No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommendations?

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
    But there is really no reason or incentive for doing so.

If you want to be helpful to others, on Thanksgiving you can serve turkey dinners to the homeless.

If you are in a race for a limited number of prizes, why would you recruit another runner?
    If you post a 5 page sample of your work and the writing is good enough, I'll give you a recommendation to anyone you want in the business.
    ScreenQuery.com | $5.50 Query Blast Service
    ScreenQuery Monthly Genre Contests - Coming Soon!

Comment

I already have a rep, Screen. But thanks anyway.

Comment

I already have a rep, Screen. But thanks anyway.
        Not from your posts you don't. I don't even think you are a screenwriter. If you are, I don't even think you've finished one script.

I've seen a lot of Bull****ters in my day, and you fit the bill.

No need to recommend you to representation. I'll send to a studio, with my personal credentials on the line.

Comment

Yeah, right, Screen. And I'm Napoleon Bonaparte.

Comment

If you want to be helpful to others, on Thanksgiving you can serve turkey dinners to the homeless.

If you are in a race for a limited number of prizes, why would you recruit another runner?
            I find this point of view disturbing.
            "There's one way to guarantee something won't be in the movie: put it in the screenplay."
            -Dan O'Bannon

Comment

I say you can be in the race and still help other runners along the way. Good karma and all that. I must say, this "all for one, all for none" attitude really pisses me off.
              Last edited by LIMAMA; 06-04-2009, 10:22 AM. Reason: me
              http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Hey, if I'm in the race, and I see the big prize at the end of the run, I'm not going to invite any new runners. If anything, I'm going to do a Tania Harding on that sucker and cap his ass!

Comment

Hey, if I'm in the race, and I see the big prize at the end of the run, I'm not going to invite any new runners. If anything, I'm going to do a Tania Harding on that sucker and cap his ass!

I don't think you'll ever see that prize, fella. Either way, best of luck in your search for professional representation.

*Beats Chest*

Comment

Well, I certainly won't see the prize using your stupid service. A year from now you'll find yourself telemarketting again.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                      I say you can be in the race and still help other runners along the way. Good karma and all that. I must say, this "all for one, all for none" attitude really pisses me off.
                      Agreed!

And not only that, but if one has a sufficient level of confidence in one's abilities, "who else is running" is more or less irrelevant.

Comment

But why bother, thought?

Is the competing writer so confident in his ability to write or network that he has time and capacity to "help" someone else? Don't you see the hubris in such an attitude?

Tend to your own garden.

Comment

Originally posted by ScreenQuery View Post

I've seen a lot of Bull****ters in my day, and you fit the bill.

No need to recommend you to representation. I'll send to a studio, with my personal credentials on the line.
                          Personal credentials?

What do you mean?

Don't you shoot people loglines in you blast service?

Is that now called "recommadation"?

Comment

But why bother, thought?

Is the competing writer so confident in his ability to write or network that he has time and capacity to "help" someone else? Don't you see the hubris in such an attitude?

Tend to your own garden.
                            I don't know why you're such a selfish pri*ck. You can't even finish a script after sucking up to your fake manager for two years. You're no threat to any writer on this site, even beginners. In the past month I've referred 3 writers to top agents. I am secure in my writing and even if I was not, "pay it forward" should be the norm in this world. You're obviously a soulless di*k.
                            "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

But why bother, thought?

Tend to your own garden.

There are a few things missing from this. No one is saying you should refer someone randomly, off of the street.

But here's the scenario (a true one):

- I have (had) a manager (whom I have left for various reasons, not the
                              least of which is that I'm more focused on directing in Canada right now
                              and need someone to help me in that respect).
                              - Friend A begins screenwriting. Mostly for fun.
                              - After writing a few scripts, I read one and think it's exceptional.
                              - He says "what do I do now?". I tell him he has to find representation.
                              - He begins a long process of querying, gets some bites, nothing solid.
                              - I tell him that I'd like to pass it on to *my* manager.
                              - I do.
                              - He's represented in LA by my now ex-manager.

Where's the hubris? He had talent. Natural talent. He's a friend. I like it when my friends succeed.

It was just the decent thing to do.

He's going wide in a few weeks. I'm shooting a feature length in September.
                              We all win and have a barbecue.

Comment

But why bother, thought?

Tend to your own garden.
                                Here's the thing, Farns.

No one makes it on their own.

If you have an iota of sense, you will burn this in to your brain. All those folks that you want to be like, and whose success you want to achieve, they all made it with the help of the people around them. This is how it works. When you are starting out, you create a network of cool, talented fun people that you would love to work with. And then you help each other. And you all rise together. And, if you manage to make it in this business, you will be working with many of those same people throughout your entire career. And you achieve this by being supportive, helpful, not being too timid to ask for help or advice when you need it, and generally being someone that other people want to be in business with.

You really don't win the race by tripping the guy next to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X