Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Hip Pocket to Representatiom

A pilot I write got some attention this year by a HUGE management company. A close friend of mine got it to the head of the management company and she became my partner by proxy even though I do all the writing. We were assigned a manager and were soon off taking meetings and shaking hands w/CAA & Amazon amoung others. In an email (before the option contract was signed) I was promised to be sent out on writing jobs as well. That soon never happened with the explanation that I was to be "available" if my show ever got picked up. I agreed and waited tables as my pilot made the rounds. Well, unfortunately nobody bit and our option is up. I doubt they will re-negotiate for another year to keep the pilot but I really want to write and be represented by this firm. What is the best way to negotiate for a person in my position. I'm having a meeting with my partner about this as well. I really want to write and don't want to this opertunity to slip from me.

Re: From Hip Pocket to Representatiom

Originally posted by Canterbury25 View Post
    A pilot I write got some attention this year by a HUGE management company. A close friend of mine got it to the head of the management company and she became my partner by proxy even though I do all the writing. We were assigned a manager and were soon off taking meetings and shaking hands w/CAA & Amazon amoung others. In an email (before the option contract was signed) I was promised to be sent out on writing jobs as well. That soon never happened with the explanation that I was to be "available" if my show ever got picked up. I agreed and waited tables as my pilot made the rounds. Well, unfortunately nobody bit and our option is up. I doubt they will re-negotiate for another year to keep the pilot but I really want to write and be represented by this firm. What is the best way to negotiate for a person in my position. I'm having a meeting with my partner about this as well. I really want to write and don't want to this opertunity to slip from me.
    There's no negotiation involved. You'd know if they wanted to rep you or not by their communication with you. If they are not communicating, that's your answer. If you're still not sure, an email to ask them if they're still interested in repping you would be the best way. But if the option on your pilot is already up and you haven't heard anything there's not going to be any negotiating there either. They are done with it. Sorry for the blunt answer but that's the way this kind of thing works. If they wanted you, you'd already know it. I wish you the best and I hope you get to write.

Comment

Have you shred other material with them beyond the first pilot?

Comment

I had given them a second script that I actually pitched at a general meeting. The production company was interested but the manager was not behind it as much as the original pilot. I've been hip pocketed by this management company during the duration of my option (a year). I've also worked with another producer at Sony. Another pilot I wrote made top 5 at the Austin Film Fest and a feature top 100 for the Nicholl. This surely should be enough to get a manager, shouldn't it?

Comment

Another pilot I wrote made top 5 at the Austin Film Fest and a feature top 100 for the Nicholl. This surely should be enough to get a manager, shouldn't it?
          Given your experience thus far, apparently not

Comment

Why do you want to be represented by a company that said they would send you out for jobs when they were trying to sign you but then never did?

What they did sounds awful. You don't keep someone on the shelf in case one of their projects might go. Heck, I know writers who are out there pitching three, four projects a year. You can not put all your eggs in one basket and the fact that they wanted you to is horrible.

You deal with the issue of having more work than you know how to deal with when you have more work than you know how to deal with. Not when you have a project that "might" go.

Another pilot I wrote made top 5 at the Austin Film Fest and a feature top 100 for the Nicholl. This surely should be enough to get a manager, shouldn't it?
            While it's true that sometimes rep grab a young writer without a track record based on a contest result even when the script itself isn't terribly commercial (speaking from experience here) the simple truth is this: a rep is going to want to take you on because they see a project that they can make money with.

If, having worked with you on this project, and read your other material, this company isn't coming to you trying to rep you then they don't want to rep you.

Given that they have treated you poorly, I'd encourage you to not want to be repped by them, too.

Comment

Find someone who wants you. You shouldn't have to ask or beg. Take your contest results and go do some querying before the holidays.
              Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                Find someone who wants you. You shouldn't have to ask or beg. Take your contest results and go do some querying before the holidays.
                This. Never beg. Ever.

Comment

OP - if you've made it there once, there's no reason to think you can't make it again. It seems that way sometimes, but even for seasoned professionals, coming up with something amazing takes time and constant effort. Write something amazing and the rep thing will work itself out.

Comment

It's also a little shady that your "writing partner" never actually wrote a word. I am assuming this assistant that got you in ended up getting 50% of your option?
                    Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

The more I read about this stuff the more it disappoints me. I know there are some great reps out there doing fantastic work with their clients but clearly there are also some terrible ones who have no interest in the artist only the product. Personally I think the OP should name and shame these guys so that other baby writers don't get burned by the same brush.

Comment

Yeah, I'm aware that I'm being beaten about but this company is HUGE and my partner is friends with the owner. I want to at least try before I move elsewhere.

Comment

Yeah, I'm aware that I'm being beaten about but this company is HUGE and my partner is friends with the owner. I want to at least try before I move elsewhere.
                          If the company is awesome AND your partner is friends with the owner, why do you think they're not coming through for you?

Comment

Try what exactly? Try to convince them to sign you when they obviously don't want to?

Let's say somehow you sway them and they sign you. You think the real reason is because they're excited about working with you? They might be throwing you a bone because your partner is friends with the owner. Or they just want to get you off their back.

So you can say you're signed with them. You feel good for a week. Then you don't hear from them. You send them an email and no reply. Then a text. Then a phone call. Finally they send you an email back with a "sorry, we're so overloaded right now, write back in a week."

And on and on it goes.

Is this what you really want? Or do you want someone who is emailing and calling you, excited to work with you? Someone who is your corner and will fight for you?

Your writing was good enough to attract the attention of this company, it will attract the attention of another.

Comment

What Slupo said.

IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW BIG THE COMPANY THAT REPS YOU IS.

This is one of the biggest mistakes that young writers make. I made it myself. It's hard to not get excited about a big name. But if they are not going to work and hustle for you, they are going to do you no good at all.

Yes, there are some companies who can get your script read faster than other companies. Yes, there are some companies who have some packaging juice. But if they are not EXCITED about putting these resources to work for you, you are wasting your time with them.

These people don't want to rep you. They've read your work, they've met you, and they still don't want to rep you. Why do you think there are some magic words you can say that will change their mind?

Comment

Working...
                              X