd come away from this show thinking all advertising is is just writing taglines on a white board until one sounds cool, then proceed. That's really not how it works.

Then again, maybe that is how those agencies work. I wouldn't know.
jboffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboffer View Post
It also doesn't help that the creative executions have been terrible (the one-week timeline does no favors), and the clients do consistently pick the worse campaign.

What the show fails to capture is the process that creates good work. Maybe that's because there hasn't been any good work/agencies, but still, there is a process to advertising that's magical. The brainstorms where people play off each other. Where one person's joke turns into another person's bad idea turns into another person's insight turns into another person's great idea. But if you're an average viewer, you'd come away from this show thinking all advertising is is just writing taglines on a white board until one sounds cool, then proceed. That's really not how it works.

Then again, maybe that is how those agencies work. I wouldn't know.
They seem to edit out most of the individual team concepting sessions and only show when the teams present to the CD.

The one week deadline is definitely a factor. You need a lot of that time to come up with a creative brief to use internally. We had a couple of those last minute invitations to pitch but we would clear all other work -- reassign it to someone who was light that week, get extensions, whatever. We'd work on that one pitch the entire week. The work we've seen on this show consistently looks like slapdash ideas.

If the creatives are still servicing their other accounts that week, they probably haven't put more than a couple hours into these clients. And it shows. And though I have not checked, I have a feeling all these wins may not be full agency of record wins.

My last CD (who was a pain in the butt yet the best I'd ever worked with for putting on a pitch show) would always walk in with three separate campaigns and everyone in creative who worked on them. We looked like an army. He'd always save the best idea for last. And he always did his best to get the clients to come to our offices for the pitch. Home turf advantage. It was definitely a head game.

Last edited by sc111 : 05-31-2012 at 09:30 PM.
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote