Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Jules

Default ScriptShadow selling posters for scripts

"If you want more read requests for your e-mail queries, it's time to add a SCREENPLAY POSTER."

Here's a link to the page

http://scriptshadow.net/concept-artists

I think it would be a bad idea to attach one to a query letter because if someone saw the attached file and don't know you then they might just delete the email, which is a risk anyway.

Not sure it would be of much help otherwise though, any thoughts on this?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Knaight

Default Re: ScriptShadow selling posters for scripts

Yeah, I don't see a scenario where attaching an image to your query helps you. If I were on the receiving end, I'd delete it before even bothering to take a look.

Maybe you could include a hyperlink to it, but even then I think it'd come off as more bizarre/desperate than anything.

A poster might be able to help set the tone for a read, but I can't imagine it'll help you get requests.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
Jules

Some people have been putting images in their scripts (Scott Fraizer for one) and I can see how that might help to create a tone, but they're not paying thousands of dollars for them.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
one seven spectrum

I might be wrong, but I don't think he put images in his script, rather reps/producers added them.

A poster image would be great to front the rest of your proposal document -- but that's a job and a document for a producer to worry about.

99.9% of the time, the posters I've seen people put together for their screenplays are sh*t. Mine included. And I don't think slinging someone $500 to make a better sh*t poster is going to help a writer looking to get their script noticed. At all.

Producer tool. Not writer tool.

Only time it's a valuable writer's tool is when it is made by the writer for the writer, as concept art to help as a visual aide to help them write the screenplay, which is where they should be spending their time. Myself included.
one seven spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Knaight

I know a handful of working writers who put images in their scripts, as well as a couple who've paid for them. However, using an image to sell your tone and vision is entirely different than using it to try and get a rep to read your work.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
ihavebiglips

We've had success with image-based treatments/lookbooks and sizzle reels when pitching or vying for a gig/developing a take, but never included images in a script or query.

With the script you should be writing visually enough to not need the images. A cover page image might add value on establishing the TONE before the read, but it needs to be spot on and badass to bring value. The risk of turning someone off is probably greater than the likelihood of turning them on. And yeah, FSF didn't personally include the images in LINE OF SIGHT as far as I know.

An image in a query would just make me think you were born with the umbilical cord wrapped around your neck.

Oh yeah... fuck SS. This is as dumb as everything else he does.
ihavebiglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Chief

I like the idea of scripts having covers.

But would it work in a query?

I'm not going to risk it!
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
carcar

It's just another income stream for him. The only use for a conceptual poster, IMO, would be to include in a business plan for investors if you were producing your own movie.
carcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Levenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcar View Post
It's just another income stream for him. The only use for a conceptual poster, IMO, would be to include in a business plan for investors if you were producing your own movie.
This. To me, it just shows a rep "I'm not confident in my abilities to paint a picture with words, so here's a picture!"
Levenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Manchester

"Line of Sight" - It's written by Fvckin' Scott Frazier. (That is what the leading "F" stands for, right?) And yet his reps added those in-your-face graphics. What does that tell you?

Let's say a reader will find added images annoying. Still, the impact of a great, complementary image is unavoidable for the reader. At least on a subliminal level.

As with all such cheats, it's a matter of balancing the potential upsides and downsides. One way to manage the potential downsides - Don't go overboard with the artwork. For example, maybe put the image on a page between the title page and page 1. And maybe don't bleed it to the edges; provide a 1" margin/white-space all-around. And don't overproduce the artwork - i.e., don't make it look like a cover on some romance novel. Make it look interesting, engaging, and new, yet perhaps something you might have found by trolling on-line, versus having paid someone lots of $$ to create.

Last edited by Manchester : 11-27-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Correction - Thanks Chief
Manchester is offline   Reply With Quote