No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black List Sneak Peak

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
    Well at least I still have my exclusive right to view my own socks.

If I catch any one of you taking even a peek at just one of them, so help me...

Sad times we live in, when reading is now a crime.

No wonder why there are so many morons out there. Hell, they are Fox's target audience!
    Yes, it's an inexcusable violation of YOUR liberties that you can't read somebody else's work whenever you want, regardless of whether they want you to or it might actually hurt them.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalScribe View Post
      From the Copyright Office:

Fox did lose something. Their exclusive right of reproduction and/or distribution. When you take it upon yourself to acquire (or distribute) someone else's copyrighted work without permission, you're depriving them of the rights granted to them as owners of intellectual property. Just because there's more than one digital copy and they've still got it on file on their server doesn't give you (or anyone other than Fox) the right to reproduce or distribute that work without Fox's permission.
      A lot of folks have and may lose something:

--Limama may lose EVERYTHING, including her reputation.
      --Students of film may have lost the opportunity to read great scripts.
      --Hollywood lost the opportunity of non-incestuous, open & honest script analysis from the public.
      --Hollywood also lost the opportunity to promote up & coming writers, like those mentioned in the black list. Who's going to celebrate a writer they can't read?
      --Pro writer writing blogs may as well pack it up. What is the purpose if discussing great writing if you can't "show it"?
      --Boards like these will be censored in its discussion of scripts, which should eliminate a huge purpose for the boards in the first place.
      --Any links, reproductions, excerpts taken from any internet content can be fair game for a law suit, which "hurt" those who write content for the internet in general.
      --Any executive/manager/agent with deep pockets is also fair game for lawsuits when "trading" scripts--not an activity limited to the plebs, for sure.

Today, I had to request permission to link & include excerpts from an article even though I'm helping to promote their work. How many other blogs will even bother to promote good causes and share important information?

No doubt there's plenty more people to be affected and much more change to come. I wish someone would have thought of repercussions before taking this action, and those who defend it should have had enough time to think beyond their noses and ponder the ramifications also.
      Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
        They lose the right to determine at what point and in what fashion the material which they own is consumed.

What is so hard to understand about that?

I took a script out last year. Someone linked to it on a file sharing site.

Other people read it.

It was the WRONG draft. Not current, and with incorrect information on the title page that could have caused problems. Of course, since it was not the version that the writer wanted to show the world then that was a pretty big potential problem too.

But, as far as you are concerned, no big deal, right, what was he "losing"?
        Sorry, but I didn't give you permission to read my post, or look at my socks. Don't think I didn't know that was you under the table earlier. You have violated my rights. I'm going to throw a hissy fit now and cry for a lolli-pop.

Seriously, this is nothing but nonsense. We have lost an invaluable educational resource because Fox is throwing a hissy fit and demanding their lolli-pop. It's the lowest form of corporate slime-ball bullshit cowardice that has ever existed, and it's sad.

Sure, it's "the law", but laws change.

Apparently, learning and bettering yourself and your craft is now illegal...

Comment

Your post is under Done Deal Pro's copyright, actually.
          QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Does anyone else find it odd Fox is the one crying foul this year and one of the scripts is about Rupert Murdoch?

it's a conspiracy, a c-o-n...spiracy.

Comment

Well at least I still have my exclusive right to view my own socks.

If I catch any one of you taking even a peek at just one of them, so help me...

Sad times we live in, when reading is now a crime.

No wonder why there are so many morons out there. Hell, they are Fox's target audience!

It's not the act that's the crime... it's how the material being read is acquired. Reading by itself is not a crime anymore than owning a toaster by itself is a crime. But if I'm in possession a toaster that's been stolen from its rightful owner, that IS a crime. Same with a screenplay, manuscript, legal contract, or any other written work that belongs to someone else.

Shouldn't we as writers be in support of this? I'm not saying we all have to rigidly lock down all our material like Fox did... but shouldn't you have the choice? Shouldn't you be allowed to decide for yourself who and how people can read your work? Even if it's your choice to post it on a website for everyone to read and download... shouldn't it be your choice to do that rather than someone else's? Someone who doesn't know you but just decided on your behalf that everyone should be allowed to read whatever version of your script they came across?

Comment

Socks are a terrible metaphor for screenplays.
                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Shouldn't we as writers be in support of this? I'm not saying we all have to rigidly lock down all our material like Fox did... but shouldn't you have the choice? Shouldn't you be allowed to decide for yourself who and how people can read your work? Even if it's your choice to post it on a website for everyone to read and download... shouldn't it be your choice to do that rather than someone else's? Someone who doesn't know you but just decided on your behalf that everyone should be allowed to read whatever version of your script they came across?
                  I understand your point, and I agree with it for the most part, but I am not in favor of anything that prohibits the screenwriting learning process.

Comment

I understand your point, and I agree with it for the most part, but I am not in favor of anything that prohibits the screenwriting learning process.
                    I get it, you serve a higher law. Sort of like putting the bible or Sharia law above the laws of the United States of America.

Comment

Originally posted by umo View Post
                      A lot of folks have and may lose something:

--Limama may lose EVERYTHING, including her reputation.
                      --Students of film may have lost the opportunity to read great scripts.
                      --Hollywood lost the opportunity of non-incestuous, open & honest script analysis from the public.
                      --Hollywood also lost the opportunity to promote up & coming writers, like those mentioned in the black list. Who's going to celebrate a writer they can't read?
                      --Pro writer writing blogs may as well pack it up. What is the purpose if discussing great writing if you can't "show it"?
                      --Boards like these will be censored in its discussion of scripts, which should eliminate a huge purpose for the boards in the first place.
                      --Any links, reproductions, excerpts taken from any internet content can be fair game for a law suit, which "hurt" those who write content for the internet in general.
                      --Any executive/manager/agent with deep pockets is also fair game for lawsuits when "trading" scripts--not an activity limited to the plebs, for sure.

Today, I had to request permission to link & include excerpts from an article even though I'm helping to promote their work. How many other blogs will even bother to promote good causes and share important information?

No doubt there's plenty more people to be affected and much more change to come. I wish someone would have thought of repercussions before taking this action, and those who defend it should have had enough time to think beyond their noses and ponder the ramifications also.
                      So you're saying there's no legal way to obtain and read screenplays? Have you ever purchased a screenplay? I have. It's possible.

And, I have to ask, how on earth did people learn to write screenplays before the existence of the internet and file sharing? Those movies from the twenties through the late nineties must all have been terrible because of the lack of access to unproduced scripts.

Comment

I get it, you serve a higher law. Sort of like putting the bible or Sharia law above the laws of the United States of America.
                        No, it's like putting science above faith.

What you know for fact should always come before what you're told.

And, I have to ask, how on earth did people learn to write screenplays before the existence of the internet and file sharing?
                        Beats me. I don't ride a rickshaw to work.

Get with the times.

Comment

So you're saying there's no legal way to obtain and read screenplays? Have you ever purchased a screenplay? I have. It's possible.

And, I have to ask, how on earth did people learn to write screenplays before the existence of the internet and file sharing? Those movies from the twenties through the late nineties must all have been terrible because of the lack of access to unproduced scripts.
                          How on earth did your grandpa heat up his Hot Pockets before the invention of the microwave?

We're discussing today's environment--which is the cause of today's corporate hysteria and resulting lawsuit.

The original intent of copyright laws was to protect writers from plagiarism.
                          And the purpose of writing is to be read.

Any writer who does not want to be read should consider another profession.

Which means that now, your writers can't be celebrated and promoted as in the past, because their work cannot be read unless authorized by the copyrightholder--which should take a while, which by then, they're old news.

As far as the legality of reading or purchasing screenplays in the future, you don't know what will be available. Neither to do I. The environment is changing as we speak... about socks.
                          Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Believe me, I'm all about the learning process and encouraging education. I do think that Fox - although legally entitled to do so - is taking it a bit far to prove a point or make a statement.

But I also have to ask myself what I would do in that situation. I wouldn't want some stranger handing my work out without permission, even though I would probably give it to them if they asked. It's the consideration I'd want... respect enough for my work to ask if it's okay to read it, rather than assume that passing it around to anyone and everyone is okay. Especially since that would give me the opportunity to make sure I was sending something I was happy with... the best version, make sure it has my contact info on it, etc.

And since that's how I feel about my own work, I can't justifiably say that anyone else (even a studio) shouldn't be entitled to that same consideration.

I'm all for the learning process, and anything that can help a writer improve his craft is a good thing. But I'm more in favor of upholding the law and recognizing the rights to which an owner of a creative work is entitled. If given the choice, I'd prefer to recognize someone's legal rights. There are, after all, plenty of other screenplays to read, and plenty of people willing to share them.

Just check out Amazon Studios...

Comment

Believe me, I'm all about the learning process and encouraging education. I do think that Fox - although legally entitled to do so - is taking it a bit far to prove a point or make a statement.
                              I think this is something we can all agree on.

Comment

Originally posted by umo View Post
                                Which means that now, your writers can't be celebrated and promoted as in the past, because their work cannot be read unless authorized by the copyrightholder--which should take a while, which by then, they're old news.
                                The only people a studio needs to worry about reading a screenplay are the cast and crew of the film, who they (in most cases) eagerly authorize to read it. Problem solved.

If you're in screenwriting to get read by anyone else, you might have misunderstood the concept.

Comment

Working...
                                X