After read request, how long does it take?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After read request, how long does it take?

Once you've got a read request (and submitted material), any experience on a timeline for getting a call (assuming, of course, they like it)? Weeks? Months?
    "Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December; And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor--"

Re: After read request, how long does it take?

Somewhere between a weekend and never. One or two polite "just checking in to see if you've had a chance to read" emails are fine. After that, move on.

Comment

i have waited a couple of weeks. about three. then if they say they haven't read it, i'll follow up in another three to four.

if it's a manager, remember they have clients that they serve first. put yourself in their shoes, if they were your manager would you want them reading your new script or that of a prospect.

and if it's a producer keep in mind that they can be in production.

people want to find new material, and if they've requested your script to read, then they are looking forward to you being that one that will capture their heart and their imagination.

set a time table for when you want to follow up and be gracious and understanding when you do.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
        and if it's a producer keep in mind that they can be in production.
        Pardon my naivete - one can query a producer directly with their work? I was under the impression that the wildly vast majority of producers won't touch "unsolicited material" with a ten-foot pole - at least without a rights release?

Comment

Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
          Pardon my naivete - one can query a producer directly with their work? I was under the impression that the wildly vast majority of producers won't touch "unsolicited material" with a ten-foot pole - at least without a rights release?
          The question was After a Read Request. So they queried a logline and got a request for the script. No one reads unsolicited material.

Comment

Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
            yes, you can email a producer. you may not get through some of the big ones, but a lot of the managers are manager/producers.

some writers don't even have a manager and solely work with producers directly.

send it to anyone you think might be interested. what have you got to lose? all they can say is, "no," and you're already prepared for that.

as the writer, it's your job to do everything possible to get your work out there. all they can do is say no or yes.

good luck.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Don't follow up. If they like it they will contact you.

Comment

I once had a prodco. get back to me a YEAR later, haha.

Comment

Me too, more than once over a year later, and they were decent responses, too (though passes). I'm talking both read responses, and even responses to QUERIES!

InkTip does this a lot, when you respond to their Preferred Newsletter. Months and months later you get the "Thanks for your query. This isn't quite what I am looking for. Good luck with your writing" reply. At least they respond. Over half of the read requests I've obtained from paid-service VPF have NEVER responded, even after follow-ups.

That's why you have to just "send and forget" queries, and "send and follow-up only once" for requested reads. Getting a read request may seem like a big thing for us, but it simply isn't, for these guys. Don't take it personally. Move on to the next million and a half producers/reps with your queries.

Comment

Remember that I'm the guy with the tracking database that counts the days?

For your morning (or afternoon or evening) laff, here's my top ten (read requests):

Company Name Days Since
                    Heavy Duty Entertainment 3208
                    Boz Productions 3206
                    Craig Anderson Productions 3205
                    Rhodes Ent. / Persistent Ent. 3135
                    Mike the Pike Productions 3054
                    Phoenix Pictures 3051
                    Camelot Entertainment Group 3033
                    Zero Gravity 3011
                    Motion Theory 2996
                    Smart Entertainment 2982

And don't get me wrong, these aren't necessarily bad guys. I still pitch a few of them on a regular basis. But the # shown is the actual number of days since I sent in a requested script...
                    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-20-2019, 05:19 AM. Reason: Tried to format table a little.

Comment

People that have optioned or bought scripts from me got back to me with a few days of sending it.

Comment

I have had calls anywhere from 1-6 weeks after submitting a requested script. One of my former managers called me 6 weeks after I submitted expressing interest, but then needed to pass the script to others at the firm. I waited another 6 weeks to learn they also liked it, then I waited 5 more weeks before sitting down with them and agreeing to sign.

That may be an outlier, but that's how it played out.

Comment

Prior to getting a manager I submitted something to a prodco. Never heard back as it was my first feature and had no expectations on it. This week, one year later, got a call and they want to attach to produce.

Comment

hey, yay!! congratulations, Satriales. here's to a favorable deal.

Comment

I've heard as fast as a couple of days and as long as a month, 3 months, 6 months, and in one case, a little over a year. It's their schedule, not ours.

Comment

Working...
                              X