No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Franklin Leonard

Originally posted by ScreenRider View Post
    So I got back all 5 Black List evaluations for my script and it was a straight flush. Scores of 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. I think I'll take a long break before rolling that ten-sided dice again.
    Un-freakin-believable.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the Caribbean, Franklin Leonard orders another Mai Tai.

Comment

Originally posted by jroger View Post
      Meanwhile, somewhere in the Caribbean, Franklin Leonard orders another Mai Tai.
      This one is on me, Franklin.

Comment

Originally posted by ScreenRider View Post
        So I got back all 5 Black List evaluations for my script and it was a straight flush. Scores of 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. I think I'll take a long break before rolling that ten-sided dice again.
        ugh, that's not good.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Quite a long time ago...

(Quick search on DDPro search page... everybody should know how useful this is)

Pitching as a Lottery

I opined what it would be like to spend my discretionary income on lottery tickets, instead of script services.

I barely have money for either, these days, but I do spend that $5 per week on a lottery practically no matter what condition my bank account is in.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
            While we're on the subject this was one of the reviews I got on there years back that I emailed them about. Still hilarious.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...5&postcount=61
            Wow, that is awful.
            Hobby Writer

Comment

The problem with all for-profit script-listing sites is that the return on investment for writers is dismal. Only a tiny percentage of scripts get read, and an even tinier percentage of listings lead to options, sales, representation, or paying work.

I wrote a blog about what disputing the screenwriting marketplace might look like:

https://lauridonahue.com/disrupting-...tplace-stps-3/
              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                The problem with all for-profit script-listing sites is that the return on investment for writers is dismal. Only a tiny percentage of scripts get read, and an even tinier percentage of listings lead to options, sales, representation, or paying work.

I wrote a blog about what disputing the screenwriting marketplace might look like:

https://lauridonahue.com/disrupting-...tplace-stps-3/
                and it's no different than a respected screenwriting contest.

when i hear statements about how dismal the chances are with a for-profit screenwriting site, i'm amazed that anyone thinks entering a screenwriting competition is any different. i mean, seriously. chances of winning the Nicholl are "dismal, too."

let's consider a little perspective working off facts.

2018 Nicholl
                i think we all agree that the semifinalists are the most important 'winners,' right? here are the results for 2018.

entrants = 6,895
                semifinalists = 10
                percent chance = 0.0014 or 0.14%
                quarter finalists = 226
                quarter finalists = 0.0327 or 3.2%

corrected noted: (thank you Greg)
                entrants = 6,895 (from the https://www.oscars.org/news/academy-...creenwriters-1
                finalists = 10
                semifinalists = 149
                percent chance = .0216 or 2.16%
                quarter finalists = 375
                quarter finalists = .0545 or 5.4%

looks dismal to me. one tenth of one percent. and you can ONLY enter ONCE a year. there is an entry fee.

The Black List (website) using this as a comparison because i can access the information.

hosted scripts = 3,747 (rolling annually not once a year)
                top monthly = 76 scripts (two ratings required)
                percent = 2%
                top quarterly = 213 scripts (two ratings required)
                percent = 5.6%
                top annual = 208 scripts (four ratings required)
                percent = 5.5%

*this can result in thousands of views of your script over a year's time. and you can host more scripts as you write them throughout the year. the downside is that there is a fee and it can add up.

these are facts.

the bottom line that seems to elude many is that there just aren't that many amateur writers that are good enough, yet. and the truth is many never will be. you can't blame it on a competition or a for-profit website. it's a simple fact.

these are opportunities to get your work noticed. the chances are always dismal, that's why the reward is so coveted.

just because you write a script doesn't mean you deserve attention for it. you have to earn it. there are no short cuts. it takes perseverance, dedication and discipline.

every writer must follow their own path. something that works for one may not work for the other. i don't waste my time with Nicholl because i know i don't write material that would do well with that competition. that's my choice.

writers should seek opportunities and if that means the only thing you can do is send 300 queries, then that's what you do. if you have the means to do more. do it.

my only advice would be to be cautious about anything that the industry doesn't use or has't heard about. because winning that could be meaningless.
                Last edited by finalact4; 05-30-2019, 11:02 AM.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  and it's no different than a respected screenwriting contest.

when i hear statements about how dismal the chances are with a for-profit screenwriting site, i'm amazed that anyone thinks entering a screenwriting competition is any different. i mean, seriously. chances of winning the Nicholl are "dismal, too."
                  I agree. The odds are dismal no matter how you look at them.

I wrote a blog about that, too.

https://lauridonahue.com/tell-me-the-odds-stps-2/

The point of the disruption blog is to suggest a new model, and one less dependent on reps.
                  "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                    2018 Nicholl
                    i think we all agree that the semifinalists are the most important 'winners,' right? here are the results for 2018.

entrants = 6,895
                    semifinalists = 10
                    quarter finalists = 226
                    quarter finalists = 0.0327 or 3.2%

looks dismal to me. one tenth of one percent. and you can ONLY enter ONCE a year. there is an entry fee.

. . .

these are facts.
                    Things may be dismal, but at least you should make an attempt at being accurate.

About 5% of Nicholl entries advance to the quarterfinals each year.

For about a decade, approximately 150 scripts have reached the semifinals each year.

In 2018, 349 scripts advanced to the quarterfinals, and 151 of those scripts advanced to the semifinals.

Comment

• Re: Franklin Leonard

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                      Things may be dismal, but at least you should make an attempt at being accurate.

For about a decade, approximately 150 scripts have reached the semifinals each year.

In 2018, 349 scripts advanced to the quarterfinals, and 151 of those scripts advanced to the semifinals.
                      hey Greg:
                      no disrespect intended, honestly. i pulled the numbers from the internet and you're right, i did misread the post about the quarterfinalists. my apologies. mistakes do happen. surely you can understand that. it wasn't a deliberate miscalculation.

still the semifinals are just slightly above 2%.

and my comments certainly aren't a dig at the Nicholl fellowship at all, it was a comparison that it's difficult to be the best no matter which resource you use to advance your career.

so, here's the update:

entrants = 6,895 (from the https://www.oscars.org/news/academy-...creenwriters-1
                      finalists = 10
                      semifinalists = 149
                      percent chance = .0216 or 2.16%
                      quarter finalists = 375
                      quarter finalists = .0545 or 5.4%

my point wasn't that it's not worth trying, my point is that it's tough all around.
                      FA4

Comment

Greg,
                        How's "retirement" treating you?

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post

Ha ha, all these metrics make me dizzy!

How about one for number of submissions. I've submitted my 13th different script to Nicholl this year, in 5 tries (years: 2010, 2014-16 and 2019)! What're my chances? 0.0001%?

Comment

As daunting as the statistics may seem, I, for one, am thankful for all of the screenplay outlets the computer revolution has provided. Things nowadays seem better (to me) than sending stamped query letters (incurring the cost of envelopes, stamps, paper, and typewriter ribbon).

As for increased competition thanks to the ease of mass communication provided by technology, those with drive, determination, dogged persistence, talent, and luck will eventually find their place in the limelight. Cream always rises to the top.
                            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Here's a fun stat... 99.5%* of screenplays that become films weren't entered into one script contest.

*Yes I just made that up, I think it may be higher actually...

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                                Here's a fun stat... 99.5%* of screenplays that become films weren't entered into one script contest.

*Yes I just made that up, I think it may be higher actually...
                                Ah, but the contest winners that WERE made into movies are always* an hour and a half of talking heads, sitting around a kitchen table and pondering their navels.

Obviously the world can't get enough of that.

*always is used in loosest sense here to mean "every single f@cking time".
                                "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Working...
                                X