Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Chief

Default Re: ScriptShadow selling posters for scripts

Line of Sight.

http://scriptshadow.blogspot.co.uk/2...-of-sight.html
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
SoCalScribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
"If you want more read requests for your e-mail queries, it's time to add a SCREENPLAY POSTER."

Here's a link to the page

http://scriptshadow.net/concept-artists

I think it would be a bad idea to attach one to a query letter because if someone saw the attached file and don't know you then they might just delete the email, which is a risk anyway.

Not sure it would be of much help otherwise though, any thoughts on this?

Like most things Carson attaches his name to, these prices seem outrageously expensive for a marketing gimmick that will likely be ignored entirely. These guys charge a minimum of $375 to $500 for their work. Personally, I'd rather let my writing speak for itself and spend that money on something else, but hey, if someone else has the cash and wants to do it, that's their call.

In my experience, I have seen far more execs pass on scripts because of included graphic materials than request them. That's not to say visuals never work, but you're far more likely to turn someone off than you are to hook them and get them wanting more. Writing is already subjective enough; do you really want to give them something (an image) that's even easier to make a snap decision about?

A query with words at least gives you the chance of having your audience imagine the possibilities. A query with an image tells them definitively, "this is the vision for this thing." And sure, you might get someone who wants your exact vision and is excited by the fact that you "get it." But it comes at the cost of losing anyone who might be on the fence or is hoping that you have a malleable vision for the film.

There's a risk and reward to everything. In some cases, graphics might help you depending on the project, your audience, and what you're trying to accomplish. But I don't think we should all be running out to have people mock up movie posters for us to send with our query letters. It's not going to make it an easier for you to get a read request.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Howie428
User

From what Iíve heard these images are useful for pitching. A one page handout with your info and a picture is helpful if you are doing the pitchfest thing. It gives you something you can leave behind and the image helps make the pitch memorable.

However, I agree with others here that there isnít a need to pay for this. You can put something together yourself or have a friend do it. I use nothing more sophisticated than Paint and PowerPoint. The results arenít spectacular, but for me itís better to illustrate the concept in a relaxed way.

<<== To show my point, Iíve changed my avatar to one of my efforts.
Howie428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
ATB

Don't do it. Stupid. Another way for SS to shaft writers.

ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
karlosd
User

Whenever I've stumbled onto a script that includes artwork, I've really appreciated it, as it means the page count is actually less than advertised...
karlosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
JeffLowell

I'm waiting for the magic beans.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
spacefarer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
I'm waiting for the magic beans.
Can I have some, too?

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"
spacefarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
karlosd
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefarer View Post
Can I have some, too?
Jeff takes 40% off the top... including but not restricted to any future golden coins, golden eggs or harps (magical or standard) that may result from the use of said magic beans.
karlosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
emily blake

I read Line of Sight without cover art, and I didn't miss a thing. It's a great script. I'm pretty certain that Scott didn't add the art himself, that it was a gimmick. Producers and reps try a lot of gimmicks to get attention to script they want to sell, and I'm sure they always have good reasons, but in the end if your script is no good it's not going to matter whether you have cover art, or whether your script has a curse word in the title, or whether your mom knows Rudin.

Don't pay someone to design cover art. It won't help you. Just put all your time and energy into writing a great script.

As Jeff just implied, there are no magic beans.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
JeffLowell

Emily, I think the last thing new writers need is you telling them that magic beans aren't real.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote