Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gmail and text issues

I've reached old age. I used to know how to use my computer. I never knew why this is, but sometimes you get emails from certain people and instead of the text keeping in the same size of the box you have open (wrapping?) you have to scroll all the way to the right to read it. Like there are no margins.

I want it to look like this

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx

But emails I'm getting sometimes and sending out look like this

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

So is that a setting in gmail I'm doing wrong?

Email looks fine on iPhone (MAIL) app. Is it not looking like that on the other side or no way to know?

Mostly curious as when I send queries out, if they have to scroll, they won't scroll...

I never noticed this issue before from emails I sent out. Only ones I would get from certain friends and I assumed it was just a windows PC not liking MAC thing.

Re: Gmail and text issues

That topic appears to be a can of worms. If you want to make sure it wraps, then the best I can tell from the worms out there is you want to compose in plain text. Read this thread for some idea of what to try. It does appear to be a a gmail "feature" that pops up now and then.

https://support.google.com/mail/foru...il/hzl7ZErMj20

Comment

I cannot explain what is going on, because things in the computer universe stopped having explanations when Microsoft left DOS behind and went to Windows. Okay, end of that rant.

My recommendation:

I think that you should NOT use "Plain text" mode.

Make sure that "Plain text" is not ticked with a check mark.

So how do you find this option? In my Gmail, I start a new email or start a reply. I see a garbage can over at the very right of the composing window with a vertical-dots icon next to it. The icon is for some more options. Click it and you will see the "Plain text" option. Make sure it is unticked. I think you only have to make this choice one time, and it remains the same for future emails until you change it again, but I am not sure, since nothing is ever clear anymore in working with computers. (Sloppy design and poor communications skills are the problems. There may be another option somewhere.)

You really should not use plain text for your emails. That is primitive.

Just send the email and do not worry about it.

NOTE: Sometimes you just have to ignore a problem. I posted here on DDP for years with no problem, but now when I hit the RETURN key twice to double-space between paragraphs (the standard way of double-spacing), I get extra space between the paragraphs. The only way to avoid this is to use SHIFT+RETURN instead of RETURN alone. But, of course, I nearly always forget. So I usually just ignore the issue.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I cleared cache, tired again... I think it help. Sometimes I think, yeah stuff just happens because computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          I cleared cache, tired again... I think it help. Sometimes I think, yeah stuff just happens because computers.
          Or because: Google.

They can't stop screwing around with Gmail and their office suite in general.

My poor wife works at a place that pays for the business Google crap. It seems every two weeks they change everything and she has to spend hours re-educating herself how to use it again. And when I say "change", that includes eliminating features, she was using.

She keeps calendars for several people -- pretty complicated ones -- and it seems like every few weeks Google completely changes the way they work and trashes half the stuff she's done.

Never thought i'd have anything good to say about Microsoft Office, but as far as I can see, it beats the hell out of Google.

--End Rant--
          "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

I do prefer my MAIL app. And yes they love to change things when they work fine. I wish Apple would realize you used to have the best keyboards, but in your goal to make it super thin and remove all the ports that would be helpful and phone jacks -- the user experience has gone down the shitt-er.

I'm typing on a macbook air with the last good apple laptop keyboard. They claim they are changing keyboard again... bring back the iBook and plastic macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              I do prefer my MAIL app. And yes they love to change things when they work fine. I wish Apple would realize you used to have the best keyboards, but in your goal to make it super thin and remove all the ports that would be helpful and phone jacks -- the user experience has gone down the shitt-er.

I'm typing on a macbook air with the last good apple laptop keyboard. They claim they are changing keyboard again... bring back the iBook and plastic macbook.
              My MacBook Air is 2016 -- is yours the same age? I love the keyboard. I also have a MacBook Pro from 2010 I still use that has an awesome keyboard. I've had to replace the logic board, the hard drive twice and the battery three times but the thing still keeps ticking. The SSD drive makes it fast enough.

Comment

Working...
              X