Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WGA questions

I'm brand new to the WGA and will call them later today, but would like to see if anyone here can answer a few questions now:
    1. With regard to packaging, what if a small management company wants to represent a project or two of mine along with some of their clients (i.e. talent)? In other words, these are managers (not agents) who are looking to package and produce projects. Does this go against Guild guidelines?
    2. What if I sell a spec project that I collaborated on with a non-Guild writer? How does that work - being that I'm now a Guild member but he isn't?

Thanks in advance!

Re: WGA questions

managers are not licensed fiduciaries under California law in the same way as agents are and can take a production fee (in lieu of commission) if the client agrees up front

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
      I'm brand new to the WGA and will call them later today, but would like to see if anyone here can answer a few questions now:
      1. With regard to packaging, what if a small management company wants to represent a project or two of mine along with some of their clients (i.e. talent)? In other words, these are managers (not agents) who are looking to package and produce projects. Does this go against Guild guidelines?
      2. What if I sell a spec project that I collaborated on with a non-Guild writer? How does that work - being that I'm now a Guild member but he isn't?

Thanks in advance!
      1. The Guild's beef with the ATA involves agencies taking television packaging fees. What you're talking about doesn't involve agencies, television, or fees. You're fine.
      2. If you (a Guild member) co-write a project, its sale price will have to be (at least) in line with minimums, and your non-Guild co-writer will earn points toward membership for any steps that are part of the sale.

Comment

Thank you both!

Comment

Hey there. A few more questions regarding the WGA:
          1. What if a WGA writer (which I am) collaborates with a non-WGA writer and sells a spec screenplay? Would the WGA minimum apply and then the collaborators split fees equally among themselves (or according to whatever arrangement they have)? Or would the non-WGA writer have to join the Guild in order to make this happen? And what if the producer is not a signatory, which brings up my next question...
          2. I've been told (by a fellow WGA writer) if a non-signatory producer wants to purchase a screenplay from a WGA writer that the best way to go (assuming the producer doesn't want to become a permanent signatory) is for the producer to set up an LLC and become a signatory on that one project -- so they don't have to be a signatory on all future movies they produce. Is this accurate? If not, I'm wondering how Guild members are ever able to work with non-signatories -- or maybe they don't.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I've been told (by a fellow WGA writer) if a non-signatory producer wants to purchase a screenplay from a WGA writer that the best way to go (assuming the producer doesn't want to become a permanent signatory) is for the producer to set up an LLC and become a signatory on that one project -- so they don't have to be a signatory on all future movies they produce. Is this accurate?
            Yes. This is common.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
              I've been told (by a fellow WGA writer) if a non-signatory producer wants to purchase a screenplay from a WGA writer that the best way to go (assuming the producer doesn't want to become a permanent signatory) is for the producer to set up an LLC and become a signatory on that one project -- so they don't have to be a signatory on all future movies they produce. Is this accurate?
              That's what happened with "Walk. Ride. Rodeo." when it changed prodco hands. I imagine it's fairly common.

Comment

Yes, if a cowritten script sells, the non-WGA partner should join the WGA. Unless they're a producer on the project, which is a muddy area.
                - - - - - - -
                Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

Working...
                X