WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the BEST?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WGA Firings - is this the worst time to a manager/agent - or the BEST?

Thanks everyone - he’s on my creep radar now.

Comment

worst

I don't know why we are driving around (cough, last name reference) who this guy is... F-him and the horse you paid him to ride in on.

Comment

Re: Sc?

Originally posted by x32792 View Post
        Sorry to be slow in my response (failed to check this thread, had my notifications turned off - my bad), Yes, it was SC.
        I spoke with him, too. I reached out to him about my screenplay and he responded quickly, saying he'd love to read it (never mentioned a fee). He received it and said he'd get back to me within the next two weeks about it.

Three weeks later - nothing. I checked back in, and he said he hadn't gotten to it yet but "I will get to it before the month is over."

A week after the month ended, still nothing. Checked in again, and he immediately wrote back and said "Still haven't touched it. Low on my priority list. Let's do this: if I get it and if I respond to it, I'll reach back out. Till then, there's no need for you to do any more followup. Thanks."

That was two months ago.

Hey, I understand a guy can get busy. But when you give someone a commitment date - TWICE - then get pissy about a friendly check-in fairly well after the date has expired - and then it's discovered he has a reputation for charging hopefuls for reads -- I'm really no longer interested. I'll find someone I can count on to keep their word, and that I can trust to look out for MY best interests.
        Last edited by Cokeyskunk; 05-16-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

i hate this thread title

His response to you was nicer than my last agent who repped me when I asked him questions... but yes move on anyway. Just saying.

Comment

Re: i hate this thread title

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            His response to you was nicer than my last agent who repped me when I asked him questions... but yes move on anyway. Just saying.
            Definitely have moved on. In talks with another manager now.

So -- your OWN agent was an ass to you whenever you asked him anything? I don't see how that helps the "client-rep" relationship in the least.

I don't know, man. I feel like if you can't treat people like human beings, you shouldn't be in this business. And sadly, way too many people like that are.

Comment

WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the BEST?

@Cokeyskunk Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. All the best with your 'new' manager.

Comment

Originally posted by x32792 View Post
                @Cokeyskunk Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. All the best with your 'new' manager.
                Well thanks, but I just heard back from him. Not the greatest news, as you can see:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...d.php?p=961967

I guess this IS the worst time to try to find a rep.

Comment

Re: i hate this thread title

Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
                  Definitely have moved on. In talks with another manager now.

So -- your OWN agent was an ass to you whenever you asked him anything? I don't see how that helps the "client-rep" relationship in the least.

I don't know, man. I feel like if you can't treat people like human beings, you shouldn't be in this business. And sadly, way too many people like that are.
                  I was going over the top, he was nice when he had my spec to sell, but one of the last emails from him was very "why are you bothering me" and "I will stop emailing you" and we were asking about getting paid for work done, so it wasn't minor stuff...

Managers too... I just had bad experiences. I'm not saying it's all bad, but it was like "Let's break you in together..." it's more let's throw your writing at a wall, if it sells, then I can help you, if it doesn't I got nothing.

And I feel these stories are more common than the ones that we all dream about...

But I still stay positive as I keep on writing, so don't give up. The same people that didn't' do great for me, also have clients that write huge movies. But just realize it's the writers are doing 99% of the hard work. Never forget that.

And it only matters how they treat YOU.

Comment

In defense of agents and managers, there's just so much stuff out there they will spend most of their time on projects which have the greatest potential to make them some money.

So unless you're packing some serious gonzo credits and big box-office paydays, few will find time to read so much as your title.

With no tears in my eyes, I'm just saying, "It is what it is."

Comment

Re: WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent

Verve signs the WGA's Code of Conduct!

https://deadline.com/2019/05/verve-w...ht-1202616769/

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post

Are you at Verve? I know you've said you had specs go out recently - have you seen any downside in trying to get elements attached by not being at a three letter place? Because the idea of Verve appeals to me. My manager seems less keen, but it may be his big agency legacy brainwashing.

Comment

That's AWESOME. Now we can have SOME agents back to work. Let's hope they're the first domino.

Comment

this is awesome. i would bet they are in high demand and will be quite busy as the holdout big four may start to lose clients when writers are tired of not having an agent.

maybe they have room to grow?
                            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Re: WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent -

I was getting about a 10% read request from Managers up till April and since then zero. Could this be put down whats happening with the WGA ?

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Comment

Re: WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent -

Originally posted by lumous View Post
                                I was getting about a 10% read request from Managers up till April and since then zero. Could this be put down whats happening with the WGA ?

Anyone else have similar experiences?
                                that's the impression i get from screenwriter twitter. managers have been fully occupied with the clients who fired their ATA agents and it's probably going to continue like this for the foreseeable future (unless something gets worked out soon)

Comment

Working...
                                X