Time it takes your agent to read material?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time it takes your agent to read material?

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
    Man alive, I'm starting to fully understand that old phrase "hurry up and wait!" So my agents finally read the spec after a month. They loved it. Great news. They think it's perfect for the market. Fantabulous. Buuuut... now they wanna attach a hot director to increase its selling potential before taking it out to folks. My managers think this is a smart option. Turns out there's a very hot director on my agency's roster who is looking for this kinda script. So my agent talks to the director about the script, director likes the sound of it. Script is sent across... 2 weeks later and I'm still waiting to hear whether the director is attaching or not. It's been almost 7 weeks since my managers signed off on the spec, keen to go wide with it. Ooof this is the most drawn out process I've had with a spec before it's gone out. I've done page 1 rewrites in a quicker time! Any other DD'ers experienced something similar before?
    I definitely prefer going wide and blasting it out there to this strategic, calculated approach which has thus far resulted in a slow drawn out process that you describe. From my perspective the urgency around going wide is not manufactured. Ultimately a more disciplined approach is probably for the best if you've been "introduced" to the town already, but I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around. And there is a distinct lack of dopamine rush just twiddling my thumbs and writing other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
      Man alive, I'm starting to fully understand that old phrase "hurry up and wait!" So my agents finally read the spec after a month. They loved it. Great news. They think it's perfect for the market. Fantabulous. Buuuut... now they wanna attach a hot director to increase its selling potential before taking it out to folks. My managers think this is a smart option. Turns out there's a very hot director on my agency's roster who is looking for this kinda script. So my agent talks to the director about the script, director likes the sound of it. Script is sent across... 2 weeks later and I'm still waiting to hear whether the director is attaching or not. It's been almost 7 weeks since my managers signed off on the spec, keen to go wide with it. Ooof this is the most drawn out process I've had with a spec before it's gone out. I've done page 1 rewrites in a quicker time! Any other DD'ers experienced something similar before?
      hmm... i don't have this experience, but why can't your team give him a deadline and tell him you need a response by such and such date and if we don't hear from you we need to move on and open it up to the market. or another director? i mean, there was a holiday weekend right? he's not on set is he? this director?

they work for you, right? if one director is potentially interested then others will be too. and why did it take them a month to read your spec? Time is money.

it's a consideration. no?
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
        hmm... i don't have this experience, but why can't your team give him a deadline and tell him you need a response by such and such date and if we don't hear from you we need to move on and open it up to the market. or another director? i mean, there was a holiday weekend right? he's not on set is he? this director?

they work for you, right? if one director is potentially interested then others will be too. and why did it take them a month to read your spec? Time is money.

it's a consideration. no?
        All valid points and maybe they can/have. It's not something they've relayed back to me though. The director has just come off the back of a number of hit movies at the BO (grossing over a billion dollars) and has signed on to do a sequel to one of them already. No doubt there's a lot of projects being sent to him right now from producers, studios and his reps of course -- my script being one of them. But it's none the less frustrating. As for why it took 'em a month to read in the first place, goodness knows. Normally they're much quicker.

Comment

Working...
        X