No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blockbuster Is Dead

The Blockbuster Is Dead,” from Scriptfella

It sounds like good news for writers of “contained” and indie-style features, and more so for writers of television, limited series, and streaming services.
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 04-30-2020, 10:12 AM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Re: The Blockbuster Is Dead

He didn't mention animation. They're already changing their models to have their artists work remotely/from home. That could include that type of animation we see in 300 and Sin City, and performance capture where the actors may not actually be integrated with each other on the set.

For storytellers, there might not be much change at all. It's never a good idea for us to chase trends, anyway. But, once the movie makers buy our stories, they may decide to do their end differently, whether the budget is small or large. Where we envisioned Johnny Depp in a pirate movie version of our submission, it may be animated or CGI.

And if the market does go "smaller", that should really impact reps: They'll have MORE and SMALLER SCALE prospects to take out, to match the supposed increased demand for more and smaller scale, and that means more work for them. Up off their a$$e$ and get to work, I say, and fewer rubbing-elbows-at-posh-parties types of events.

PS. Then there's this. Maybe small groups of writers could get together to make each other's films/re-use materials/sets, and do what he says here:
    Looking At Opportunity Beyond The Lockdown
    Last edited by catcon; 04-30-2020, 07:10 AM. Reason: added link I saw this morning

Comment

I had a conversation about exactly these points. I've also heard that there will be a rush for original content soon. This is a good video that makes a lot of sense. We're going to see production move stateside again.

And with Gov. Newsom promising every Los Angelian a free COVID-19 test, he's thinking about it too.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Re: "We're going to see production move stateside again."

This is what I thought also post-virus.

But then yesterday, a writing colleague mentioned that she saw a listing on Inktip (she's thinking of dropping this service) for rom-com scripts with a unique, foreign location.

So who really knows... guess we write what we want to write and whatever happens happens. Are most of you guys writing locations that are domestic?

p.s. I'm having a brain freeze. When pulling out a selection from a post to reply about, which icon do I use so that I don't have to use the Re: "..." like I did above? Didn't see it in the FAQ. Thanks.

Comment

> international

To make a point about something "going international", but still wanting the reader/producer to be aware that I was concerned about what this might mean to the budget for my low-budget, short (9 page) script Toaster!, I put this in the description:

"...the toaster monster goes international (or to various immigrant neighborhoods):"
          Wherein I have a MONTAGE showing locations in Little Italy, Chinatown, etc.

There's always a way to fake "international" setting without rebuilding 'em from scratch.

Comment

Yeah-nah! New Zealand has spent a month on lockdown before dropping back to level 3 (some shops open using drive through or contactless shopping. Since Monday KFCs have run out of chicken and Maccas out of lettuce then other stuff. There have been queues of cars blocking intersections and people immediately forgetting social distancing. We will be dropping to level 2 in 9 days but they can't wait.

Don't underestimate the Dumb-tards when rebuilding this world of ours and filling the cinemas with Avengers, Startrek/war movies.

"If you make it they will come."
            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
              p.s. I'm having a brain freeze. When pulling out a selection from a post to reply about, which icon do I use so that I don't have to use the Re: "..." like I did above? Didn't see it in the FAQ. Thanks.
              You click on the QUOTE button in the bottom right corner of the post(s) you want to quote.

The full post will appear in a new post for you to respond to below it with your comments.

The code at the beginning of the quote will look something like this:

QUOTE=socalwriter1;XXXXXX in brackets.

The XXXXs are an id number specific to the post you are quoting. There will then be a close out code of /quote in brackets as well the end of all the text.

If you want to individually quote different paragraphs to specifically respond to point by point, copy the main quote code with the username & post ID number with the brackets and paste that at the head of each paragraph or sentence. Copy the close out /quote in brackets code and then paste it at the end of each of those paragraphs or sentences.

Then type your response to each as desire in-between the quoted texts groupings.

Also use the PREVIEW POST button to check your work before clicking the SUBMIT REPLY. This will allow you in not only a quote "case" but for posting pages, formatting, font styling, spacing & layout, etc. to check your work. You can see how it looks and reads. Tweak it. Click PREVIEW POST again to check the new version and then proceed as desired.
              Will
              Done Deal Pro
              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Re: "We're going to see production move stateside again."

This is what I thought also post-virus.

But then yesterday, a writing colleague mentioned that she saw a listing on Inktip (she's thinking of dropping this service) for rom-com scripts with a unique, foreign location.

So who really knows... guess we write what we want to write and whatever happens happens. Are most of you guys writing locations that are domestic?

There will be places in the world that will be safer considerations for production, for example: South Korea, New Zealand (if they allow it), Taiwan and other countries that have a modest way of controlling infection rates.

There may still be a problem with countries in the southern hemisphere as they move into their "winter" when corona-type viruses tend to explode.

Mission Impossible won't be going back to Italy any time soon, you know? Getting projects insured will be paramount and in order to do that, you have to provide safe production. I can't see how a company would take the risk of people dying-- the liability could be too high.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Will, thanks. You would think by now that I would know this board by heart but guess not...

Southern_land and Finalact4 -- interesting that you guys mentioned New Zealand. The other writer pointed out to me that the Inktip lead used New Zealand as an example of a unique (desirable) movie location for a rom-com.

In these times, I don't see how they can get American actors and crew to fly anywhere overseas.

Comment

Will, thanks. You would think by now that I would know this board by heart but guess not...

Southern_land and Finalact4 -- interesting that you guys mentioned New Zealand. The other writer pointed out to me that the Inktip lead used New Zealand as an example of a unique (desirable) movie location for a rom-com.

In these times, I don't see how they can get American actors and crew to fly anywhere overseas.
                    We're going to have closed borders for some time by the sounds of things but if they were to factor a two week quarantine into the schedule/budget importing 'foreign' actors could be a thing. But the other side of that equation - pre-vaccine at least - and as long as we eradicate the virus internally is that those actors are 100% safe while they're here.
                    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

It's possible, but raises a lot of questions. With Disney+ and Netflix having deep pockets and probably seeing this as an opportune time to boost their brands, won't they pick up the blockbuster torch? I mean they financed some nearly 200m movies already.

Additionally, this talks about near future, but what if a suitable vaccine is developed and tested in the next few months? Then we could all be back in the cinemas comfortably within a year, no?

Good food for thought, but a bit too much definitive speculation imo. Nobody currently knows the future of the virus nor any specific industry.

Comment

Working...
                      X