Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rom-com... how to write "that look?"

In a rom-com film, you have this common scenario: the guy's a jerk and the girl knows that when they first meet. But later in the film, the jerk does a nice thing and the girl looks at him with "that look- that tells us that she's thinking that "wow, did he really do something nice?- and it's the first hint of romantic things to come. Then later, the jerk does another nice, cutesy thing and the girl gives him "that look- again that says, "hey, maybe I've been wrong about him- and her romantic feelings intensifies.

Haylie Duff did a great job showing us "this look- in her Hallmark film, Christmas Mix, but I can't find the script anywhere.

Any ideas how I can write "that look- in my script or do I have to resort to using the long winded, "She gives him 'that look' that tells us that she's thinking 'wow, did he really do something nice?' -

Thanks.

Re: Rom-com... how to write "that look?"

This change (look) was seen super clearly in Groundhog Day. That arc was super clear cuz the guy was such a jerk early on, but it might be useful to glance at since you see her react over and over in incrementally changing ways.

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
      Any ideas how I can write "that look- in my script or do I have to resort to using the long winded, "She gives him 'that look' that tells us that she's thinking 'wow, did he really do something nice?' -
      I don't think there's anything wrong with writing it just like that, it explains what you mean well enough.

Sally does a double take, wow did the jerk just do something nice?

...or any other variant.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
        Sally does a double take, wow did the jerk just do something nice?
        I think it's more a matter of set-up. The line "Sally does a double take; wow did the jerk just do something nice?- can be as early as the very first scene because the action and set-up are together.

But if the screenwriter has the opportunity to set-up the action in a succession of scenes (the jerk doing un-nice things) all that may be needed is "Sally does a double take.- when the jerk does something nice.

Trust the actor/reader to get it.

But, of course, do what you need to do.
        "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
        - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Thanks guys, all good ideas.

And re: "Trust the actor/reader to get it."

I admit sometimes I don't put enough trust in the actor/reader. Shame on me.

Comment

Change of subject: I’m just curious. Where in the story does the jerk do something nice?

At almost exactly the midpoint in the movie Midnight Run, Jack Walsh (De Niro) opens the car door for Jonathan Mardukas (Grodin).

There's no right answer. There are a few reasons why it would happen at midpoint, and many more valid reasons why it would not. Just wondering.
            - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
              Trust the actor/reader to get it.
              Nuh-uh! Unknown quantities. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to trust 'em. But I don't even know if they're awake and paying attention. I'd rather offer that extra little half-line to clarify exactly what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                ... But I don't even know if they're awake and paying attention. ...
                TwoBrad does a double take.
                - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

TwoBrad: I'm having the jerk do two nice things before the midpoint to endear himself to the girl so that it sets up the midpoint where the couple have their first real kiss.

dpaterso: My cautious nature agrees with you... I'm planning to insert a few words to make it obvious that the girl is surprised at the jerk's nice gesture. I had originally thought there was a word that conveys this look since it's so common but evidently it'll take a small phrase like you suggested.

Comment

Just felt compelled to throw this out there...

Around minute 56 of a recent Scriptnotes podcast, John and Craig discuss Rom-Com tropes and "stalking behavior."

http://johnaugust.com/2016/english-is-not-latin-2

I have no idea what direction your screenplay goes in, but as a woman, I found their discussion and linked articles interesting.

Comment

Working...
                    X