Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Writer's Store/Insider 15 page Contest

I'm not entering, but the logline lends itself to a quirky script rather than an actiony one (that's not a criticism, I like quirk...)

I bet they get a ton more entries after the Disciple Program's success, but I wonder, would this logline (on its own) convince a rep to read the script if it wasn't part of this contest?

http://www.writersstore.com/industry...&rid=232788263

Re: latest writer's store/insider 15 page contest

Interesting question. Here's the logline: A New England matriarch with a week left to live pledges her fortune to whoever in her small town fulfills her dying wish.

I suppose there are dozens or hundreds of things which influence what a rep might be interested in. The logline conveys a story arc, a castable lead role, and lots of "Fun & Games" (as Blake Snyder would say), so it's got a lot going for it and could generate a read request (especially if the rep's mom knows somebody who knows somebody who has her hair done by the same hairdresser who does Shirley MacLaine's hair).

If this were a logline in the DD Logline Thread, I might chime in and suggest the logline convey a bit more. The "pledges her fortune" tells us something, but I'd personally try to increase the stakes with a twist of some sort (that she's faking her impending death because she's...bored to death (insert emoticon for really lousy pun), or just to fvck with the townsfolk, or...most of her fortune actually tanked with the rest of the economy...

Comment

Sounds like a reboot of The Westing Game.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

The logline doesn't do a thing for me. Neither does Shirley Maclaine's hairdresser.

HH

Comment

Hmm...I have notes for a script set in a small New England town, but with a dead matriarch...maybe I should revive her!

Comment

If you read the scripts that have made top 10 in the past (you can download from the website) then it seems that the logline they provide is more a rough guide than anything, some of the scripts that place have veered way off the basic premise. So if you have something with a dead matriarch it may not be a deal killer for them.

Comment

The original deadline was Sept 15, now the website shows Sept 30. I wonder if they are not getting as many entries as they hoped?

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
                The original deadline was Sept 15, now the website shows Sept 30. I wonder if they are not getting as many entries as they hoped?
                For me, the cost is a little steep .

But then, I've only got a budget left to enter one more competition this year. And that's Blue Cat.
                http://www.funminecraftservers.com/

Comment

I may do this after all, since I now have about two more weeks. Do any think that it might be a strike against a resulting script, if you base it on this log line, and then are not one of the finalists, but complete the script anyway?

I suppose there could be five hundred scripts suddenly looking for producers based on the same log line, after the contest is over.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                    Sounds like a reboot of The Westing Game.
                    One of my favorite books as a kid.
                    "Ray, next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!- - Ghostbusters

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuffin View Post
                      I may do this after all, since I now have about two more weeks. Do any think that it might be a strike against a resulting script, if you base it on this log line, and then are not one of the finalists, but complete the script anyway?

I suppose there could be five hundred scripts suddenly looking for producers based on the same log line, after the contest is over.
                      I'm entering. But I see your point. I was going to write a whole script even if I didn't make the finals. I guess I'll have to re-evaluate later.

Comment

Re: Latest Writer's Store/Insider 15 page Contest

I entered. Right now, I have no plans to finish the script if I am not a finalist; I just have too many other things in the works. But I will file my 15 pages away for later.

Comment

Originally posted by Guinea Pig View Post
                          For me, the cost is a little steep .

But then, I've only got a budget left to enter one more competition this year. And that's Blue Cat.
                          It should be trackingb.

Comment

I sent it in - I like what I came up with. Good luck, fellow entrants!

Comment

I'm in too, if my e-mail entry got delivered. Cut it pretty close to the wire with my entry. Like what I came up with, as well. Good luck, everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X