Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
Joseph "Maiingan" Braun
User

Default Producers to query with Crime Thriller

Hi Everyone.

I have a fun, tightly-written crime thriller, entitled Tainted Justice. I'm about to start researching on IMDb Pro, but would appreciate any names of producers who like this genre.

Log Line: A gifted San Francisco homicide detective fights to catch a brilliant judge killing early parolee sex criminals he sent to prison for life.

Thank you for any and all feedback.

Joe Braun
Old 07-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Default Re: Producers to query with Crime Thriller

As always, I don't want to sound like I'm shilling for main site, but you can run searches for this exact type of info on our site. It was designed for that purpose. You can see what companies picked up projects/genres like yours, what the story-lines are, who repped the writers, and so on.

This can all work hand-in-hand with IMDBpro, of course.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
Joseph "Maiingan" Braun
User

Thanks Will. I find IMDb to be extremely laborious to search. I'm hoping DDP has better filters, etc. to narrow down results quicker.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Of course. And since we never want anyone paying for our site (or any site) if it can't help them, take a look out our FAQ page: https://www.donedealpro.com/faq.aspx

If you scroll down a tiny bit, there are screenshot examples of what our various pages look like. That might help you decide where the site can be of some help to you or not.

We do have a pretty "solid" search page for narrowing down results. In your case, you could do a search for any CRIME projects or THRILLER projects. (Many go hand-in-hand so you will see some overlap.) You could narrow down your search to say the last three years or so to focus on more current deals & companies.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
catcon

We're talking DATA, here, and sometimes it's all in how you ask the question to the on-line source you're using.

DDPro/IMDB:

A couple of months ago I signed up for IMDBpro and DDPro, at about the same time. First off, let me say that I search almost exclusively for PRODUCERS, and then analyze the films they make. As it turned out, I've used IMDB 10x more, only because of the more immediate layout of the company search results and their films. But there's no ready way to search for genre (which is the OPs issue).

I "could" have gone through every producer on either IMDB and checked their films, but it was using the DDPro Deal Search, filtered by Genre. that was the eye-opener, and extremely valuable.

I'd imagine the same info could be derived by searching DDPro under Producers, and picking the genres they're "interested in", eg. "Crime". However, this may exclude actual past deals they've had under "Crime". (Will?)

In any event, I have some odd genres and genre-mixes in my writing, so using the Deals Archive search, filtered by Genre (for only the past two years, to reduce the result set somewhat and eliminate some dupes), I got access to lots of new producers I'd never have thought to check for. Some major players!

Then...

LinkedIn:

Next up, I always confirm an individual's (and sometimes a company's) contact information on LinkedIn, so be sure to sign up there for a free membership.

Lastly, as often as not, I try to 'Connect' using LinkedIn as opposed to sending an email pitch to the company (if I'd even been able to find web/email contact on DDpro/IMDB; sometimes you can't).

I figure few want to see a straight-forward pitch these days.

Anyway, I did this for about about 10 contacts yesterday. Three rejected my connection request right away, which means they're looking at these LinkedIn messages that appear in their in-box, but the other connection requests are pending.

(And while I'm on this, when I ask to 'connect' via LinkedIn, I rarely pitch a script. It's more about offering to collaborate, or check my website because I'm under the radar, etc. You only have 300 chars in the 'connection box' anyway.)

Summary:

So, you have to use any/all tools at your disposal.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #6
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
We're talking DATA, here, and sometimes it's all in how you ask the question to the on-line source you're using.

DDPro/IMDB:
I'd imagine the same info could be derived by searching DDPro under Producers, and picking the genres they're "interested in", eg. "Crime". However, this may exclude actual past deals they've had under "Crime". (Will?)
It can depend. Most of the time, I'd suggest searching for a genre (Crime, Thriller, Comedy, Drama, etc.) via the DEALS page(s) during the the last three to five years so you're getting a list of more recent projects and in this case, companies have made deals involving a particular genre. Our database goes back nearly 23 years, so obviously, there are companies from years ago that might have worked with particular genres at one point, but are no longer around.

Now, yes, you can run searches from the Production Companies Search Page based on specific genres. Never a bad thing to do in terms of a cross-check. And when you run a search like that it should bring up every deal they've been associated with related to that genre we have listed. Deals made generally drive why a genre is included for a company. (Granted a couple of things could have gotten missed, but should be pretty darn accurate.)

Mainly, I'd only do that search as more of a double-check/back-up check. As noted, we "add" company genre interests primarily based on the deals a company has made, what has been announced at some point about their focus and/or based on what is noted on their company website. That said, I try to be careful about which genres are included as being of "interest" to a company especially if it seems like a one-off thing. I don't want people suddenly thinking that's a super relevant genre for them. I make that call based on what they have done in the past in terms of deals, produced projects and also my own experiences, to some degree. In other words, a little bit of a gut and instincts can come into play in some cases.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 07-27-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #7
catcon

I think what we should add, with respect to the due diligence one does with searches by genre, is that just because a company's made a similar film doesn't mean they are in any way shape or fashion in interested in another.

I pitched a company on a zomedy I had; they'd done one and I thought...

He did request mine, but he didn't really want to get into it after the experience on their own. (It wasn't too successful)

Too bad; my fun take on the theme was more like Shaun of Dead than Zombieland, but theirs was more like Zombieland with heightened violence and sex. Kind of silly, really. It's a zomedy, so let's emphasize the comedy and the reactions of the human cast in lieu of the violence in a realistic zombie horror/sci-fi, eh. And sex in a zomedy? Hmmph.

In other words, sometimes you can't win them over, with regard to genre, no matter what they've done that's similar.

But, if they've done 2-3 or more you can bet they'd be interested in something similar but different, especially if it has franchise possibilities. Boy, they love those.

With the search results in even just the past few days, DDPro's $ was worth it. Especially when compared to a one-per pitch price of $10 on VPF, etc.

Thx!
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #8
Joseph "Maiingan" Braun
User

Thanks again.