No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Success in Screenwriting without living in HW

Originally posted by catcon View Post
    As the OP, I think what I've drawn from the responses so far (besides the elucidation from the half dozen who reminded us once again that we should move to L.A.) is that we should not be focused only on HW but also market to the other film centers.

Get a credit there (it doesn't look any different on IMDB), and then HW may come calling. That puts us in the driver's seat.

Of course, by then, we may not want/need HW.

I've received a few PMs about my experiences with firms in Canada, U.K., etc. so there's a willingness or recognition of that. For one thing, we can expect few L.A. dwellers are going to be interested in competing in those other centers.
    Catcon:

Did you read Nic's post in the "Thank You Craig Mazin" thread. Go read. Now.
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
      A spec script doesn't have any address on it. So you can use it to get repped, sold, whatever.
      Even so, one of the first questions a rep always asks me in email or phone follow-up is "Where do you live?" I always sigh inwardly when I hear that.

I take it this is because they're not exactly sure how far out of L.A. my non-L.A. phone number is.

Producers (and managers who plan to essentially act like producers for this one script) don't care -- unless they're Canadian. In which case one of their first questions is always "Are you Canadian?" I always sigh inwardly when I hear that.
      Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Triggering off my last post -- if you are Canadian, make sure you scour IMDb and hit Canadian production companies with your best writing.

They're definitely looking for good Canadian writing because it helps their financing and makes them more flexible in recruiting actors/directors.

They're not typically big 25M+ studio films -- but there's solid and interesting indie production going on there and a lot of opportunities for good-paying TV movies where you can build up your credits, makes connections based on your writing, and learn screenwriting in the trenches.
        Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by sppeterson View Post
          Even so, one of the first questions a rep always asks me in email or phone follow-up is "Where do you live?" I always sigh inwardly when I hear that.

I take it this is because they're not exactly sure how far out of L.A. my non-L.A. phone number is.

Producers (and managers who plan to essentially act like producers for this one script) don't care -- unless they're Canadian. In which case one of their first questions is always "Are you Canadian?" I always sigh inwardly when I hear that.
          There are a few ways to make this a non-issue (but it does cost some money).

First, you can get an LA based cell phone.

Second, if your location is a real issue, just say "Hey, I'm going to be in town between such and such date. (give them a two week window) Can we meet for coffee?"

If they say no, they aren't interested. If they say sure, call their bluff. If they say yes, you meet.

Then go to VirginAmerica and book a flight from JFK to LAX.

Comment

First, you can get an LA based cell phone.
            Actually, I'm trying that trick now -- though I use my Sherman Oaks based Skype-in number and that plus email address is what goes on cover page.

I have to say I'm not entirely comfortable with doing this. I tried it in the past and the guy still asked me where I lived. When I said Virginia (at the time) I could tell he felt like I was trying to trick him -- which, ya know, I was...

This time I feel less uncomfortable because I'm visiting L.A. for one week each month and can say that it's my L.A. based number and go to meetings and such when I'm in town -- though even that's a bit of a stretch since it's actually my internet phone based number.
            Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

I don't actually know how Skype works. So sad. Can you get a call any time or do you need to be in front of your computer to receive a call?

Comment

There are Skype phones that can patch into your network, and I think Skype apps are available for some smartphones. But you normally need to be near a computer -- in that way it's like a land line.

And I've set up call-forwarding to my cell so it bounces over if I'm away.

I'd change my cell number since that's what I mainly use, but right now I've sort of established it as the number for my existing contacts as well as a number of scripts floating around already.
                Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

I don't actually know how Skype works. So sad. Can you get a call any time or do you need to be in front of your computer to receive a call?
                  I have a skype phone that is cordless. It has a USB dongle that plugs into my computer and the base unit that it charges on is on the other side of my room. The computer does need to be turned on and have skype running in order to use it, but that aside, it functions just like any other cordless phone.

I gather that a lot of the newer smartphones out there have skype features and you can also get dedicated skype phones that work without a computer in any wireless hotspot.
                  "Only nothing is impossible."
                  - Grant Morrison

Comment

Wes Jones, the writer who broke in with the number one script on the Black List 2010, is from Englewood Cliffs, NJ. And I believe he wrote that script while he was living in the 201 area code.

Comment

Wes Jones, the writer who broke in with the number one script on the Black List 2010, is from Englewood Cliffs, NJ. And I believe he wrote that script while he was living in the 201 area code.
                      This is interesting because you'd think this would happen each time HW finds a story, for whatever combination of reasons, that it wants to turn into a film. Not, even though it appears to be the case, because of geography alone, or the potential to get into meetings in person. HW is a business looking, hard, for a product, something viable to get interested in, something a bit different, occasionally. Yes/no/yes?
                      Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

just a minor add on/correction to that post, I didn't mean 'alone' ... i meant by a combo of -- talent/the project + geography + ability to take meets in person.
                        Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Where did *this thread* come from? Haven't read any of the pages, but here's my 2 cents, or 2 pence, or 2 pesos, or 2 whatever...

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                          Some of us can't move. <snippage> How do we outsiders succeed in spite of it?
                          Follow the path of others who have become successful.

Because this is a business of relationships and meetings, if you live in some other country you are at a disadvantage for Hollywood meetings...

But at an advantage for meetings in your country or region. You can be the big fish in the small pond... and that may lead to Hollywood becoming interested. If not, it still may result in a career as a screenwriter (just not in Hollywood films, and depending where you are - not in English).

We have some people here who are English as second language (or third, or tenth) and the problem with their pages is that they read like translations. My advice is usually to go with your strengths, not your weaknesses - your native language and making films in your native country. Yes, they will not star Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp... but if you build a reputation as a great screenwriting in your native country, you may get hired by Hollywood to write a movie that stars those two. Or, with the state of financing and co-productions these days - you may make a film in your country (or a neighbor) that stars those two that will be released by a studio in the USA. These days, much of Hollywood's money is coming from other countries - maybe yours.

One complaint people often make is "In our country the budgets are so much smaller than Hollywood's, but I want to write a huge tentpole!" Well, you may need to adjust down and be clever about ways to write big stories that can be made for little money or little stories with big impact.

Because I go to all of these film fests, I see movies from many different countries that just kick ass. I have seen *great* thrillers from Poland, Iran, Italy, Croatia, Korea, heck - probably everyplace on the map! There are also other genre films (and great dramas) but I like thrillers so those usually end up the movies I fall in love with. I have no idea whether the person who wrote the Iranian thriller I saw years ago was ever noticed by Hollywood, and they'd probably have some trouble getting over here if they did... but I'll bet they have a great career in Iran. That film was freakin' DUEL with a ten year old boy on foot instead of Dennis Weaver in a car. And here's the thing - I could tell the film had political/social elements I didn't get, but the story was riveting to a guy from the USA.

Just over a year ago I saw a *really* low budget gangster film from Italy called MOTHS that reminded me of Tarantino in the way it took a cliche gangster situation and turned it on its head. So lower budgets may be a challenge, but it's great to be challenged - you do better work. One year at an overseas festival I saw PRIMER (made in the USA) and that film does mind bending sci fi on a pocket change budget. You are only limited by your imagination - when there is no money, you just need more imagination and creativity. I have no idea if the writer of UK low budget film ALICE CREED has any heat in the USA, but he should. Saw that in a cinema in Los Angeles.

I think writing for Hollywood when you live somewhere else puts you at a disadvantage - not impossible, but difficult - and since you can't move here, look at where you live already. Hollywood is full of people with accents - many became big fish in their small pond, and then Hollywood noticed them and brought them over.

- Bill (first film: NINJA BUSTERS - made in Oakland, Ca - almost 400 miles from Hollywood... they did not come calling)
                          Free Script Tips:
                          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                            ...Bill (first film: NINJA BUSTERS - made in Oakland, Ca - almost 400 miles from Hollywood... they did not come calling)
                            First off, I'd tune to and stick with a movie called Ninja Busters any time I came across it on the dial. I'd never write such a flick, although come to think of it there is that kung fu fighting guy in my Zomedy.

Thanks for the great and USEFUL post. There's no place like home... maybe. A few of us have been PM'g and have come to similar conclusions, but it seems of course we all want to END UP in HW.

Comment

Great advice from Bill, especially for those who struggle with the English language. I think it's also important to succeed in your home market simply because it gives you a certain confidence. And having become a big fish in a small pond is the reason why it's time to go to Hollywood or Bust.

That being said, I think if you ultimately WANT to write for Hollywood, then you need to find a way to be in LA eventually. It is harsh when it comes from people already living in LA or Americans and it is easy to dismiss their advice on the basis that they are already there or they don't face the same annoying visa challenges etc, but it is the reality.

Perhaps if one were to answer the question of the thread: Success in Screenwriting without living in HW, the answer is that it depends on what you define as "success". If by that you mean having produced movies and credits, you don't have to be in Hollywood to do that. There are so many thriving industries in countries like India, Korea, China, Japan, and of course, the UK, France and Canada also afford many opportunities.

But if you want to write HOLLYWOOD MOVIES, and you want to have screenwriting success as defined by the American Screenwriter, then I think without a doubt, eventually, at some point, being in LA is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by madyellowduck View Post
                                But if you want to write HOLLYWOOD MOVIES, and you want to have screenwriting success as defined by the American Screenwriter, then I think without a doubt, eventually, at some point, being in LA is a must.
                                I think this is right.

I get plenty of reads, have some great contacts and I've even received some small offers from HW (and the UK), but not being on the spot is a disadvantage. It's hard to be part of something when you are not part of it!

My problem is that there has been no market in Australia for the type of commercial screenplays I love to write, so I've been 'forced' offshore.

But things are changing and now I have a director partner my focus is switching back to Australia and we're making shorts with a view to producing our own feature.

Funny thing is, now I've gone into local mode, a Sydney prodco is trying to set up a co-production with a HW producer for my animated spec, a much more realistic way for me to achieve something over there.
                                TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Working...
                                X