Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #121
docgonzo

Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Well, I guess I kinda sort of know Bono. So there's one!

And I think the line between querying and referrals is clear. No need to hash that out.

How many repped/pro writers do I know? Probably 10-15 at this point. They got reps through referrals, fellowships, and working on shows as PAs and WAs.

I've never had any success with it. Tons of reads and a grand total of one meeting with a manager who offered representation, but in the end I'm glad I said no. He would've sucked.

And that post from the BL is six years old. Isn't that around the time it started? I'd guess there was more excitement about it then, so an 8 would get more recognition. I'm not sure if that's the case now. The shine seems to have worn off. But I could be wrong.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #122
Friday
Regular

Is there a difference between now and maybe 5 years ago? Different writers have broken in at different time periods so they might have different experiences.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #123
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Well, I guess I kinda sort of know Bono. So there's one!

And I think the line between querying and referrals is clear. No need to hash that out.

How many repped/pro writers do I know? Probably 10-15 at this point. They got reps through referrals, fellowships, and working on shows as PAs and WAs.

I've never had any success with it. Tons of reads and a grand total of one meeting with a manager who offered representation, but in the end I'm glad I said no. He would've sucked.

And that post from the BL is six years old. Isn't that around the time it started? I'd guess there was more excitement about it then, so an 8 would get more recognition. I'm not sure if that's the case now. The shine seems to have worn off. But I could be wrong.
now you know two.

it's weird, i wrote this post and it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

i had two rep offers within a week of sending queries and about two dozen read requests. i had to send out emails telling the remaining requests that the spec was no longer available for consideration. i used the fact that i had Black List scores of 8s and 9s in the query. people in the industry probably "know" about the Black List more now than they did a couple years ago. other pro writers refer to it [the black list] as a resource to have your work be noticed.

a few people, among many, who do respond to queries:

1. Jake Wagner
2. Brooklyn Weaver
3. Aaron Kaplan
4. David Alpert
5. Adam Kolbrenner

remember that most managers at this level are also producers, so to attract them they have to really love, love, love your material. they are not the only game in town, but i say this to show that some of the biggest game play. there are many others that do as well.

there are many ways to break in. referrals are difficult if you're an out of towner, living on the outside looking in, simply because you are not in proximity to make those direct connections. queries work. believe it or not, your choice in the matter. 10% return on a well constructed logline is average in my experience. send hundreds if you can. it's a numbers game.

don't give up. don't give in.

no one in hollywood made it because they quit.

My opinions are just that-- opinions.
https://www.lisamolusis.com/project-02
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM   #124
GucciGhostXXX
User

Guess I'm the late guy to the party...

After not being a writer for 3 years I tried the Black List website to get my foot back in the door as a writer without having to call in favors. I dunno, guess I was being stubborn. I was hella skeptical, for good reason. Put my script up. I got low scores on everything but my character work. Bruh, I already sold this script! WTF!? I got zero read requests. None.

I don't know what I was thinking. I said "F' this!", pulled the script down and went the traditional route. Called in favors to pass my stuff around. A couple weeks later I was repped up again. That's how I got repped the second time.

To add to the data: I don't know anyone who's gotten repped by cold query nor The Black List website.

And here's a miserable stat: My ex (CAA agent) in 15 years never signed anyone who came to her via the "friends and family" submission. 100 reads? Hard to say. Most of them she just had them 'covered', read the coverage, and passed based on that. She never signed anyone who wasn't a referral from someone else high up. NO ONE. EVER. In fact, she never chased clients. Never read queries. Never went to conferences. Never read a single script on the real BlackList (though some of her clients were on it). Clients were basically handed to her on a silver platter. Agents have it cush...

Managers work a little (MUCH?) harder to find new clients.

ps... I remember when Franklin asked my ex what she thought of the idea of starting the Blacklist (the real one). She's one of the people he pitched the idea to first. She told me the idea. I thought it was cool. But, it's turned into something insidious (the website). Although, in Franklin's defense, I'd sell out the Blacklist name too. Why not? This whole town is insidious.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #125
UpandComing

The guy who wrote this Reddit post (who sold a script to a low-level producer through the BL website) thinks that the main people who find use for the site are up-and-coming producers seeking low-budget material they can produce. Not so much managers (particularly high-level ones) or agents.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...le_maximizing/

I think this is one of the reasons we'll never see the BL put out information about representation outcomes for the site.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #126
GucciGhostXXX
User

...Oh, and let me add that:

My same (dark) script that tanked on TheBlacklist website via low scores and zero reads is the same script that went to showrrunners and got me in the running for 3 network shows.

Trippy shiz... I don't get this town.
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #127
GucciGhostXXX
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandComing View Post
The guy who wrote this Reddit post (who sold a script to a low-level producer through the BL website) thinks that the main people who find use for the site are up-and-coming producers seeking low-budget material they can produce. Not so much managers (particularly high-level ones) or agents.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...le_maximizing/

I think this is one of the reasons we'll never see the BL put out information about representation outcomes for the site.
True, it's a great place to pad your PILE if you're a wannabe producer. Free filtering system for a dude running an operation out of his closet. They don't pay, correct?

Ps... Franklin, you're welcome, I bought you dinner!
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #128
UpandComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
True, it's a great place to pad your PILE if you're a wannabe producer. Free filtering system for a dude running an operation out of his closet. They don't pay, correct?

Ps... Franklin, you're welcome, I bought you dinner!
Nope, pro members don't have to pay a cent. Just us rich writers! Gotta love it.

You seem to have been in this town for some time. Feel free to chime in with any knowledge/thoughts you may have in the Daily Beast thread (in the Articles section) about Max Landis. Like whether his career is over, lol.