If your manager doesn't like a particular script...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If your manager doesn't like a particular script...

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
    Yes, he is repped. Agent, no manager, I believe. He really did submit the script on his own to a producer in L.A. who was intrigued by the concept and asked for the script. So we'll see how that goes. The director is Canadian, btw.

Regarding my manager not being happy if I market the script on my own - good point and I get it, but my gut tells me she won't care. That said, I'm not going to tell her.

You've all given excellent feedback. And yes, why be a manager if you're not going to do your job? As I think about this, every "big- thing that has happened to me, as a screenwriter, has been the result of my own hustle.

Managers tend to be a touchy bunch. I've brought deals to my manager (despite them doing nothing), and instead of being happy, they're pissy that I went around them. On material they refused to do anything with. That someone now wants to pay us for. It's unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
      Managers tend to be a touchy bunch. I've brought deals to my manager (despite them doing nothing), and instead of being happy, they're pissy that I went around them. On material they refused to do anything with. That someone now wants to pay us for. It's unreal.
      This. Been there. It really is unbelievable. It's like, do you want to be happy for your client and collect 10% for doing literally nothing, or do you want to throw an ego-driven b*tch fit?

Comment

Maybe we should all revolt. See how they'd like having to get real jobs.

My apologizes to the reps on here who are actually doing what they're supposed to, but I'm "up to here" with the bs.

Comment

Maybe we should all revolt. See how they'd like having to get real jobs.

My apologizes to the reps on here who are actually doing what they're supposed to, but I'm "up to here" with the bs.

Out of curiosity where does your Manager enter into you creative process? Did you pitch the concept before you began working? Did you develop an outline or a one-page synopsis before taking it to script? I'm only asking because it sounds like her notes were pretty "headline". Like, they are things that should have been pointed out far earlier in the process than they were, unless she hadn't seen anything.
          Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
            Out of curiosity where does your Manager enter into you creative process? Did you pitch the concept before you began working? Did you develop an outline or a one-page synopsis before taking it to script? I'm only asking because it sounds like her notes were pretty "headline". Like, they are things that should have been pointed out far earlier in the process than they were, unless she hadn't seen anything.
            That's a good question. She's fairly new to "my party." We've been together just two or three months. Currently, she is shopping the script that my former manager, who quit the industry (don't ask), was pitching last year around this time.

She loves the script. And when she initially read it, she came back with what were more like copy edits, than actual notes. The script was pretty solid at that point as my former manager was really hands on and I learned a lot from him.

Anyway, aside from the edits, she had me cut a rather graphic sex scene. Not entirely, but she said the writing was great, but it was "too much" sexually. I'm still scratching my head over that as I felt it was integral to what my protagonist was going through. It certainly wasn't unprecedented. Maybe it was a ratings thing. I honestly don't know. Maybe that's on me and I need to push back more.

Another project, a fantasy/love story of sorts -- very quirky -- which I wrote with the input of my former manager, she also likes very much, but she want's me to make it a "bigger story," saying she "didn't know what to do with it" as is. I don't know what the hell that means. The story IS what the story IS. Not a big enough budget, I wager.

So I spin my wheels.

Comment

Another project, a fantasy/love story of sorts -- very quirky -- which I wrote with the input of my former manager, she also likes very much, but she want's me to make it a "bigger story," saying she "didn't know what to do with it" as is. I don't know what the hell that means. The story IS what the story IS. Not a big enough budget, I wager.

So I spin my wheels.
              This is one of my "favorite" notes. The "bigger story" one. Just spitballing -- could it mean she wants the story to have bigger stakes for the main character? Or do you think it's something else, like you mention budget?

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                This is one of my "favorite" notes. The "bigger story" one. Just spitballing -- could it mean she wants the story to have bigger stakes for the main character? Or do you think it's something else, like you mention budget?
                That note almost always means bigger emotional stakes for the character, not budget.
                https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                  That IS pretty unreal. How do you deal with that?

Comment

That IS pretty unreal. How do you deal with that?

I candidly told them I'm going to push material I believe in and if that's an issue, we should part ways. We parted ways about a month later.

Comment

Working...
                    X