• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Is Dead.

So to speak.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Re: Film Is Dead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Knew this would happen in my lifetime, but so soon?
      Anyway, this is somewhat good news for independent filmmakers.
      (At the moment) I prefer a 35mm panavision film print but hey... embrace the change.
      Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 10-16-2011, 09:30 PM.
      INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
      Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_FIN View Post
        There will always be used film cameras, people to service them and new film stock. But finally! Digital > film. YEAH!
        I dunno...we've become good at dropping a technology cold when something shinier pops up. Won't be long before any director that demands to shoot on film will be looked at like he's an asshole.

But hopefully not before digiheads can nail the film look. They might get lazy and leave as is. And not many people would notice.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Film: The UnDead Medium

The manufacturers simply don't have a viable market for new motion picture "film" cameras. There's a lot of used equipment for rent and for sale, and film cameras can do some things that simply cannot be done by digital cameras. When HD cameras offer savings over the purchase of filmstock and its transfer to a digital intermediate for editing, film cameras aren't the preferred recording device.

I'd not abandon my Bolex, Eyemo, Eclair NPR, and Photo-Sonics cameras, just because Hollywood production companies would prefer to buy a Red camera instead of a new Aaton film camera. Rather, I'd like the best of both recording mediums, (analog film and HD digital), as each has its own advantages.

Wouldn't think of mounting a film camera onto an electric UAV to shoot something like this, (or this); but, an old Bolex converted to Super-16 can capture the same resolution for a fraction of the cost of a Red camera. That's why old Eyemos are often used as "crash" cameras, (relatively cheap and easy to replace), rather than risk any damage to a new 35mm or HD camera.
          JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Film: The UnDead Medium

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yep!

Previously, the main difference between film and digital was resolution and dynamic range. But 4K cameras and cameras like the ARRI ALEXA, which has an amazing 14 stop latitude, has bridged that gap. They also have incredible lowlight handling capabilities.

Sony's affordable (almost prosumer level) S35 cameras like the F3 approximates to 13 stops with its S-LOG upgrade. The new RED EPIC (available now) is 5K resolution.

The picture quality from these cameras are amazing, coupled with the streamlined workflow, makes them a preferred choice for most emerging filmmakers.

Comment

It is another example where advancements in technology have f-d up the economy. An old school technology, film, had a substantial infrastructure of ancillary jobs related to handling, processing, and color correction etc, and now that the technology is "obsolete", those jobs are lost or will be lost. I haven't done a job loss comparison, but I'm guessing there are more jobs with celluloid than without, so my guess is that more jobs have been irreplaceably lost.

You can argue that advancements in technology create jobs, but I say that there is a diminishing return. The faster a technology becomes efficient, the quicker jobs are lost.
                #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Re: Film: The UnDead Medium

Originally posted by AJ_FIN View Post
                  Drive was shot on Arri Alexa. End of thread.
                  Exactly, and it feels artificial. End of thread.

I used an Alexa for a commercial, and even if it's way better than the Red One ,the Epic, and the GV Viper, you can still feel it's not film. It kinda looks like it, but the feeling is different.

Like Fort' said, it will depends on the director's needs . Some will prefer Num (like Mann, Fincher, etc...) some will prefer Film.

Luckily, european cinema isn't ruled by the market.
                  The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Just saw a doc on YouTube that I swore was shot on film.

It was shot on a Nikon D5000 SLR. Video has come such a long way.
                    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                    -Maya Angelou

Comment

Comment

Wait. I thought Paul was dead. No, that was God. No, not quite right, either...irony? Isn't that dead? Funny how these dead things continue to exist.

Except for God. I killed that mother******.

HH

Comment

Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I don't care what the hell it's shot on as long as it's awesome.

Comment

"THIS is why film is still SUPERIOR to ANYTHING!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1m5Q09eEqY

Director Abel Gance was worried that the film's finale wouldn't have the proper impact by being confined to a small screen. Gance thought of expanding the frame by using three cameras next to each other. For the first time, cinema utilized a rectangular image (with an approximate 4.00 : 1 aspect ratio). This is probably the most famous of the film's several innovative techniques. Though American filmmakers began experimenting with 70 mm widescreen in 1929, widescreen didn't take off until CinemaScope was invented in 1953. ~ IMDb
                              JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Working...
                              X