Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New screenwriter turned producer

I wrote a feature film for a producer who has decided to bump me into a producer position, thanks to my various connections and because his producing partner dropped out.

The producer wants me to send a "typical" producer's agreement for him to sign. I was wondering if any of you happened to have a template for a producer's agreement, or would know what one would need to entail.

Thanks!

Re: New screenwriter turned producer

You'll find a link to some samples on this site although they really apply primarily to writers' roles. However most people would advise that you have an entertainment attorney scrutinize any contract before you sign it, even if it's a 'standard' contract. Don't think of this as being confrontational, think of it as being professional. The devil is in the detail and as with any contract it's not just about your benefits but also about your obligations and liabilities.
    "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION: Because the producer expects this film to be a $18-20mil budget, how much should I expect to be paid as an associate/co-producer? Or what back-end percentage could I be eligible for?

Comment

This makes no sense. No one hires someone and asks them to provide their own contract.

Comment

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
          This makes no sense. No one hires someone and asks them to provide their own contract.
          Bingo.

Comment

Let me guess -- He didn't "actually" pay for the script and instead offered you a co-producer credit and in that same breath discussed back-end money?
            If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
            Dave Barry

Comment

So you have the script and various connections, plus are expected to provide contracts and work out administrative details? What does he do? Do you know why his partner left?

I hope it's a better situation than it sounds like. But there are so many ways writers and others are asked to work for free:
              http://on.fb.me/XefxPY

Comment

Not exactly, Centurio, but not too far off...

My writer's agreement said I'd get $20,000 upon the first day of preproduction, another $20,000 upon the first day of principal photography, and 1% of the back-end. This was before signing on as a producer was ever even mentioned as a possibility.

I know it sounds like I got screwed. Truth is, in retrospect, I think so too. My "new writer" status got taken advantage of and I was given so many assurances regarding the future success of this film, much of which ended up having little substantiation in fact.

But there is some glimmer of hope. I confirmed that our executive producers -- two monoliths of industry, including an executive as Lionsgate -- are in fact still attached to this project and have an interest in seeing it get made. So at least I haven't been misled in that regard. That gives me hope that lining up the right people could move this thing along.

The producer I'm working with managed to get our shooting locations in New Zealand locked... so I guess that's what he does, Canela :P He claimed his partner left to "explore new opportunities." But, much to my dismay, I randomly connected with one of the producer's interns on LinkedIn, and she didn't have any kind words to say about him. That was a big red flag for me, which spurred me on to investigate the legitimacy of the producer and this project. This is a dude with real credits who has worked the industry for 30 years, so I originally walked into a deferred deal pretty securely. I think the producer caught on to the fact that I was on his tail, so to speak, and that's how the talk of my taking a producing credit came about.

The producer and I didn't yet discuss how much I'd get paid as a co-producer, so that's another question I'll have to toss at him.

Comment

He locked locations on a movie that isn't funded? Dude, it's a scam. Stop wasting your time.

Comment

I told him I wouldn't begin doing co-producer work for him unless he can deliver to me a budget and any kind of paperwork that substantiates his claim about working with NZ. He said he'll get that paperwork from his folks at NZ... I wish him all the best

Comment

Originally posted by cjj2006 View Post
                      Not exactly, Centurio, but not too far off...

My writer's agreement said I'd get $20,000 upon the first day of preproduction, another $20,000 upon the first day of principal photography, and 1% of the back-end. This was before signing on as a producer was ever even mentioned as a possibility.

I know it sounds like I got screwed. Truth is, in retrospect, I think so too. My "new writer" status got taken advantage of and I was given so many assurances regarding the future success of this film, much of which ended up having little substantiation in fact.

But there is some glimmer of hope. I confirmed that our executive producers -- two monoliths of industry, including an executive as Lionsgate -- are in fact still attached to this project and have an interest in seeing it get made. So at least I haven't been misled in that regard. That gives me hope that lining up the right people could move this thing along.

The producer I'm working with managed to get our shooting locations in New Zealand locked... so I guess that's what he does, Canela :P He claimed his partner left to "explore new opportunities." But, much to my dismay, I randomly connected with one of the producer's interns on LinkedIn, and she didn't have any kind words to say about him. That was a big red flag for me, which spurred me on to investigate the legitimacy of the producer and this project. This is a dude with real credits who has worked the industry for 30 years, so I originally walked into a deferred deal pretty securely. I think the producer caught on to the fact that I was on his tail, so to speak, and that's how the talk of my taking a producing credit came about.

The producer and I didn't yet discuss how much I'd get paid as a co-producer, so that's another question I'll have to toss at him.
                      The only thing missing is the Nigerian Prince. You admit the guy's lied to you and taken advantage of your lack of experience. I don't know what else you need to hear. Bumping you to a faux producer role only makes you tread water to figure out what you're doing and puts you further down the line to ask for money. If you say to him, hey, since securing locations is part of preproduction, it's time to pay the writer $20,000, I bet he will just disappear into happy hour somewhere on Sunset to rebait his hook.

Comment

This all sounds very wrong. I know some legit producers who have worked in New Zealand on large projects - feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
                        "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Thanks, DavidK. I may just take you up on that soon...

Comment

Originally posted by canela View Post
                            The only thing missing is the Nigerian Prince. You admit the guy's lied to you and taken advantage of your lack of experience. I don't know what else you need to hear. Bumping you to a faux producer role only makes you tread water to figure out what you're doing and puts you further down the line to ask for money. If you say to him, hey, since securing locations is part of preproduction, it's time to pay the writer $20,000, I bet he will just disappear into happy hour somewhere on Sunset to rebait his hook.
                            Bingo.

Comment

Working...
                            X