X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Done Deal Pro Site

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

Two words: Bad Feedback.

Bad feedback can destroy a writer's confidence when they're positioned at the start of their learning curve and unable to identify bad feedback when they see it.

We already have a logline section where people provide suggestions, why turn it into a contest? What's the value in that other than putting you in charge of a new forum?
    Bad feedback could influence a newbie to change a strong logline, or script into a weak one, where it ends up not the premise he originally had the passion for, but realistically, a newbie has to grow and learn.

He has to get out there either on a site like this, or a writing group. To give and receive feedback in order to toughen his skin and to train his analysis' muscles: his eye to detect problems, his articulation skills to communicate these problems and suggested solutions, to gain knowledge on the craft from giving and receiving feedback, etc.

In this particular logline event, which looks like nobody's interested in, there's not to be suggestions on improving the logline. There would just be a score where the "value," which I mentioned more than once, is that a writer can gage how strong his logline is perceived.

Another value is that the winner gets feedback on a screenplay of his choice.

Also, if you're worried about a bad score affecting a newbie's confidence, I already had taken this into consideration, where in an earlier post, I mentioned that only the board name of the winning logline would be posted.

A non-winning writer has the choice to mention which logline and score is his.

As for me being in charge, I knew this would turn off a lot of members, so in an earlier post, I did ask for a volunteer to handle the logline entries and compute the scores, but no one's interested.
    Last edited by JoeNYC; 07-07-2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

On this:

Another value is that the winner gets feedback on a screenplay of his choice.
      And who will provide said screenplay feedback?
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

If you want to support DD, pay the $30 a year to become a member. I recently rejoined after doing it for what I think was 10 years or more... it's a very helpful tool and helps keep the forums open which is the most important tool for a lot of us here.

Also tell you buddies on twitter to come on over. In real life.

If you want to have a logline contest query reps with your great logline and hope you get a read. I've said it many times but to me that is the main contest most of us should be entering.

I love rating loglines though, that's why I wish the logline section was more active too. But people on here aren't going to be 100% honest all the time in a public forum and what happens when the person in charge of the contest who also entered their logline gets their logline torn to shreds? They may lose confidence themselves and just stop running the thing. It's hard to be running and participating in the contest. Any contest.

I've pissed off many other writers in my day and I was honestly just trying to help them. I said "do you want honest feedback" or do you "want me to tell you it's great." They al said honest. 99% of them were lying and they wanted me to tell them it was great.

Anyway, good idea in theory, but I don't think it's going to work with such few active members who are really into this idea.

Comment

And who will provide said screenplay feedback?
          I'm afraid to tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            If you want to have a logline contest query reps with your great logline and hope you get a read. I've said it many times but to me that is the main contest most of us should be entering.
            I agree. This would be the ultimate contest. To have your material connect with an industry person.

I'm just saying, it could be smart to gage how weak or strong your logline is perceived with this exercise.

If a writer's logline receives a weak score, then a member could take it to the Logline forum, or friends, to see exactly what details and elements are causing it to be weak and improve it, or he may realize this isn't the concept that he should spend a year writing.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
              I'm afraid to tell you.
              I have my suspicions. Will the contest winner be allowed to know who will be reading "his" completed script? Or will you have some sort of MysteryReader thing going on?

Look -- if you can get one of the pro readers with stickys on this forum to volunteer to read the winner's script it would have some value. Other than that, notes from a non pro? Um, no. Many here already have and continue to do this for each other behind the scenes.
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

if you can get one of the pro readers with stickys on this forum to volunteer to read the winner's script it would have some value.
                sc111, if you're gonna enter a logline, then I have no problem paying for the prize, affordable feedback, out of my own pocket.

Comment

Think I might regret this...

Joe, why are you so determined to do this? I mean, I sort of get it. You think this will be helpful in some way to somebody. That's awesome. But what is the ultimate goal here? What are you trying to achieve? What do you get out of it? What does the winner get? Is this really a path to helping someone further their goals, or is it just a small bit of validation to boost that writer's confidence? And is a logline contest really the best path forward? Is there another way forward to whatever your ultimate goal may be?

Admittedly I haven't read this entire thread, though I'm certain it's quite entertaining. So forgive me if these questions have already been answered. But I see you're incredibly, um, passionate about this idea. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the endgame.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                    what is the ultimate goal here? What are you trying to achieve?
                    The original post, with its first paragraph, expressed what I was looking to achieve.

I was looking for a way to add members, retain members and boost activity. So, I suggested to have the Logline and Script Pages' forum set to be seen, not hidden, but stay private, where it's required to register and log in to view and post. I felt these forums might be important to some writers where they would become members to partake.

The contests' idea, best logline and best opening page, was an effort to focus more attention on these underused forums to stimulate more activity.

The overall goal was to achieve more activity for the LOGLINE forum, SCRIPT PAGES forum and the general site.

Simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                    X