Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
Jules

Default Any page count difference between FD8 and FD9?

I know there was a big page count difference between fd7 and fd8 with the new fdx format coming into play. But what about FD9? Can't upgrade if I'm going to keep losing numbers, you don't want to write a 90 page creature feature and suddenly find it's gone down 5 pages.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
ComicBent

Default Re: Any page count difference between FD8 and FD9?

Jules,

I have not run a test for the total page count between FD8 and FD9, and I will not be doing that.

Page count is determined by many factors that relate to line spacing, line length, font, margin settings, and options for how to break sentences and paragraphs at the end of a page.

The biggest factors are font and line spacing. Final Draft line spacing has remained the same over at least the last several versions. The program and the Courier Final Draft font are designed to work together to give you the old typewriter standard of six lines of text per inch (measured baseline to baseline from line 1 to line 7).

Various options about breaks at the end of a page can affect the total number of pages.

In earlier versions of Final Draft, the space that ordinarily comes right before a new Scene Heading carried over to a new page if the new scene happened to fall at the start of a new page. Of course, a scene that starts at the top of a page does not need the blank line or two blank lines that it would need if the scene started in the middle of a page. Final Draft was not sophisticated enough in earlier versions to recognize this fact, and it would waste lines by inserting blank lines at the top of a page. The result over a hundred pages could be an additional page or two, especially if some of your optional settings were "space wasters" (things like breaking only at the end of a sentence at the end of a page).

You are worrying unnecessarily.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Jules

You can knock ten pages of a 120 page script by going from 7 to 8, it's insane.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
ComicBent

Jules,

It is because of your settings, though, except for the issue of "carried over" space before new scenes at the top of a page.

The newer FDX format has nothing to do with the difference in page length or number of pages. The change to eliminate the wasted space with "carried over" space was a great improvement in Final Draft.

You could have gotten a different number of pages if you had written the same script in a different screenwriting program.

The number of pages in FD7 (with default settings) is not some kind of standard. Many people use different settings for allowable line length in things like Dialogue. The default width of a Dialogue paragraph in FD is 3.5". For me that is a shorter line than I want, because long words at the end of the line are going to break, and I may end up with really short lines. I always set my Dialogue paragraphs to allow a few more spaces (most of the time, I use 3.8"). Some people indent the left margin to 1.7" instead of the more common 1.5". You are going to get some variation in number of pages.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
spacefarer

Allow me to chime in and say that I used to have a similar problem with the pages but on reverse. Going from FD7 to FD8 actually yielded 6-8 more pages on my bottom line, driving me insane as I didn't know where to cut from.

I did endless back-and-forth tweaking with my manager over the course of two and a half years, and even contacted ComicBent directly at some point, testing various virtual PDF printers, adjusting my printer's settings, as I was looking for a solution. It was OCD nitpicking to the nth.

After a lot of trial and error, we have concluded that the FD8 margins that seem to resemble the actual white on a Letter page (standard US) are:

Top: 1.00''
Bottom: 0.75''
Header: 0.38''
Footer: 0.38''

ComicBent had suggested the following:

Bottom: 0.88''
Header/Footer: 0.38''

although my manager, who has an eye for detail, was still having issues, even though he was printing from different printers in order to test the printers' validity on the issue.

There is no ****ing way I am upgrading from FD8 to FD9. No ****ing way.

Hope you find the margins above useful.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Last edited by spacefarer : 03-09-2014 at 06:11 PM.
spacefarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
ComicBent

Quote:
ComicBent had suggested the following:

Bottom: 0.88''
Header/Footer: 0.38''
The reason I use 0.88" for the bottom margin is that this slightly smaller margin setting works better for giving you a real margin of 1" at the bottom. If you set the bottom margin at 1", the last line tends to wrap to the next page and you end up with a bottom margin of 1.2" or something like that.

I do the same thing with Word.