Movies with the longest development hell?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies with the longest development hell?

I was just re-watching TOTAL RECALL and this time I caught the Special Features. One of those flicks that took a while to get made. One of the writers optioned the PKD short story back in the 70's for 1K! Then it went through tons of producers/ studios / directors / actors / writers, and I guess if DiLaurentis hadn't gone bankrupt and had to resell the property, it would have starred Patrick Swayze and been shot in Australia. All in all, it took at least ten years as far as I could tell, not to mention a zillion rewrites because nobody could agree on the third act (DiLaurentis hated the whole alien air part for a long time). And casting Arnold carried a lot of weight eventually, because by then he had become a much bigger star than he was when first approached.

I'm always interested in script to screen stories, especially when they involve major films that nobody wanted to / was able to make for a long time. Not only do I find it fascinating Hollywood trivia, but also strangely encouraging for a writer --some things take time, what might not be right now could be in 10 years, one person's trash is another's treasure, etc. etc.

Anyway, curious to know what are some of your favorite tales in that regard. I actually got a bit weepy watching a documentary on the making of GONE WITH THE WIND, when they pre-premiered it to an unsuspecting audience in the desert on a blistering summer day, went up on stage and told them the advertised double-feature had changed, and that they would be locking the doors so to please go to the bathroom or make a phone call now, if they must... Then when the words "Based on the bestelling novel by Margaret Mitchell" (temp credits) appeared on screen, the crowd just went ballistic, because by then, most of America had followed the drama and been waiting for years for the film to come out.

Re: Movies with the longest development hell?

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
    I actually got a bit weepy watching a documentary on the making of GONE WITH THE WIND, when they pre-premiered it to an unsuspecting audience in the desert on a blistering summer day, went up on stage and told them the advertised double-feature had changed, and that they would be locking the doors so to please go to the bathroom or make a phone call now, if they must... Then when the words "Based on the bestelling novel by Margaret Mitchell" (temp credits) appeared on screen, the crowd just went ballistic[...]
    I know I would have.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

You should read Tales from Development Hell. The book is all about those stories. The Planet of the Apes remake was my favorite.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Well, ATLAS SHRUGGED was in hell for forty years, and ON THE ROAD is finally getting made thirty years after Coppola bought the rights.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Larry Kasdan wrote "The Bodyguard" as a vehicle for Steve McQueen and Diana Ross in the 1970s.

"Watchmen" was producer Larry Gordon's dream project since he read the series in its original serialized form. He even got a hold of the last issue's galleys (original black and white pages).
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
            You should read Tales from Development Hell. The book is all about those stories. The Planet of the Apes remake was my favorite.
            I'll have to check that out, thanks.

For the films that took decades, it really sucks that some of the original authors are no longer around to see it happen. Then again, in some cases it might be a good thing.

Comment

They say people fought over the rights to make Spider-Man for 17 years.
              "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
              - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                They say people fought over the rights to make Spider-Man for 17 years.

1985-2002, I believe.
                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I heard that Dragonriders of Pern has been under option since the first book was published in the '60s.
                  Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

A Princess of Mars has taken a long time to be made into a movie.

Anyone know when that's coming out?
                    @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
                      A Princess of Mars has taken a long time to be made into a movie.

Anyone know when that's coming out?
                      What you did there -- I see it.

I guess Don Quixote has to be up there. Poor Gilliam.

Comment

Working...
                      X