Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My concept sold today

Sadly, I've had this happen with more projects than not. Every time I get close to finishing a script now, I reflexively start looking over my shoulder for some announcement in the trades.

In fact, several years ago, my old partner and I landed on this border concept too. One lead, just like yours, exact same idea. Wrote up a treatment and started testing the waters with reps and producers. We loved this idea. Know what we were told? Scrap it -- this is a project that'll never get any interest, the subject matter's too touchy and political. So we gave it up. Yesterday's announcement was frustrating as hell.

Still, we didn't write it, so it's nowhere near as frustrating as what you must be going through. I feel your pain, really. But you're getting good advice here -- let your reps guide you, and keep boldly plowing forward. Clearly you're right on target.

Comment

It happens. We're all fishing out of the same pond of ideas and there are so many guppies to reel in. Take the night off. Go get drunk, get laid, take in a Tiger's game (what I'm doing tomorrow-wahoo!) or whatever puts a smile on your mug (preferably legal) and start a new--or better yet morph your cool concept into an even better one. Maybe yours will not only find a home too but get made first... you get the last laugh... or just stuck with a nice little portfolio of work--win win.

Comment

A friend of mine wrote a script based (in part) on a news story that was published in Canada a few years ago. His script was a finalist at both the Austin Film Festival and TrackingB this year -- and then came the bad news...

Jason Segel's production company bought a pitch based on the same news story, a project that will likely be a starring vehicle for Segel.

So, at this point, my friend's script -- even though it did well at contests -- will be nothing more than a writing sample.

Comment

Originally posted by oddsoulpics View Post
          A friend of mine wrote a script based (in part) on a news story that was published in Canada a few years ago. His script was a finalist at both the Austin Film Festival and TrackingB this year -- and then came the bad news...

Jason Segel's production company bought a pitch based on the same news story, a project that will likely be a starring vehicle for Segel.

So, at this point, my friend's script -- even though it did well at contests -- will be nothing more than a writing sample.
          Hence the problem with basing a spec. script on news stories. No matter how small the news outlet, if it's even a halfway decent concept that hasn't been done before, you can guarantee a hundred other screenwriters with more experience/credits/connections than you are on it already.

Comment

No matter what idea you come up with, ten other writers have the same idea. First one across the line wins.

I often tell clients about a script I once read on a Tuesday. It was a comedy about a rivalry between two door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesmen. On Thursday, I read the exact same concept from another writer living in a different state.

I feel your pain, been there myself, but all you can do is keep moving forward.
            NOTES / COVERAGE
            15,000+ Screenplays
            [email protected]

Comment

I was working on a Sci-fi comedy I absolutely loved - younger protagonist, an intergalactic race, it was funny, had heart, a lot of adventure -

And then some unknowns named Rossio and Marsilli sold LIGHTSPEED for $5 million...
              @PatriotFrames

Comment

When I was in college I did an internship at a theater company reading and critiquing plays from the slush pile. They had a room full of shelves with hundreds of scripts. Some of them had been there over a year.

Every week I randomly picked two scripts off the shelves to read and critique. And every single week those two scripts had striking similarities in plots, themes, and/or main characters. Just those two scripts of the week, not the ones for the weeks before or after.

I don't know what it meant, I still don't, but I know I was impressed by something uncanny at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                  Couple of thoughts:

First of all, this means you can come up with great, commercial concepts! That's awesome. Keep it up! As you gain experience, you'll get faster and faster at turning them into scripts.

Second, don't panic. Projects that are very, very similar at the logline stage can be very, very different at the script stage. The sales hook for a script tells you very little about that script's unique flavor of comedy - you may well read the script for this project and realize that even though the loglines sound incredibly similar, the actual projects are miles apart.
                  I feel ya-- this has happened to me at least three times. It sucks big time. And it stings bad. But it doesn't mean it's dead. It might be, but you don't know yet.

But I have to agree a lot with Ronaldinho, because one of those specs that I thought was so similar to mine, like exactly the same tone and setting, turned out to be Oblivion and the actual story isn't like mine, which means it's still viable. It is different. And I'll be revisiting that spec again soon.

I've taken the advice of a more experienced writer in the past that told me to let the concept go and start another. I have set down three projects, started, outlined, first act done and then poof. Three in a row, and it's one of my biggest regrets, because after that year of three parallel concepts I didn't have a completed spec to show for it, and that's by far a lot worse.

Keep an open mind. It may not be the end of the spec. It may open doors as yet unseen.

I don't know if you listen to ScriptNotes podcast with John August and Craig Mazin, but John has told how he had the exact same premise-- and even similar story beats (if I remember correctly) as Pacific Rim, and he's said he's disappointed that it will never get made now.

You've got a good eye for commercial concepts, it's a good thing. And maybe you will have to write faster-- I know it's not easy, I write at night and on the weekends, work a full time job, am a single parent to a pre-teen. It's hard to get the time to devote to getting the story on the page.

Do your best work. Keep writing. Keep coming up with great concepts.

And most importantly, allow yourself to let it go, so you can move onto your next great idea.

Good luck,
                  FA4
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

This seems related -- recent post on Go into the Story regarding "similar but different" concepts:

http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...-approach.html

Comment

Dude. That is AWFUL. So sorry.

I feel your pain though. This situation (though maybe not as painfully specific) happened to me on more than one occasion. It's feels like someone literally crawled into your brain and stole the idea with voodoo or something. One time, for me, it was Stan Lee. He announced a new graphic novel concept a year or so ago that was verbatim the same concept I'd been developing the year before. So in the trash went my notes. If nothing else I figured it was flattering to share a brainwave with a legend like him. That was at least a little comforting...

Other times it's less exact, but still hurts. Example: Yesterday I pitched a concept to my new manager that I'd been working towards on and off for the last year, and he said the setting and subject matter is very much NOT in right now, likely wouldn't sell in the current market and I shouldn't waste any more time on it. Then, just this morning, a trade mag announces an A-list actress (the SAME ONE that I'd envisioned for my concept) has signed on to a project with nearly a nearly identical setting and subject matter. All I could think was, ARE YOU EFFING SERIOUS? It also threw into question the perspective I was given on writing for the market as opposed to writing what I'm passionate about.

It's a hard game, this writing biz.

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
                        Dude. That is AWFUL. So sorry.

I feel your pain though. This situation (though maybe not as painfully specific) happened to me on more than one occasion. It's feels like someone literally crawled into your brain and stole the idea with voodoo or something. One time, for me, it was Stan Lee. He announced a new graphic novel concept a year or so ago that was verbatim the same concept I'd been developing the year before. So in the trash went my notes. If nothing else I figured it was flattering to share a brainwave with a legend like him. That was at least a little comforting...

Other times it's less exact, but still hurts. Example: Yesterday I pitched a concept to my new manager that I'd been working towards on and off for the last year, and he said the setting and subject matter is very much NOT in right now, likely wouldn't sell in the current market and I shouldn't waste any more time on it. Then, just this morning, a trade mag announces an A-list actress (the SAME ONE that I'd envisioned for my concept) has signed on to a project with nearly a nearly identical setting and subject matter. All I could think was, ARE YOU EFFING SERIOUS? It also threw into question the perspective I was given on writing for the market as opposed to writing what I'm passionate about.

It's a hard game, this writing biz.
                        I believe it was Mazin who said it best, and I'm paraphrasing, "agents and managers are great at selling material, not at telling you what you should be writing."

I think when you first get out here and you're still pretty green, you just assume that those who actually cash paychecks in this town must know something you don't. I've only been out here a few years but from what I can tell, they don't. Every bit of "write this, not that" advice I've gotten, whether from reps or in generals, has been fit for a toilet bowl.

And yeah man, hardest game in town. Next to acting of course. I couldn't imagine doing that sh-t.

Comment

My concept hits the theaters May 9th starring Johnny Depp, man. Worked on it for a year. Massive brainwrecking, rewrites, midnight revelations. Turns out the script was on the Black List around the time I started the first draft.

If it taught me anything, it's FVCK CONCEPTS and be happy.

Listen to my story.

Two years ago I wrote a small script based on my fears and obsessions concerning a member of my family. It was my second, did semi-well on Nicholl, got free-optioned by an indie producer. Some weeks of elation, then waiting, waiting, and a realization struck me: it's going nowhere, not commercial enough, I'm getting old, etc. etc.

Okay, I'm not a dude who gives up easily. I need a commercial concept. Something that positively CANNOT not sell. What's the hottest idea right now? What Hollywood wants? Hey! I got it. Let's get down to it and write. Pow! Finished. Sending out. Not much response for the logline. WTF? One day I check IMDB and see the almost-exact same concept in post production.

I think I cried.

But wait, there's a happy ending. Remember the small script I wrote before that one? The one not based on what Hollywood wants to buy, the one based on my private one obsession, the one without a mega-high concept? The indie producer says there's one company interested in buying it. They love it but the negotiations last and last, my guy has to extend the option (paying me this time) and one day I get a phone call from an exec at that company. They might buy it, they might not, but they want to talk with me about one idea they have, one idea that's similar in tone and setting to the small script.

Today I turned in the second version of the outline, I'm starting to write the script tomorrow. They're paying almost exactly what I make a year at my stupid day job. Enough for me to feel I'm a damn writer, enough to sustain my family for one year.

The lesson? Again. Fvck concepts, fvck what you think Hollywood wants to see. Find that one obsession, one fear, one thing that makes you lose your sleep. It will resonate and it will be your own.

Comment

Really, this is the same as writing any script that doesn't sell. A year or some months down the drain. But, not really. The experience all adds up. In addition, your script could have not went anywhere anyway. For lots of reasons. You don't really know.

As others have noted, at least you know you were good at coming up with a concept.

Now, if you had a producer all ready to write a check and then this happened and he then backed out--that's a different story.

Everybody hates to see their script go down--whether from no one buying or some other similar concept selling or the news changing (I had that happen, new events rendered the script null) or any number of other things.

It is always gut wrenching.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                              My concept hits the theaters May 9th starring Johnny Depp, man. Worked on it for a year. Massive brainwrecking, rewrites, midnight revelations. Turns out the script was on the Black List around the time I started the first draft.

Listen to my story.

Two years ago I wrote a small script based on my fears and obsessions concerning a member of my family. It was my second, did semi-well on Nicholl, got free-optioned by an indie producer. Some weeks of elation, then waiting, waiting, and a realization struck me: it's going nowhere, not commercial enough, I'm getting old, etc. etc.

Okay, I'm not a dude who gives up easily. I need a commercial concept. Something that positively CANNOT not sell. What's the hottest idea right now? What Hollywood wants? Hey! I got it. Let's get down to it and write. Pow! Finished. Sending out. Not much response for the logline. WTF? One day I check IMDB and see the almost-exact same concept in post production.

I think I cried.

But wait, there's a happy ending. Remember the small script I wrote before that one? The one not based on what Hollywood wants to buy, the one based on my private one obsession, the one without a mega-high concept? The indie producer says there's one company interested in buying it. They love it but the negotiations last and last, my guy has to extend the option (paying me this time) and one day I get a phone call from an exec at that company. They might buy it, they might not, but they want to talk with me about one idea they have, one idea that's similar in tone and setting to the small script.

Today I turned in the second version of the outline, I'm starting to write the script tomorrow. They're paying almost exactly what I make a year at my stupid day job. Enough for me to feel I'm a damn writer, enough to sustain my family for one year.

The lesson? Again. Fvck concepts, fvck what you think Hollywood wants to see. Find that one obsession, one fear, one thing that makes you lose your sleep. It will resonate and it will be your own.
                              Awesome story goldmund ... and congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post

Listen to my story.

I think I cried.

That's how I write. Makes me really interested in what I am writing. Have no idea if I will every sell anything. But, also, usually my concepts (and/or my original expression of said concept) are not "out there".

Be yourself. Write what pulls you. Then put it out there.
                                Last edited by MacGuffin; 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM. Reason: Don't want to "Damn the consequences", actually want something more pleasant to result : >)

Comment

Working...
                                X