Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
HulkBlood

Default Entertainment Lawyer Recommendations

First-timer needing an option agreement reviewed. Any recommendations? Anything to expect? Etc.

LA based

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
docgonzo

Default Re: Entertainment Lawyer Recommendations

Do you have an agent or manager? If so, ask them for a referral.

That's the only advice I can give. I wouldn't know what to do if you're not repped. Pay one hourly? That's probably not worth it.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
HulkBlood

I am repped by a management co. which also happens to be the production company seeking the option agreement as a way to establish chain of title to approach a financier. So looking for outside recommendations. Thanks.

Last edited by HulkBlood : 07-02-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
Satriales
Regular

Is this a zero dollar shopping agreement?
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
GucciGhostXXX

Same thought as docgonzo, and same question as Satriales. Having said that, I would aim for a $0 shopping agreement. Plain easier. Still exclusive.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
HulkBlood

It is an option agreement.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
HulkBlood

Anyone have an Entertainment Lawyer they would recommend? Would really love to discuss my options with them.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #8
Northbank
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkBlood View Post
I am repped by a management co. which also happens to be the production company seeking the option agreement as a way to establish chain of title to approach a financier.
This is completely bizarre and a red flag. Managers and producers submit to financiers every singe day without options. I've never heard of a manager optioning their own client's script in order to submit to a financier.
Northbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #9
finalact4

a few things to consider...

are they locking you into a "low" ceiling on the option agreement? and are you agreeing to multiple free rewrites? you don't have to answer these ?? simply posing the Qs, but if that's what you're looking at then that might be a good reason for them to do an option over a shopping agreement.

a shopping agreement is still exclusive, doesn't lock you into a sell price and can be as short as 6 months with an extension to 12 months for attaching talent if they lock in a financier. it can be a 12 month if you want. the point is that when you sign anything, you want to be sufficiently satisfied that the other party will prioritize your project, not back-burner it until the expiration date.

also, you can write in language that ties the auto-extension into some kind of performance based requirement that will keep them working on your behalf.

have you read the option and marked it up, yet? you should. before you send it to an entertainment lawyer. ask your questions if there is anything questionable or confusing, that will save your lawyer time when they receive it.

you probably already know this, but you can "strikeout" what you don't like.

do you have a DDP membership? look up sales of projects that have sold and look into a specific law firm. it should not be the same law firm that reps the prodco, imo. others may disagree.

decide if you can accept a lawyer on an hourly basis or if you need them to be commission based. be prepared to answer that question. tell the entertainment lawyer that you have an option agreement and you need to hire their services.

do your own research. it doesn't take that long. you're asking for a recommendation from people you don't know personally.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...orneys-1097287

make a list, then make the call.

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbank View Post
This is completely bizarre and a red flag. Managers and producers submit to financiers every singe day without options. I've never heard of a manager optioning their own client's script in order to submit to a financier.
Was about to chime in on this as well. Ditto what Northbank said. Very bizarre, and unheard of.

You mentioned they're doing this to establish chain of title. Did you develop this with them?
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote